daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #12201
bogdymol
bogdymod

You have to know that Google StreetView pictures from Arad are at least 3 years old. Many streets have been (re)paved since and many will be from now on. Road infrastructure is getting better everyday.

Let me give you some examples (click on the pictures to see the Google StreetView from the same location):

Quite a bad area here... many gypsyes live there. But take a look at the building on the left:

This street is not quite ready yet:

There are many other streets in Arad that look better now. Unfortunately I didn't take pics on all of them.

More, our mayor invested a lot in rebuilding the tram tracks. In the city-center they look like this:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #12202
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

In the meantime I changed my 6th headlamp on my Peugeot 207 in a year. While doing that, the 7th just blew. My car needs an exorcism.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #12203
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
In the meantime I changed my 6th headlamp on my Peugeot 207 in a year. While doing that, the 7th just blew. My car needs an exorcism.
H7 lamps are shit. It doesnt matter if you buy expensive ones or cheap ones. Thus we buy only the cheap ones. And it doesnt have to do with a car I guess.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #12204
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

I think I had to replace 2 bulbs in the past 60 000 kilometers. And I have them on most of the time.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #12205
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
H7 lamps are shit. It doesnt matter if you buy expensive ones or cheap ones. Thus we buy only the cheap ones. And it doesnt have to do with a car I guess.
You're maybe right, even if my car blew other lamps as well. Two times the reverse gear lights, 4 times the H7 headlights and now the little one (I don't know the english name, in Italian they're called "luci di posizione") which is H1 I believe. And I also blew one fuse for the windscreen washer pump.

Last edited by g.spinoza; January 12th, 2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old January 12th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #12206
Surel

We have the headlights on all the time and we had to replace like 6 H7 lamps this year. Not any other lamps though.

It could be in the car itself, though as I read this some test Peugeot 206 performs rather poorly but then again with different lamps.

In fact I did not find any wide enough test of H7 lamps that would be interested in the lifetime. I also did not find any lifetime guarantee by producers. Only marketing empty talk about x % increased lifetime. If they would really be after their products, they would offer you guaranteed lifetime since the time of purchase. It wouldnt be such a big problem for them to test it and select with 99 % the minimum performance. They dont do it, because the lamps are shit... or becasue the cars differ so much that such test would not be possible to perform.

Anyway, I was told that H7 bulbs are flawed by design. They just get too hot and burn itself in most of the cases. The higher the voltage (over 12v) the quicker it happens. And 20 000 km seems rather little for one bulb to perform. That is 250 hours with average speed of 80 km/h. Not much if you ask me.

Last edited by Surel; January 12th, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old January 12th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #12207
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

I never had a Peugeot.

Can you replace all of its lamps easily without help? Once we had in the family an Opel Astra, and it was damn hard to replace front lamps (though extremely easy to replace back lamps).
Old January 12th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #12208
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I never had a Peugeot.

Can you replace all of its lamps easily without help? Once we had in the family an Opel Astra, and it was damn hard to replace front lamps (though extremely easy to replace back lamps).
Front lamps are quite easy to replace. There is not much space for the hands, especially the left lamp, but nothing that cannot be done in 15 minutes. Besides, I'm used to it now

I don't know about rear lights, though. When the two reverse gear lamps broke (at the same time ), I brought my car to a garage mechanic. I guess the only lamps replaceable by a normal user is the third brake light, and those tiny license plate ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
And 20 000 km seems rather little for one bulb to perform. That is 250 hours with average speed of 80 km/h. Not much if you ask me.
Problem is that I replaced that lamp last september, or 10k km ago. And the previous one lasted only 2 months.
Old January 12th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #12209
Surel

Yes they are "easy" to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Problem is that I replaced that lamp last september, or 10k km ago. And the previous one lasted only 2 months.
Yeah, I used the number in the test I linked.

We replaced them for around 40 000 km I think 6 times. => Less then 7 000 km on average. Thus 90 hours of lifetime. But as I said, irrespective of their price and maker. The conclusion could be that Peugeot has problems with voltage in the lamps circuits. But I heard of similar experiences from other people with different cars...
Old January 12th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #12210
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

A little suggestion to help your bubls live longer: when you start the engine all lights should be switched off, since the ignition gives the electrical system a very hard time.

