daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #12921
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle
I've read about a multi-hundred thousand euro project in Flevoland provinces that provides flowered sides of agricultural land.
Very nice, expecially considering that your government privatized the health system like in the USA, to cut off public costs. It seems that the mismanagement and waste of public money isn't a "privilege" of the Mediterranean Europe.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #12922
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Meanwhile in Laos:

... still 45 km to do with 15 km/h average speed.
Now I'm back already. And no, this is by far not the worst road I've driven there.
Taken around here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=18...p=0&sz=17&z=17

Wondering, anyone knows good online maps of SE Asia even in nonlatin characters?
Google maps is not much use for Laos.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #12923
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Very nice, expecially considering that your government privatized the health system like in the USA, to cut off public costs. It seems that the mismanagement and waste of public money isn't a "privilege" of the Mediterranean Europe.
some OT on this

Some polititians like to argue when asked about wastefull public spending, that the answer should be minimalizing the government and public spending in general, because you cannot take big bites from a small cake.

The funny thing is that they allways start to cut on the social side of spending, which could be hardly considered as wastefull, because there is not much room for inefficiences and direct stealing of public money (although there may be some motivational disruptions caused by this spending). They almost never mention that the investment spending, contracting to private sector, etc... should be reduced. Well the investment spending and contracting of course gives the most opportunity to privately leech on public money and inefficient investments.

By this I dont mean that I am against gov. investments etc. On the contrary, I think in many areas it is the only sensible thing to do. I just want to show that the argument used because of ideological reasons is completaly flawed. In general politics built on ideology is flawed, but thats for longer discussion.

Just a note on that. It is really interesting to watch how since the fall of communism in the eastern europe the western governmental policies turned to the right ideological spectrum and the welfare state is not supported anymore by the western european governments on the same scale as earlier. Could this be due to the fact that the fear of the rioting poor demanding communism is gone???

Last edited by Surel; March 27th, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #12924
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

The main problem is the welfare states become too expensive. The cost of healthcare, pensions, old-age benefits, etc has skyrocketed in the past 10 - 20 years.

Countries like Norway can mitigate that by their large revenues from natural resources, or high taxation, but the high taxation, high wages and high public spending model results in disadvantaged competition and doesn't work in all countries, especially when you get further south in Europe (and by that I mean south of Denmark).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #12925
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The main problem is the welfare states become too expensive. The cost of healthcare, pensions, old-age benefits, etc has skyrocketed in the past 10 - 20 years.
Sure, there are some demographic changes but the productivity skyrockteted as well. The point is that the transfers in the society on average declined since 1990 in the western countries with the fall of communism.

and btw. Not regulated healthcare system will allways result in huge prices and costs. Health is one of the few goods where the demand is allways absolutly non elastic and supply side is quite limited, production marginal costs are huge. Make it private without regulation and prices will skyrocket.
Old March 27th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #12926
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

The per capita healthcare expenses in the Netherlands doubled between 1998 and 2010 from € 2590 to € 5243. Unfortunately the Dutch statistical agency CBS doesn't have statistics before 1998.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #12927
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The per capita healthcare expenses in the Netherlands doubled between 1998 and 2010 from € 2590 to € 5243. Unfortunately the Dutch statistical agency CBS doesn't have statistics before 1998.
Well the per capita GDP also almost doubled. Thust that should not pose the big problem right? Well it is a problem for most of the people because of own risks charges etc... This only illustrates how the transfers declined.

But luckily I dont have much experience with the dutch health care system though having dutch insurance . My only personal experience was in the time when I had czech insurance and had been to a dutch huisartz. The czech insurence covered the cash paid costs and I got the refund from the czech insurance company. When I had to visit a czech doctor recently with dutch insurance I am afraid that there wont be a refund to my cash payment.

Oh yeah another experience was when my dutch gf had sprained her ankle I took her to the hospital emergency as I would do in the cz, it was night already. Well they refused to even look and sent us to a huisartz. And the huisartz didnt even make a x ray... I must say I had nerves going on then... . I guess it has to do with mentality, because my gf didnt even want to go see a doctor and said that we (czechs) are crazy with the doctors...

Last edited by Surel; March 27th, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old March 27th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #12928
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Meanwhile in Laos:
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #12929
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

a 15-years old boy met a girl chatting on Skype and they agreed the meeting at her place (Dubrovnik). but he lived in Zagreb suburbia. so he took (stole is too hard word ) his neighbours car and drove to Dubrovnik. actually, he has reached Šibenik where he didn't have fuel anymore. he filled in, but had no money to pay. so he escaped. that was mistake because the police was alarmed and they've caught him near southern terminus of A1 motorway. he almost did it

who understands croatian: http://www.24sata.hr/crna-kronika-ne...brovnik-259502
Old March 27th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #12930
Verso
Islander

So he didn't make it.
Old March 27th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #12931
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

Love is a serious matter. Better, libido is
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #12932
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

so I have a very important concerm, can someone recommend me good Greek music, I am searching something like

Antique - Mera Me Ti Mera

Antique - Opa Opa

And other not too hars and not too Bulgarian and folk sounding stuff. I am looking for good Greek music, also with the folk elements but more modern sounding, but not too mainstream. Recommend me some good Greek music and not only one or two tracks, I am interested a lot by it and would like to get many tracks.
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #12933
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
a 15-years old boy met a girl chatting on Skype and they agreed the meeting at her place (Dubrovnik). but he lived in Zagreb suburbia. so he took (stole is too hard word ) his neighbours car and drove to Dubrovnik. actually, he has reached Šibenik where he didn't have fuel anymore. he filled in, but had no money to pay. so he escaped. that was mistake because the police was alarmed and they've caught him near southern terminus of A1 motorway. he almost did it

who understands croatian: http://www.24sata.hr/crna-kronika-ne...brovnik-259502
How did he expect to pass Neum borders without be discovered?
Old March 28th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #12934
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish2 View Post
so I have a very important concerm, can someone recommend me good Greek music, I am searching something like

Antique - Mera Me Ti Mera

Antique - Opa Opa
Lol, I accidentally listened to that yesterday after more than a decade. Here is the Serbian version. But I wouldn't call it good music.
Old March 28th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #12935
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

Opa Opa is not that good indeet, but the other song y antique I mentioned is aktually very good I think.
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #12936
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
How did he expect to pass Neum borders without be discovered?
Because this border is more like a joke than a serious matter.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #12937
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber
Because this border is more like a joke than a serious matter.
Really? You can reach the entire Bosnia from here.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old March 28th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #12938
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Hi everyone!

I'm starting a short (on time) but far (on distance) road trip to Parque Nacional Monte Perdido
Old March 28th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #12939
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
i have once passed it without stopping. i didn't know that i had to stopthere (it was my first time at that border crossing) so i just passed
other time i was waiting in 5 km long queue
Old March 28th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #12940
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18300

Quote:
I read that the roads towards regions of Bosnia (other than the one towards Croatia), are mountainous and dangerous, so very few take them.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways