daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #13641
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Toronto Broken Red light -Traffic handled by young man
Artur 21 years old
Friday April 27 during rush hour - around 4:00 pm
Dufferin and Steels

cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #13642
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Also, I heard about people booking a flight to Konstanz, Germany and arriving in Constanta, Romania instead...
It was one of my former co-workers.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #13643
bogdymol
bogdymod

Did he enjoy the Romanian seaside?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #13644
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol
Did he enjoy the Romanian seaside?
My father did a road trip to Romania in the late 70s and he went also to the seaside (Constanta and Mamaia). He said that, although people living there were very poor and travelled mostly by donkey karts, seaside resorts looked very modern already back then. That's because the regime wanted to show its strenght to foreigners. In those years wasn't difficult for Westeners get a visa to Romania but was almost impossible to Rumanians going to Western Europe.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #13645
bogdymol
bogdymod

1000 posts

Yeah, the seaside looked quite good back then, but now the quality of the services offered there is going down, so many romanians choose to go to the seaside in other countries (Greece, Bulgaria, Croatia, Montenegro).

I don't know how hard was to obtain the Romanian visa back then, but I know that for the Romanians it was almost impossible to get out of the country.
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #13646
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
pasante di Mestre rocks. Greetings from Padova.
You've been at 2 km from my house

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #13647
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol
for the Romanians it was almost impossible to get out of the country.
Even in other Warsaw pact countries?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old May 14th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #13648
bogdymol
bogdymod

Even there. The regime didn't issue passports for ordinary citizens.
Old May 14th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #13649
italystf

My father and his friends entered and left Romania from Yugoslavia (now Serbia). The border crossing on the Belgrade - Timisoara road took quite long and everything inside the car was inspected. But once inside the country they could wander anywhere for the whole time before their visa expired. There were paved roads connecting all towns but almost no motor vehicles. They meet many tourists from Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary and DDR that were allowed to travel between Eastern countries and also few tourists from Western Europe. Poverty was very widespread but the country was safe for tourists because people lived in a state of police. In those years we (Western Europeans) we knew that they had no democracy and freedom but we weren't aware of all atrocities committed by regimes because many things were kept secret until 1989.
Old May 14th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #13650
bogdymol
bogdymod

While visiting Belgrade I remembered a problem that I hate while driving. When you enter a motorway/other road at a grade separated interchange you always get the yield sign:

sorry for the crappy pic... it's a screen shot from one of my videos

But after that sign you don't always know if you will have a merging lane...

image hosted on flickr

or not...

image hosted on flickr

both pics are from ChrisZwolle

If you have a merging lane you have to go faster, but if you don't maybe you even have to stop... but the problem is that you might expect to have a merging lane so you are not prepared for stopping. In Belgrade I had this problem in this interchange.
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #13651
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

oh, inconsistency on German highways is a thing we can talk about for ages.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #13652
bogdymol
bogdymod

It's not about German highways, but highways in general. I just used those pics as an example.

I would like to see a clear way of pre-signalizing this 2 distinct situations. I think that if you have a merging lane you don't need the yield sign, but if they really want to keep the yield sign they should at least mount a STOP sign where there is no merging lane.
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #13653
bogdymol
bogdymod

Here is an example:

What do you have to do here? Approach at low speed because you might have to stop to give way to other traffic or you can accelerate your car because you have a merging lane and you have to keep up ~ the same speed with the comming traffic?
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #13654
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

but the Murphy's law says that you will allways have somebody merging with 50 km/h in front of you despite the long merging lanes.
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #13655
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Here is an example:

What do you have to do here? Approach at low speed because you might have to stop to give way to other traffic or you can accelerate your car because you have a merging lane and you have to keep up ~ the same speed with the comming traffic?
I agree with you, but there are already signs capable of telling the two situations apart: a yield sign for merging lanes and a stop sign for a direct connection. I've seen some, especially on shorter-than-usual ramps due to roadworks.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #13656
Bobek_Azbest
Blah blah blah

Likes (Received): 88

The easy and clear solution are variants of this:

(e.g. here in "action")
Bobek_Azbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #13657
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Sadly in most countries this is considered too "unsafe".

I would like to see that to be allowed here on older motorway interchanges, but I must do that illegally although it would decrease some congestion on side road entering main one.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #13658
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

New football pitch (opened today) right under D1 in Bratidslava -

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #13659
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

I suppose it won't take long before balls are ending up on the motorway.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #13660
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

New rules: if you send the ball in the opponents' net by overpassing the motorway, you score 3 points

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways