daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2012, 08:18 PM   #13001
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

I'm back from Spain.

Yesterday I broke my record of most driving distance in one day: 1.618km (Valencia - Arras via Barcelona (Ronda del littoral), Millau, Orleans and a86 in Paris

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2012, 08:20 PM   #13002
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I'm back from Spain.
And I'm going to Berlin (with school) in 1,5 hours
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 08:32 PM   #13003
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I'm back from Spain.

Yesterday I broke my record of most driving distance in one day: 1.618km (Valencia - Arras via Barcelona (Ronda del littoral), Millau, Orleans and a86 in Paris
that's a lot. multiple drivers? How was A86? on Friday I did Salzburg-Paris ~980km, it's quite ok for one driver. when I arrived in Paris, there was a jam, and I stayed 1 hour on the 50m distance. stupid Mairie de Paris and its tramway crazy ideas.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 08:43 PM   #13004
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg

that's a lot. multiple drivers? How was A86? on Friday I did Salzburg-Paris ~980km, it's quite ok for one driver. when I arrived in Paris, there was a jam, and I stayed 1 hour on the 50m distance. stupid Mairie de Paris and its tramway crazy ideas.
I drove all by myself. We left Valencia 5.30 NAND arrived in Arras 22.35

No jams for me, I took a detour via Orsay and the A86 tunnels. God bless tomtom traffic hq
Old April 1st, 2012, 08:44 PM   #13005
Suburbanist
on the road

A86 was rather empty...
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:16 PM   #13006
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist
I'm back from Spain.

Congratulation. I would have split that trip in two days and it would still be long (800km a per day isn't nothing).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:27 PM   #13007
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Congratulation. I would have split that trip in two days and it would still be long (800km a per day isn't nothing).
Depends a lot on what car are you driving. In some cars it would be hell in others it is "only" very annoying.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:29 PM   #13008
bogdymol
bogdymod

My all-time record is 800 km as sole-driver and 1000 km with a co-driver. I wouldn't go more than that because it's too tyring. Both were made in a Renault Clio. Maybe with a better car it could be 10% more...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:35 PM   #13009
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

I prefer 1.000 kilometers maximum on one day, 1.200 - 1.300 for a drive home (I ain't gonna stop 300 km from home).

Besides the car, it also depends on traffic. If you have smooth and light traffic it's much easier to drive long distances than on heavy trafficked motorways. For long distances France or Spain are much more relaxing to drive than say the Netherlands, Belgium or Germany.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:19 AM   #13010
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

My all time record is Budapest - Berlin - Budapest via Linz - Nürnberg, approx. 2×1,150 km, two days, without sleeping. I suggest to no one to do it. I was 24 years old then (1998), but it was only luck and God's providence that I did not cause any accidents.

Actually I had nothing to do in Berlin (and as a matter of fact, I did not anything there). I was very angry and crazy about several things happening about my life and simply sat into my car and started. Fourteen hours later my mind got clearer, but I was in Berlin, having almost no money, not even a change underwear, in the middle of the night.
So I turned back. I used my credit card for fuel and some food and a great amount of Coca-Cola. Strange, I was never near to falling asleep, my eyes were open all through the journey, but in the last 150 kilometers I was so tired, I saw almost nothing.
And al of that by a Suzuki Swift 1.0 GA.

With clear mind and a proper destination my longest trip was Düsseldorf - Budapest, in 2009.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:20 AM   #13011
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I prefer 1.000 kilometers maximum on one day, 1.200 - 1.300 for a drive home (I ain't gonna stop 300 km from home).

Besides the car, it also depends on traffic. If you have smooth and light traffic it's much easier to drive long distances than on heavy trafficked motorways. For long distances France or Spain are much more relaxing to drive than say the Netherlands, Belgium or Germany.
It depends, of course, on the road type, too.

Here in the Ultima Thule, most of the road network is non-motorways, and driving 1000+ km a day may be an exhausting exercise, at least in the winter time.

I think, my quickest return from Lapland to home in the Helsinki region was to drive 1100 km in 12.5 hours, including two coffee breaks and a refueling break. This is possible even on the 1+1 roads, because of low traffic density in most of the country, and most main roads bypassing towns and villages.

My favourite winter holiday resort is Ylläs about 1000 km from Helsinki. In the winter conditions (including the speed limit of 80 km/h on most roads), my travel time estimate is 14 hours including the breaks. Usually, the outward trip begins at the Friday afternoon, gets interrupted for a sleepover somewhere in the halfway, and reaches the destination in the Saturday late afternoon. The return trip usually takes place without the sleepover, if the weather is reasonable. In adverse road conditions, it is safer to have an overnight break in a hotel.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:12 AM   #13012
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
My all time record is Budapest - Berlin - Budapest via Linz - Nürnberg, approx. 2×1,150 km, two days, without sleeping. I suggest to no one to do it. I was 24 years old then (1998), but it was only luck and God's providence that I did not cause any accidents.

Actually I had nothing to do in Berlin (and as a matter of fact, I did not anything there). I was very angry and crazy about several things happening about my life and simply sat into my car and started. Fourteen hours later my mind got clearer, but I was in Berlin, having almost no money, not even a change underwear, in the middle of the night.
So I turned back. I used my credit card for fuel and some food and a great amount of Coca-Cola. Strange, I was never near to falling asleep, my eyes were open all through the journey, but in the last 150 kilometers I was so tired, I saw almost nothing.
And al of that by a Suzuki Swift 1.0 GA.

With clear mind and a proper destination my longest trip was Düsseldorf - Budapest, in 2009.
Nice waste of fuel. But what did you expected to do in Berlin?
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:29 AM   #13013
Suburbanist
on the road

Here is my route for those who might be interested

It was tiring, more on the mind than to the body... It didn't help my travel companions had spent the night before awake, in the Internet, and slept all their way to Girona and Bizares, respectively Plus other naps...
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:52 AM   #13014
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

My longest one day trips: Timisoara-Erlangen (in Summer 2011, me and my father driving, we did around 13 hours, 1 hour traffic jam on M0, and heavy rain before German border, we couldn't drive more than 80kmh) and Timisoara-Ingolstadt (me and my father, in December 2011, winter conditions, with a little snowing, again around 13 hours), distance is almost the same 1050km.

Driving only me, Vienna-Timisoara, on rainy dark conditions, it was my first longish motorway drive, and it was terrible, my eyes were huge when I got home.
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:06 AM   #13015
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Nice waste of fuel. But what did you expected to do in Berlin?
Nothing. Indeed, absolutely nothing.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:37 PM   #13016
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9161

My record is Sofia-Karlsruhe in two days every direction (one stop at motels for few hours nap in a small Hungarian town near the Austrian border), so it generally was about so:
Day 1: Sofia - Mosonmagyarovar - 913 km
Day 2: Mosonmagyarovar - Karlsruhe - 783 km
Day 9: Karlsruhe - Mosonmagyarovar - 783 km
Day 10:Mosonmagyarovar - Sofia - 913 km

In Bulgaria I have done in one day Sofia-Ahtopol-Sofia (some 980 km) in high season traffic and when parts of the nowadays A1 Trakya were not opened yet, which was quite more tiring.
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:45 PM   #13017
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

The other day I drove to Castillazuelo and back, and I broke my record. 120 kilometers, but that is nothing compared to yours. I'm a beginner driver, so no long distances yet. But one day... By the way, I believe there is a thread for this, right?

Oh, and I drove onto a motorway for the first time since I got my driver licence. I got to 120 km/h on A-22 with a van!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:54 PM   #13018
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I just wish travelling by car was quicker. I mean, when you look at the map everything seems so close, but when on the road, 100 km are 100 km and nothing less..
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:05 PM   #13019
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
I just wish travelling by car was quicker. I mean, when you look at the map everything seems so close, but when on the road, 100 km are 100 km and nothing less..
You need to buy maps with larger scales

My record of uninterrupted driving is 1500 km, Valencia-Brescia via Grenoble and Frejus tunnel.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:24 PM   #13020
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

Guess the euro emission standard of this truck:

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways