daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 7th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #13561
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
2x3 motorways become 2x2 also when trucks can circulate because the right lane is overcrowded by them and only 2 lanes remain to light traffic.
Only on some motorways. Between Milan and Turin for example there is no reason why anyone should hog the middle lane.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #13562
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

first time I hear blinking is illegal.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #13563
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg
first time I hear blinking is illegal.
It is illegal if you use it to warn oncoming traffic about the presence of a road block or speed camera. No explicit law exists but sometimes cops make stories and fine you with another reason, like you are disturbing traffic or driving recklessy.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #13564
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Irish trucks are the worst for that. Their trucks usually do not have the 90 km limiter on them, and their bosses give them "overtaking money" which means that if they get cought overtaking in Germany despite a ban, they will pay the fine with that money.
I know multiple Dutch companies where the boss is paying such fines, especially for flower transports for instance. Combined with an often little higher (illegal) adjusted speed limiter plus an oversized 500hp+ engine...

I personally don't risk it mostly, unless some bastards (grannies/caravans) are doing below 70km/h. Overtaking bans are generally on logical motorways and times, with some exceptions. And some countries are quite strict on this: in Italy you can even lose your licence for a while for it...
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #13565
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
2x3 motorways become 2x2 also when trucks can circulate because the right lane is overcrowded by them and only 2 lanes remain to light traffic.
But in that case, at least there is a reason.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #13566
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
The most frightening episode occurring me while driving on a motorway was last summer. It was on the A4/A23 junction in Italy. I was driving from Trieste towards Venice. In the interchange area the speed is reduced and overtaking is forbidden. Two Swiss campers overtook me and cut the road in front of me, so I had to brake a lot and I almost had an accident.
i actually don't remember passing that intersection without at least one idiot who took wrong direction and changed the lanes in last metres, especially direction Trieste - Venezia. traffic managment is bad there, and also overhead signs are at completely wrong positions when taking the lanes is over already. for somebody first driving there it is a nightmare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Maybe you never drove in Italy during truck ban on Sundays. Right lane is empty. How to turn a 2x3 motorway into 2x2
i actually did and it was Roma - Napoli. i was surprised with driving culture ok, it was once and 4 years ago, otherwise i drove only on A4, A13 and A14 regarding 3+3, and right lanes were reserved for trucks.

Last edited by x-type; May 7th, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #13567
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
The most frightening episode occurring me while driving on a motorway was last summer. It was on the A4/A23 junction in Italy. I was driving from Trieste towards Venice. In the interchange area the speed is reduced and overtaking is forbidden. Two Swiss campers overtook me and cut the road in front of me, so I had to brake a lot and I almost had an accident.
I almost crashed there as well, because of the same reason. that junction is dangerous.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #13568
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
Not exactly... I was quite happy... maybe because I just had traveled on the magnificent Struma motorway and was driving on the supa-dupa E79, just after Dolna Dikanya in direction to Dupnitsa... And all the shiny crash-barriers and the great news made my incredibly happy
So in case you wished to have a kid, recieving those news on that road made it the best day in your life, no better place to recieve new news than the stretch Sofia - Dupnica. And the fact you did not remember really the last kilometers is, because you enjoyed the road and was almost day dreaming because of the calming atmosphere, the raod causes when driving on it.
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #13569
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i actually don't remember passing that intersection without at least one idiot who took wrong direction and changed the lanes in last metres, especially direction Trieste - Venezia. traffic managment is bad there, and also overhead signs are at completely wrong positions when taking the lanes is over already. for somebody first driving there it is a nightmare.

i actually did and it was Roma - Napoli. i was surprised with driving culture ok, it was once and 4 years ago, otherwise i drove only on A4, A13 and A14 regarding 3+3, and right lanes were reserved for trucks.
The driving culture as you call it on the A1 between Rome and Naples is unique to say the least. The motorway coming from Patras towards Athens in Greece is a degree worse. Some slower drivers get so frightened of the other bastards on the road that they drive on the hard shoulder. And I got done for speeding there once

Driving in Athens is also an experience. It makes Naples in the rush hour look like Walton-on-the-Naze on a Sunday afternoon. The fraction of the second that that traffic light turns green you have about 10 cars behind you blowing their horns...
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #13570
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Driving in Athens is also an experience. It makes Naples in the rush hour look like Walton-on-the-Naze on a Sunday afternoon. The fraction of the second that that traffic light turns green you have about 10 cars behind you blowing their horns...
It's hard to believe, but I trust you

Btw, have you ever driven in Palermo?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #13571
Road_UK
BANNED

No I can´t say I have. Never been any further then just outside Messina...
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #13572
bogdymol
bogdymod

I'm back from Belgrade. Great city with quite a good infrastructure. I'll post pics at the end of the week.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of hogging in the middle lane when the right lane is empty on a 3-lane motorway, watch this video recorded by a romanian guy near Ingolstadt, Germany:

www.trafictube.ro
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #13573
Road_UK
BANNED

I`m sorry having to say this, but Eastern Europeans in Germany are the worst when it comes to hogging the middle lane, closely followed by the Swiss and Danish...

I am saying this out of my own experience only...
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #13574
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

In Romania there also a lot of hornblowers and angry frustrated drivers
Latin-balkanic temperament
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #13575
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
I`m sorry having to say this, but Eastern Europeans in Germany are the worst when it comes to hogging the middle lane, closely followed by the Swiss and Danish...

that's true. however, i am sure this is only because of lack of education how to drive 3+3 because we don't have them (those sections with climbing lanes are not actually real 3+3). so people think that right lane is for slow vehicles, middle lane for normal driving, and left lane for overtaking.
Old May 7th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #13576
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:

You forgot the Dutch

(Not my video)

And we can't merge either here in NL...

keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #13577
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Was it snowdog flying by?
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #13578
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Just did around 25km with my bicycle and I am tired as hell
http://g.co/maps/fxetv
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #13579
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

I usually take this route when I go cycling. After that I'm tired as hell too
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #13580
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I think I may have overdone it. It's my first time I cycle this much. I left thinking of also taking pictures. All nice and well, but the last 5km or so I barely dragged myself home .

Last edited by cinxxx; May 8th, 2012 at 08:09 PM.

Tags
highways, motorways