daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #12121
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It helps if you turn the heat down. 25.5 C, do you like to live in a sauna?
I think that this reading is a bit off, because the thermometer is (temporally, until I find a better place) placed too close to the radiator. But I think that it's around 23C in my apartment and I like it. And the heating is included in the rent - one of the few bright sides of renting a place in a commieblock from late 60'
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #12122
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
We do pay quite a lot compared to the area (I live in a townhouse with a private gas heater per suite, and payment is usage-based), but we would rather save on other expenses and live in comfort. Also, because we don't like the cold in general, we usually pay less in electricity costs in the summer because we set the AC to also around 24 C, compared to many Canadians, who like it at 20-21.

PS: I don't remember the exact costs, since I don't currently handle the payments, but even in high-usage months it is considerably less than 250 . Energy costs in Europe are very high compared to North America.
I pay 30 to 35 dollars a month for electricity - a bit more in the summer when I'm using the air-conditioning more - and nothing for water, steam, etc.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #12123
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
How much do you pay then?

I live in a older apartment of about 90m2 in uninsulated block and we pay from zero up to 250 per month (depending on cold in that month). Until now we were paying only by apartment surface after new year we will start to pay by actual consumption (right word?), measured by special dividing devices.
How the hell do you pay that much? My mother's apartment is 95m2 and the biggest central heating bill was a bit above 200 and that's from last winter when the average temperature was -10C and often even below -20C.
Rebasepoiss está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #12124
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Yeah, electricity prices are quite low in North America. I believe Canada had/still has the lowest electricity prices in the world, although they are up to twice higher now compared to a few years ago, with the introduction of the so-called "smart meters".

Heating is somewhat expensive, however (for people who have their own heaters), since it is mainly based on burning natural gas. Rental apartments usually have the same "old fashioned" central water heating systems with radiators (although unlike in some countries, there is a separate system per building, as opposed to a neighbourhood-wide distribution), and that is normally included with rent. Apartments for purchase (condominiums, as they are known around here) may or may not include heating with the maintenance fees, but even if they do, the maintenance fees often reflect rising costs over the years.
Old January 4th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #12125
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
How the hell do you pay that much? My mother's apartment is 95m2 and the biggest central heating bill was a bit above € 200 and that's from last winter when the average temperature was -10C and often even below -20C.
1 - it's (still) insulated block
2 - I pay for people who have 26C or more in their apartment with partly opened windows when there is -10C outside (new divider counters will help a lot), could say that this is "flat rate"
3 - in average winter the monthly heating bill is about 120-150 €.
4 - home heating energy in Slovenia is pretty expensive
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #12126
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

I live in a family house, heated area is 180m2 (8 persons living here). Our heating bill is 60,000 forint (200 last week, 190 today, 175 next week) monthly but all through the year even in August when we don't use heating at all. So it's measured once a year and we pay the bill in 12 equal parts.
If we had to pay on month's price in one month, in December or January the bill for heating could be 200-250,000 forint (~800). So we set the temperature to 20C (68F), no more. We have no money for 25C (77F).
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #12127
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Blimey! I thought I payed a lot for 2 bed flat @ 63 a month for gas & electric. Either its a lot colder where you lot live or you pay a lot more per unit than we do.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #12128
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
How much do you pay then?
Less than us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Our heating bill is 60,000 forint (200 last week, 190 today, 175 next week)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
Blimey! I thought I payed a lot for 2 bed flat @ 63 a month for gas & electric. Either its a lot colder where you lot live or you pay a lot more per unit than we do.
Just a question: is the word "lot" usually offensive or not? (I haven't figured it out yet)
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #12129
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Less than us.

Just a question: is the word "lot" usually offensive or not? (I haven't figured it out yet)
No, its not offensive. 'You lot' just means 'all of you'.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #12130
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

One problem English has is that we're missing a plural of "you." Personally, I sometimes find myself saying "you all" or "you people." Depends how far south I am at the time. I've even been known to say "y'all." So I guessed that's all "you lot" was, but since it's a British (or at least, not-American) expression, I waited for a Brit to say so.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 5th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #12131
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
No, its not offensive. 'You lot' just means 'all of you'.
Okay, thanks. The reason I'm asking is because for some reason 'you lot' sounds offensive to me (like 'you herd'), but I guess it's not.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #12132
ABRob

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Little accident in Vaals, the Netherlands. A German bus without passengers had to avoid a stray dog and hit a few parked cars.
Well done.
I'm realy wondering that accidents like this don't happen more often. The bus drivers in Aachen drive like crazy - and they still can't hold their timetables...
ABRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #12133
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

That gives nice lesson. Never avoid animals on a road if they are not too heavy.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #12134
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Belgium yesterday
E25 near Sprimont.

Yep that truck was driving on the highway above. It was a Dutch truck too.

http://1.standaardcdn.be/Assets/Imag...80.jpg.568.jpg
Old January 5th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #12135
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Meanwhile in Central Slovakia:

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #12136
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Yesterday I made my personal fuel consumption best record

On this trip, at 4 in the morning, with a VW Passat 2.0 TDI 140 HP.

From A to B: average f.c. 29,7 km/l
From A to C: average f.c. 28,5 km/l

I don'l lke that car too much, mainly because of its extremely long gear ratios (all of them, what a shame), but at least it runs efficiently, if well driven.

In the first part of the trip I never had to stop, all 50 or 70 straight roads. After that I got in the city and found many roundabouts.
I had to stop only once, at a stupid traffic light

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #12137
Bobek_Azbest
Blah blah blah

Likes (Received): 88

That must have been awfully boring.
Bobek_Azbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #12138
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Guys, a stupid question for dweller of the South out there: Is there any chance that it will snow in Madrid during next two weeks?
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #12139
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

not a chance with these temperatures I guess. Very rare to find snow in Madrid anyway unless maybe in the mountains around Madrid.
Old January 6th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #12140
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
Guys, a stupid question for dweller of the South out there: Is there any chance that it will snow in Madrid during next two weeks?
The Weather Channel (a cable TV channel in the US that does, um, weather) has forecasts for around the world for up to ten days:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/SPXX0050

I don't know what their source is. See if you can find a site for the government weather agency (like meteo.fr for France, although I haven't looked at that in years). I'm also seeing the display in Fahrenheit: to switch to metric, click on the little C way up at the top right corner of the page, next to "sign in."

They've got it warm for January (13 and 14 celsius during the day, lows around freezing) and dry.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
highways, motorways