daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 10th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #12801
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9153

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
... if you ignore the country-promotion spam (which used to be a lot worse on Highways & Autobahns than today).
Do you have in mind shiny crash-barriers and black black asphalt?
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #12802
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Radi didn't promote Bulgaria at all. He praised Struma, but bashed other Bulgarian motorways.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #12803
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

When this talking about speaking Italian started I immediately thought of this

keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #12804
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

I was afraid you could mention this:

I was very disappointed by this.

But there is also this one, in German dubbed Simpsons:

The cook says a very obscene profanity in Italian
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #12805
bogdymol
bogdymod

Cool Romanian commercial (banned from TV):

Quote:
You stupid... I told you he's a priest, but nooo... you said: batman, batman
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #12806
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

we usualy say for nuns that are batmen

@Spinoza: what is that accent that waiter with glasses has? sounds kinda northern, right?
Old March 11th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #12807
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I was afraid you could mention this:

I was very disappointed by this.
I already know it and when that Dutch forumer posted a Youtube link about Italian language I also expected this.
Well, jokes about countries stereothypes may be acceptable in some informal contests if they aren't racist but IMHO this is just offensive and not funny at all. A country that promote itself to be open and tolerant shouldn't allow such xenofobic spots on public television.
Maybe they heard some nasty stuff about our former premier and saw crowds of Italians wandering drunk and high between coffe-shops and brothels in A'dam and they think that all our folk is like them.
I remember a spot mocking Italians on German TV too, during 2006 football world championship if I remember well (the Italian tried to cheat some Germans selling stuff at higher prices).

Quote:
But there is also this one, in German dubbed Simpsons:

The cook says a very obscene profanity in Italian
Cannot believe that it was really shown on German TV, it's likely to be a internet-made parody. This profanity (that compares God with an animal) is almost a taboo here. People had been fired from TV programmes to have said such things while they were angry. OK, Germans don't understand it but there are many Italian expats in Germany or Germans who spent some time in Italy and understand at least a bit of our language.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #12808
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Cannot believe that it was really shown on German TV, it's likely to be a internet-made parody.
I can assure you, it's not a parody. It was actually broadcast.
Old March 11th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #12809
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:

Cannot believe that it was really shown on German TV, it's likely to be a internet-made parody. This profanity (that compares God with an animal) is almost a taboo here. People had been fired from TV programmes to have said such things while they were angry. OK, Germans don't understand it but there are many Italian expats in Germany or Germans who spent some time in Italy and understand at least a bit of our language.
really? i though it was just everyday swearing phrase. actually, doesn't sound that hard to me.
frankly, i am a little bit dissapointed when i've discovered world of italian swears and curses. i've been expecting juicy and awful things, but i've found actually quite moderate things there
ok, religious people are sensitive on mentioning the gods in swears, that's normal. but p.d. thing doesn't sound that harsh. for instance, one of very often (and very rude definitely) swears here in HR involves Him and the mother of an object/person to whom it is said so pig actually sounds very mild comparing to that
Old March 11th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #12810
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21245

Stereotypical jokes and ads are harmless. At most, they are trolling-on-steroids. People shouldn't be so sensitive about political correctness.

Believe me, here in the university some students were angry because a student society, needing a catchy theme for its weekly Thursday party, chose "Korean party" but used Japanese random ideograms on the flyer
Old March 11th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #12811
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist
Stereotypical jokes and ads are harmless. At most, they are trolling-on-steroids. People shouldn't be so sensitive about political correctness.

Believe me, here in the university some students were angry because a student society, needing a catchy theme for its weekly Thursday party, chose "Korean party" but used Japanese random ideograms on the flyer
One thing is use stereothypes like Italians - pizza and pasta, French - baguette, German beer and wurstel, ecc...
Another thing is say that all people from a certain country are rude, ignorant or dishonest expecially if done on a public broadcast channel and not on an amatorial jokes website or FB page. In Italy a FB page called "Io romania talio gola bastardo" ("I'm Rumanian, I'll cut your throath, bastard") was obscured by police because it was regarded as racist.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old March 11th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #12812
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Stereotypes can't be avoided, unfortunately. When I'm in Italy, most people tend to think I'm a (boring) german at first. When I say I'm dutch, they often get enthousiastic and start asking directly about drugs and prostitutes... It gets a bit irritating hearing that everywhere.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #12813
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I think the best way to reduce the importance of stereotypes (as well as any other kind of offence) is to avoid paying them attention, or -if one is involved directly- have a mild self ironical reaction.

This will simply kill any fun stupid people may get from that crap.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #12814
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
frankly, i am a little bit dissapointed when i've discovered world of italian swears and curses. i've been expecting juicy and awful things, but i've found actually quite moderate things there
ok, religious people are sensitive on mentioning the gods in swears, that's normal. but p.d. thing doesn't sound that harsh. for instance, one of very often (and very rude definitely) swears here in HR involves Him and the mother of an object/person to whom it is said so pig actually sounds very mild comparing to that
Don't get me wrong, I'm an atheist so it has no effect on me. But I was raised as catholic (like 99.999% of people my age) so it still catches my attention, and it surely is something that in Italian TV cannot be broadcast.

Italian swearing are among the most imaginative in the world, and it is often a regional thing. In Rome very popular is "li mortacci tua/vostra" (something like "may your dearest departed be damned), which in Naples it becomes "i muort' e chi t'è mmuort'" (may the dearest departed of your dearest departed be damned). In my hometown you would say "la fregna de mammeta" (your mother's c*nt). Or if you are really pissed off you can invoke "la madonna puttana impestata" (wh*re Madonna plague-stricken).
Old March 11th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #12815
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Please, stop, I can't keep myself from laughing

Next on SSC: all the best Italian swearing, in one post

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #12816
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

purely slovenian swearing almost doesnt exist.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #12817
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
purely slovenian swearing almost doesnt exist.

Old March 12th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #12818
italystf

The effects of speed bumps:
Old March 12th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #12819
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
In fact for the average Italian, the Netherlands are just drugs, prostitutes, windmills, tulips and wooden clogs...
How about Romanians? Thiefs, criminals, burglars, gypsyes...

Quote:
A former Italian co-worker of mine, who is working in the USA, told me once that an American girl asked him if "France is part of Italy". My friend answered: "It's not even wrong... it's more than wrong".
:facepalm:

-------------------------------

What would happen if you mount your license plate this way? Can you be fined?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Hungarian plate, mounted upside down - spotted by someone in traffic, posted here.

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #12820
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
But who cares about windmills, tulips and wooden clogs? So the first two are more effective.
This is just to say that to Italians (apart from more recent things like drug and hookers), Netherlands is a rather dull country...

Tags
highways, motorways