daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:39 PM   #13501
Puležan

Likes (Received): 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Pulj! A question for Croats: is it true that locals call Pula "Pulj" (like in Slovenian)? This is what Wikipedia says:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pula
No
Pula is called Pula in the whole country.
Citizens are called "Puležani" which is derived from italian "Polesani" or venetian "Połexani", although the official croatian word would be "Puljani". Nevertheless, the city isn't called Pulj
Puležan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:28 PM   #13502
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puležan View Post
No
Citizens are called "Puležani" which is derived from italian "Polesani" or venetian "Połexani", although the official croatian word would be "Puljani". Nevertheless, the city isn't called Pulj
As far as I know, Croats spoke a language intelligible with Slovenian in the past, which differed to Serb-Croatian spoken in Croatia recently. So, maybe some Croats still use different word to name Pula.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:11 PM   #13503
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71

As far as I know, Croats spoke a language intelligible with Slovenian in the past, which differed to Serb-Croatian spoken in Croatia recently. So, maybe some Croats still use different word to name Pula.
Check out his location he is really the one who knows the right answer.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:20 PM   #13504
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Especially if he's very young, he may not know how elderly call his own town. I can speak the dialect of my hometown, but sometimes I can't understand the elderly because they say some words I've never heard, because they're obsolete even for a dialect.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:10 PM   #13505
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
Check out his location he is really the one who knows the right answer.
I did before I posted. I share g.spinoza's opinion.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:21 PM   #13506
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puležan View Post
No
Thanks for your answer, but where does Wikipedia get its info from then? The Croatian Wikipedia says the same (although without source):
Quote:
Pula (mjesna čakavica[nedostaje izvor] Pulj, latinski Pietas Iulia, talijanski Pola, istrovenetski Poła, istriotski Puola, slovenski Pulj, njemački Polei) je grad u Hrvatskoj.
http://hr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pula
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:01 PM   #13507
tty

Likes (Received): 10

Pulj and Pul are archaic Čakavian forms, although even Pula is present in Čakavian. Štokavian (which is the standard language) has always used only Pula.
tty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:46 PM   #13508
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

A Belgian group named "Responsible young drivers" made this video. They made some people text while driving, to show them the risks:
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:58 PM   #13509
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

It's even better in Italian since the word "Bara", written on that car, means "coffin" I'd definitely call a coffin a car driven by someone texting...

Unluckily most of the damage will be made to others outside the car.

Another point I like to express is that having a phone conversation while driving is dangerous even when using proper hands-free devices and loudspeakers, since the distraction lies in thinking about what you're listening and saying.
I personally have serious problems in driving & talking (even with someone in the car).

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:41 PM   #13510
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Another point I like to express is that having a phone conversation while driving is dangerous even when using proper hands-free devices and loudspeakers, since the distraction lies in thinking about what you're listening and saying.
I personally have serious problems in driving & talking (even with someone in the car).
This seems a bit exagerating, maybe on a never driven before road with a lot of traffic, but in normal conditions you should be able to drive and talk... I certainly am
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:37 PM   #13511
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

I think that texting while driving is many times more dangerous than talking. You don't have only a hand impaired but also your eyes.

This is a spot against driving under influence:

Off course I can speak at the mobile phone, dear. I'm in a car like last time but I'm not driving myself.

"Dear, should I cook a pasta?"
"Don't worry."
A phone call don't make always your life longer.

If you speak in that way, dear, this is the last time I'll call you.

Saturday evening: trees are terrorized.
"Who of us will be hit by a car?"

"Swimming, calling, smoking, using the I Pod,...is too much for who has only two hands."
"Also for who has eight."

C'mon guys, has someone the pills for landing?

My personal record is 18 accidents with a liter.

A mistery I cannot solve: why many normal people become crazy behind the wheel?

Also who drives also walks. We're all pedestrians. When you drive imagie yourself walking. It will be easier to respect pedestrians.

Better dancing (ballo) than becaming high (sballo).

Now I must close the call. I wouldn't disturb paramedics.

Fast your seatbelt. Before, not after!
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:56 PM   #13512
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

The fact that most drivers actually do things apart from driving while driving, without getting involved in accidents, is not a point. We must look at statistics to decide what is or isn't dangerous while driving.

The main problem with talking at phone while driving is that the mostly impaired part of your body are not hands or eyes, but it's your brain.
Driving is not a single activity, it requires the complex coordination of watching different things (road, traffic, mirrors, instruments), listening, understanding what's going on, thinking quickly about what to do next and moving indipendently eyes, hands, arms, feet. You have to constantly acquire and recalculate your position on the road and the absolute and relative speed of your and others' vehicles, which is something non-natural for the human brain.
And, if you want to really be risk-aware, you must virtually "drive" for the vehicles around you, as well.

There's absolutely no more room for other activities since your brain is already required to perform a multitasking activity. And being in a conversation is not a simple task, it requires coordination itself and puts the focus on things which are not happening where the driver is, generating a conflict.

The average driver, here in Italy, totally lacks precision: most of the people doesn't know how to keep a constant speed, how to avoid driving on the lane markings (they don't know even the term "lane discipline"), how to mantain an adequate distance, when to use proper lights and signals.
In this mess the effects of distracted driving are not so evident immediately, but statistically they are.

Here's an important research that compared the driving quality of people on hands-free phones with DUIs:
http://www.unews.utah.edu/old/p/062206-1.html
This is the paper:
http://www.distraction.gov/research/...unk-driver.pdf

This is from the same researchers, about how drivers talking on phone reduce road capacity by being slow-reacting:
http://unews.utah.edu/old/p/121907-2.html

And this is about the different effects on phone talks vs. talking with a passenger:
http://www.distraction.gov/download/...versations.pdf
I can recognize my experience in these results: conversation with passengers is often traffic-oriented, and passengers understand immediately when the driver can't pay them attention.

I am a very precise driver, so I actually feel a negative difference in my driving quality when I do things not related to driving.
After a phone talk I usually can't remember what happened on the road while the call was going on, and that scares me, because it means my attention was anywhere else but not there. And in fact I don't remember what I talked about...

My passenger are used to the fact that my conversations often become nonsensical or end in the middle of a sentence, when my attention gets refocused on driving
And that's why I don't listen to radio stations (too much chit chat) but only to music I already know. Listening to new albums would be pointless, I must dedicate attention to enjoy the music...

When I hear people telling me that they can properly phone and drive, or text and drive, I consider that as the ones telling me they can drink and drive properly.
They're not lying: they're simply not capable of understand the difference between the two things, since paying attention to their driving would be the third thing they're doing at the same time

Same reason because I don't drink even a drop if I drive: even after a full beer I'd probably be able to drive better than the average driver, but that doesn't mean I'd be doing that properly...

Seriously: if we declare ourselves fans of cars, driving and roads, we must propose us just as PERFECT drivers. Or we're just hypocrites...

PS: a great site from US DOT:
http://www.distraction.gov/index.html
With many interesting research papers about distracted driving...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Last edited by Wilhem275; May 4th, 2012 at 12:01 AM.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #13513
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275
After a phone talk I usually can't remember what happened on the road while the call was going on, and that scares me, because it means my attention was anywhere else but not there.
This also happened to me few times and freaked me out...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #13514
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

I think that listening to the radio, talking to passengers or calling with hand free devices don't disturb driving so much unless you are maneuvring in a narrow parking or you are navigating in an unknown city. I feel more unconfortable changing manually heating/cooling settings, radio stations or CD tracks while I drive...
I think they should also fine for smoking while driving, it's very dangerous. However it's not a my problem because I don't smoke anyway.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #13515
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

I wrote some time ago about how Yugoslavian music was/is popular in Banat, Romania. A Facebook friend just posted this one, I remembered hearing it lots of times in my childhood.

cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #13516
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
The fact that most drivers actually do things apart from driving while driving, without getting involved in accidents, is not a point. We must look at statistics to decide what is or isn't dangerous while driving.

The main problem with talking at phone while driving is that the mostly impaired part of your body are not hands or eyes, but it's your brain.
Driving is not a single activity, it requires the complex coordination of watching different things (road, traffic, mirrors, instruments), listening, understanding what's going on, thinking quickly about what to do next and moving indipendently eyes, hands, arms, feet. You have to constantly acquire and recalculate your position on the road and the absolute and relative speed of your and others' vehicles, which is something non-natural for the human brain.
And, if you want to really be risk-aware, you must virtually "drive" for the vehicles around you, as well.

There's absolutely no more room for other activities since your brain is already required to perform a multitasking activity. And being in a conversation is not a simple task, it requires coordination itself and puts the focus on things which are not happening where the driver is, generating a conflict.

The average driver, here in Italy, totally lacks precision: most of the people doesn't know how to keep a constant speed, how to avoid driving on the lane markings (they don't know even the term "lane discipline"), how to mantain an adequate distance, when to use proper lights and signals.
In this mess the effects of distracted driving are not so evident immediately, but statistically they are.

Here's an important research that compared the driving quality of people on hands-free phones with DUIs:
http://www.unews.utah.edu/old/p/062206-1.html
This is the paper:
http://www.distraction.gov/research/...unk-driver.pdf

This is from the same researchers, about how drivers talking on phone reduce road capacity by being slow-reacting:
http://unews.utah.edu/old/p/121907-2.html

And this is about the different effects on phone talks vs. talking with a passenger:
http://www.distraction.gov/download/...versations.pdf
I can recognize my experience in these results: conversation with passengers is often traffic-oriented, and passengers understand immediately when the driver can't pay them attention.

I am a very precise driver, so I actually feel a negative difference in my driving quality when I do things not related to driving.
After a phone talk I usually can't remember what happened on the road while the call was going on, and that scares me, because it means my attention was anywhere else but not there. And in fact I don't remember what I talked about...

My passenger are used to the fact that my conversations often become nonsensical or end in the middle of a sentence, when my attention gets refocused on driving
And that's why I don't listen to radio stations (too much chit chat) but only to music I already know. Listening to new albums would be pointless, I must dedicate attention to enjoy the music...

When I hear people telling me that they can properly phone and drive, or text and drive, I consider that as the ones telling me they can drink and drive properly.
They're not lying: they're simply not capable of understand the difference between the two things, since paying attention to their driving would be the third thing they're doing at the same time

Same reason because I don't drink even a drop if I drive: even after a full beer I'd probably be able to drive better than the average driver, but that doesn't mean I'd be doing that properly...

Seriously: if we declare ourselves fans of cars, driving and roads, we must propose us just as PERFECT drivers. Or we're just hypocrites...

PS: a great site from US DOT:
http://www.distraction.gov/index.html
With many interesting research papers about distracted driving...
It CAN be done in Italy. They did it in France, and I consider the French drivers to be among the best in Europe, after Chirac`s war on dangerous driving. Lane discipline and constant speeds are overall good in France, with execptions of metropolitan areas like Paris and Lille. And lately I`ve noticed a very small miniscule improvement in northern Italy.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #13517
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

The french tend to drive quite lazy imo. They drive slow, but also often very inattentive. You can see that for instance when an emergency vehicle is trying to drive through between two lanes. The italians are more or less the opposite of that: they're more alert, but they just do things their own way and don't care too much about the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275
It's a pity, since the autostrada's are well equipped with good markings and clear warnings. The only thing that adds to the mess there is the inconsistent signage..

I actually wonder: what do the Italians learn when they are trying to get their driving licence? What do they have to do to fail for their exams?
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #13518
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
This also happened to me few times and freaked me out...
It's a very common phenomenon, sometimes you'll drive and suddenly realize you can't recall what the road looked like or what the traffic situation was in the past 15 minutes. You almost drive on auto-pilot.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #13519
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
I actually wonder: what do the Italians learn when they are trying to get their driving licence? What do they have to do to fail for their exams?
I can only tell my experience.
The examiners from Motorizzazione Civile (Italian equivalent of American DMV) can be quite strict. When I took my final exam for the licence, I had to drive in normal condition on my hometown's roads. At one point I had a right turn from a secondary road into a main road: no one coming from my left, so I entered the main road. From the right (so not crossing my path) a TIR honked (maybe he saw the car with "Driving school" markings and got scared), but there was absolutely no chance of colliding. The examiner did not want to give me my license for this reason... my instructor, who was also in the car, insisted saying that I did everything correctly and the TIR was wrong in honking. The examiner felt that I should have been more careful because "even if you did everything correctly, you must foresee that others could not: what if that TIR got more scared than he did and steered right into us?"

Long story short: the examiner gave me my license, but he was kinda reluctant till the end...
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #13520
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's a very common phenomenon, sometimes you'll drive and suddenly realize you can't recall what the road looked like or what the traffic situation was in the past 15 minutes. You almost drive on auto-pilot.
You don't need more than 3 sec. attention span. Which is why driving is kinda dangerous, technically speaking, with distractions.

Moreover, you use your peripheral vision A LOT when driving when you are used to it. Like driving hundreds of kms while keeping an eye on mirrors and noticing vehicles there but not actually and actively making an effort to put the eyes there, if you can understand what I mean.

Tags
highways, motorways