Correct procedure to start the car:
1) all lights and electrical services switched off
2) clutch down
3) switch on the electrical system (first or second step when turning the key, depends on model)
4) give it a moment to rest, until all warning lights go off
5) start the engine
6) switch on the lights and whatever you need

And again, first switch off the lights and then the engine.

Unluckily many people always leave the lights switch on, or rely on those useless* "auto-lights" systems which usually switch on the lights before the engine. As long as I know, only Mercedes-Benz has designed its system in order to automatically switch on the main beams only after the engine is running.

*useless because, in my opinion, main beams should be on at all times. Even in full sunlight, a car with two lights on is way more recognizable.
DRLs are a good solution, but many automakers (e.g. VAG) dumbly make the system to switch off the rear lights when DRLs are on... I don't like that, there are some border-line situations where the vehicle is less recognizable with tail lights off, even in full sunlight (typically: summer full sun and a car hidden in the shadow of an overpass or a tree).

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #12211
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I am very scrupolous about this, I always turn light on AFTER the engine has started, and switch them off BEFORE. It doesn't seem to help, anyway.
Old January 12th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #12212
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Then follow another important rule: never buy any French machinery

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #12213
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
As I said, this doesnt restrict to Peugeot. I heard similar stories from people with Opels, VW, etc. The starting with lights on surelly can have effect, but that effect would show on all car lamps. I will stick with the H7 poor design.
Old January 12th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #12214
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
That's what my friends always keep saying!

Joking aside, I bought this car when I wrecked the previous one in an accident. It was 28th December 2008, and the local Peugeot dealer (which has been my dad's friend for years) made us a big discount if we bought before the end of the year. I mean, really big discount, so on 31st December I bought this car, while I was still recovering from the accident

Some months ago, when I brought the car to them because the windscreen washer didn't work anymore, they replaced the fuse and said: "it was nothing, but if you see other electric problems tell us", as if they were expecting some...
Old January 12th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #12215
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
You have to know that Google StreetView pictures from Arad are at least 3 years old. Many streets have been (re)paved since and many will be from now on. Road infrastructure is getting better everyday.
Yea I know but I just didn't know about all these upaved roads, there are actually many of them, like in this area for example - http://g.co/maps/8kv4p

Surelz many has changed, like in many other cities, it is very nice to see that they are doing all these renovations of tram tracks, tram networks in Slovakia are in bad conditions too but towns don't have enough money to renovate them, not even to build new ones. Btw Arad has quite big centre for such a small town, I like Bulevardul Revoluţiei, it makes some city atmos in Arad.

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #12216
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

somebody needs some pork?

Old January 12th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #12217
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Obviously nobody wants them

Nitko nije pokušao uzeti nijednu polovicu iako su mogli - kaže nam čitatelj.

"Nobody tried to take one, even if they could.."

lol that would be really tasty dinner

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #12218
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

and it happened on one of the most crowded and largest intersections in Zagreb i am actually quite affraid what happened with all that meat
Old January 12th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #12219
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Yea I know but I just didn't know about all these upaved roads, there are actually many of them, like in this area for example - http://g.co/maps/8kv4p

Surelz many has changed, like in many other cities, it is very nice to see that they are doing all these renovations of tram tracks, tram networks in Slovakia are in bad conditions too but towns don't have enough money to renovate them, not even to build new ones. Btw Arad has quite big centre for such a small town, I like Bulevardul Revoluţiei, it makes some city atmos in Arad.
The street you gave in that example was not paved... yet. But our mayor did a lot in the last few years. This area, this one, this one, this one, this one (so far I mean all the streets in that perimeter). More, some major traffic streets have been completely repaved, like this one, this one, (last 2 came together with brand new tram tracks), this one, this one, this one and many more secondary streets. Plus, this year works will start on a lot of new streets.

Of course, works could have been done better and faster, but I can't complain considering that the previous mayor did just 1 street in his entire term.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #12220
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
and it happened on one of the most crowded and largest intersections in Zagreb i am actually quite affraid what happened with all that meat
Are there Chinese restaurants nearby?
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways