daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #13221
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
BTW, what's the current status of 1c and 2c in Finland? Are accepted?
All cash payments are rounded to nearest 5c. The 1c and 2c coins are seldom seen, and they generally are not accepted. In principle, they should be accepted unless the shop shows a sign they are not, but the principle and reality do not match.

Even if the 1c and 2c coins are not in general use, the Bank of Finland has put about 96 million of those in circulation in order to prevent their numismatic value from exceeding the nominal value.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #13222
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG

All cash payments are rounded to nearest 5c. The 1c and 2c coins are seldom seen, and they generally are not accepted. In principle, they should be accepted unless the shop shows a sign they are not, but the principle and reality do not match.

Even if the 1c and 2c coins are not in general use, the Bank of Finland has put about 96 million of those in circulation in order to prevent their numismatic value from exceeding the nominal value.
Are they exported to other countries?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #13223
MattiG

Quote:
Are they exported to other countries?
In my understanding, no. Instead, they are sold to the banks, and people can buy them as chunks of 50 or 100 coins. During the last few years, the numbers of minted coins has been low: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/en/seteli...ntimaarat.aspx

Just checked my wallet: Six 1c coins and six 2c ones. One 1c coin from Italy and all remaining ones from Germany.
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #13224
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG

In my understanding, no. Instead, they are sold to the banks, and people can buy them as chunks of 50 or 100 coins. During the last few years, the numbers of minted coins has been low: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/en/seteli...ntimaarat.aspx

Just checked my wallet: Six 1c coins and six 2c ones. One 1c coin from Italy and all remaining ones from Germany.
If a price is EUR1,53 you can pay the exact amount if you have small coins or you must pay EUR1,55 anyway because the legal price is rounded to the nearest 5 cent?
Off course if the amount is 1,51 or 1,52 I guess nobody say 'I have small coins'
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #13225
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

Maybe they should have reset the Euro back when it was introduced with a factor of 0.2 (meaning 1 Euro on this alternative scenario woudl equal 5 actual current euro)
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #13226
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Electronic payments are not rounded in the Netherlands. If the price is € 14,99 you'll pay € 15 cash and € 14,99 with a bank card.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #13227
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Electronic payments are not rounded in the Netherlands. If the price is € 14,99 you'll pay € 15 cash and € 14,99 with a bank card.
Same thing is in Romania at almost all the stores, but there are some supermakets where the cashiers are told to give the change to the last penny, so you end up having some 1 ban (0.01 lei = 0.0022 €) in your pocket...

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #13228
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle
Electronic payments are not rounded in the Netherlands. If the price is EUR 14,99 you'll pay EUR 15 cash and EUR 14,99 with a bank card.
So you pay with card prices ending in 3, 4, 8 and 9 but with cash prices ending in 1, 2, 6 and 7?
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #13229
ChrisZwolle
Road user

No it's rounded to 5 cents cash. If the price is € 1,52 you'll pay € 1,50 cash and € 1,52 with a card.
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #13230
MattiG

Quote:
If a price is EUR1,53 you can pay the exact amount if you have small coins or you must pay EUR1,55 anyway because the legal price is rounded to the nearest 5 cent?
If paying cash, yes.
Old April 12th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #13231
italystf

Quote:
No it's rounded to 5 cents cash. If the price is € 1,52 you'll pay € 1,50 cash and € 1,52 with a card.
I mean that you could use cash or card to save 1 or 2 cents
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #13232
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I liked that the bills were plasticized, kinda like the Romanian ones, but the color and design is original.
Wait for next series, coming (probably) next year:

http://www.snb.ch/en/iabout/cash/new...h_new_result/3

It will be somehow different than shown above because of security issues, but it is still very interesting. Makes Euros really boring - new euro series is (again, probably) coming next year.

Also 1000 swiss franc is probably the highest regular banknote value in the world.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #13233
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Wtf 1200 € banknote.

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #13234
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Wtf 1200 € banknote.
wrong way conversion It's € 830
Old April 12th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #13235
bogdymol
bogdymod

Am I the only one that thinks that the Swiss banknotes are looking kind of high-tech? Never seen a real one in my life though...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #13236
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

No, I also absolutely adore their design. The 'pixelated' Le Corbusier on 10Fr note is enough to fall in love with them.

And please do notice how the coins performs well in a country with 4 official languages without actually saying a word
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #13237
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

they are cool, but French francs were also cool, especially 50 FRF banknote with its weird dimensions.

the coolest coins are GBP:
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #13238
cougar1989

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
At Switzerland they round electronic payments.

At Czech Republic they do not round electronic payments only paying per cash.
The smallest coin is 1CZK (~ 0,04€)

0,10; 0,20 and 0,50CZK are not more valid at Czech Republic.

cougar1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #13239
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

I like the design of 50 Kč coin (2€), 50 Kč banknotes are no longer used -

We also had bilingual banknotes back in the first republic -

4 language like in Schweiz but there is actually missing the 5th one - Czech - "Padesát Korun Československých "

image hosted on flickr

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..

Last edited by seem; April 13th, 2012 at 12:31 AM.
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #13240
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4001

Ukrainian because of Sub-Carpathian region, which was later taken by Soviet Union.

Hungarian pengő from 1926 - six languages (Hungarian, German, Slovakian, Serbian, Ukrainian, Romanian):

Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways