daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 05:51 PM   #11201
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Ok, now I took my mum's car... and the clutch breaks. Looks like conspiracy on the World Car Free Day. I better not ask my sister to lend me her car, it will probably explode.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:08 PM   #11202
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

how can a clutch break? I was in Paris centre today with my car. no sign of World car free day.

Last edited by hofburg; September 22nd, 2011 at 06:14 PM.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:21 PM   #11203
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
how can a clutch break?
Something happens inside (which you don't see) and the clutch stays at the bottom (where you pushed it). It's already happened to me, during driving (on my sister's car, so I won't use it just in case).
Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:32 PM   #11204
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

ohm so today is that day. it is ok, but i hate it from one reason: previous years they used to close whole centre of my city for traffic the whole week, what caused horrible crowds around the city centre. they really haven't got anything with that. and we don't have public transportation, so that's additional fact what makes that action more stupid.
i don't know have they done it also this year, i wasn't in centre.

in Zagreb there were some activists fighting against driving on public transportation lanes with Chuch Norris that's ok because there are still too many drivers obeying ban of driving on lanes for public transportation making it too slow.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 10:13 PM   #11205
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Something happens inside (which you don't see) and the clutch stays at the bottom (where you pushed it). It's already happened to me, during driving (on my sister's car, so I won't use it just in case).
If you're lucky, only the clutch bowden is broken. It is easy to replace (few minutes for a mechanic), and the bowden itself is not expensive. If the whole clutch-set is broken, then it won't be cheap...
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 10:32 PM   #11206
Verso
Islander

I know, they changed it 4 times when it happened on my sister's car (but they were so embarrassed that I only paid once). I actually got a phobia from driving those few months, because it happened every now and then (once in the middle of an intersection). But at least I could've set it provisionally and it lasted for a few minutes (or it broke instantly), but now I couldn't have done even that.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 05:08 PM   #11207
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

A 77-year old woman from Apolda, Germany, got to the car dealer for a test drive. And what a test drive it was! When she drove out of the premises, she hit a parked car, then panicked, lost control of the car, turned around, entered the showroom through the glass wall, ravaged the entire area, got out the window on the other side and finally stopped against a parked car. € 100 000 in damages. I wonder if she approved the car for a purchase.

http://www.thueringer-allgemeine.de/...lda-1383488623
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 05:54 PM   #11208
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A 44-year old Italian man was on the run from the police at night on Italian A3 between Salerno and Reggio Calabria, and decided to climb over the railing of the road, and jumped on the side of the road - at least that's what he thought, until he discovered he was on a 185-meter tall viaduct. Miraculously, he survived...

http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubri...700063091.html
Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:19 PM   #11209
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

I remember they nominated for the Darwin Awards a similar case, but it was in a viaduct of only 20 meters tall, and the guy died.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:35 PM   #11210
bigmishu
On the road

Likes (Received): 10

image hosted on flickr

kocaine_10658 by bigmishu, on Flickr
bigmishu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:56 PM   #11211
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A 44-year old Italian man was on the run from the police at night on Italian A3 between Salerno and Reggio Calabria, and decided to climb over the railing of the road, and jumped on the side of the road - at least that's what he thought, until he discovered he was on a 185-meter tall viaduct. Miraculously, he survived...

http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubri...700063091.html
The accident happened near Bagnara. That bridge is probably the "viadotto Sfalassŕ" (maximum height 247m), that is the sixth tallest road bridge in the world.
The article in Italian said that the man had 175 doses of heroine in his car, so probably it wouldn't be a big loss for our society if he would't survive.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 07:08 PM   #11212
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmishu View Post
Is that Romanian drug mafia?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 08:27 PM   #11213
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Yeah, bottled water is ridiculous expensive, the other day I was at the station and I needed some water, so I bought some, a small bottle. For one pound twenty .
In most Swiss newsstands a 1.5 litres bottle of water can easily cost 5 CHF (4 EUR, 3.6 GBP, 5.5 USD). In some restaurants, with smaller bottles, for the same quantity this price can triple In supermarkets prices are normal, from 0.25 to 1 CHF for 1.5 litres. I usually buy a pair of bottles a week, and I reuse them for some days, if I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
is here at SSC somebody content with his government?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I'm content with the current government as far as road plans go. The Netherlands is finally catching up on the 25-year backlog we had in road investments.
I was happy with the two past transport ministers, lasted for around 20 years in total. They were more favorable to public transport, but without forgetting roads. In any case, approving projects is not their affair.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 09:35 PM   #11214
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
I was happy with the two past transport ministers, lasted for around 20 years in total. They were more favorable to public transport, but without forgetting roads. In any case, approving projects is not their affair.
So your country had 2 transport ministers in 20 years? Mine had about 20 in the last 20 years

PS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinterriket View Post
wtf?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 09:50 PM   #11215
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I wonder if that is real. The train appears to have only one set of wheels, which means it would tilt over, rendering it undriveable.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:05 PM   #11216
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Notice the man, coming to the crossing from the other side. You can clearly see a "cut" and sudden move forward to the crossing. So it's clearly fake (videomontage)...
Old September 24th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #11217
bigmishu
On the road

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori

Is that Romanian drug mafia?
))))))))))) maybe
bigmishu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 05:34 AM   #11218
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

About the bottled water thing: I remember when bottled water was first becoming trendy in the U.S. - this is in the 1970s - Consumer Reports, a respected non-profit product-testing organization, tested several brands (for cleanliness and so on). And also New York City public water. The New York City water won....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 05:59 AM   #11219
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

I never buy bottled water (except sparkling water which I'm used to since I was a child). If you need water there is a tap and it's much cheaper than anything you can buy in a supermarket.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #11220
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

What you write about water is strange for me. In Hungary a 1.5 liter bottle costs, according to the brand, 70-150 forint, the favorite brands 100-120 forint (35-40 eurocents).
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways