daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #13681
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

There is also the case that right lane cars could make a right turn, that can speed up things sometimes. Especially if there is red light traffic.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:05 AM   #13682
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

lots of snow today on Tauern autobahn.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #13683
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Studies have shown it doens't really matter which lane you pick in a regular traffic jam. If it's slow traffic, the right lane is sometimes faster because they're mostly trucks, which means fewer objects to accelerate and brake compared to the left lane. Not necessarily faster, but a more steady pace instead of the hyper stop-and-go traffic on the left lane. On the other hand, if there is a nearly stationary traffic jam (for instance because there is a lane reduction ahead), the left lane is usually faster because trucks can't merge as fast as cars.
I just pick the lane that gets me to where I want to go (I have the N2/M3 split to deal with on my way home, OK!), and then just stay in it.
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #13684
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
40 cm of snow in Sarajevo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
lots of snow today on Tauern autobahn.
Wtf

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #13685
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Studies have shown it doens't really matter which lane you pick in a regular traffic jam. If it's slow traffic, the right lane is sometimes faster because they're mostly trucks, which means fewer objects to accelerate and brake compared to the left lane. Not necessarily faster, but a more steady pace instead of the hyper stop-and-go traffic on the left lane. On the other hand, if there is a nearly stationary traffic jam (for instance because there is a lane reduction ahead), the left lane is usually faster because trucks can't merge as fast as cars.
It depends where you are. I`ve seen it too often in the UK, that people sit in traffic in lane 3, when lane 1 and 2 are moving at an almost normal pace. And lane 3 will never be able to catch up. I did my own study on these things.

In Germany it doesn´t make much difference, this is true.

Also, at the Dartford toll crossing, I normally pick the longest queue and sit behind freight, going through these tolls. People are stupid and think that a lane of 20 cars in line will go through faster then a longer queue of 8 lorries.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #13686
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

In Hungary drivers are so polite that in a lane reduction case the lane which will be closed is always much faster than the one wich is not closed.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #13687
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

At the moment I'm trying to study how queues perform at a multi-lane roundabout. I don't have any definitive results since there are too many variables, but usually the left lane is less used.

But you have to take extra care, since most of the morons want to enter from right lane, then cut to the center of the roundabout, then exiting on the right lane again... lane discipline at its worst

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #13688
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
But you have to take extra care, since most of the morons want to enter from right lane, then cut to the center of the roundabout, then exiting on the right lane again... lane discipline at its worst
What do you mean? Isn't this how it's supposed to drive on a multilane roundabout? If it isn't, then the innermost lane would never be used...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #13689
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Hell no! You have to follow the lanes...
You may cut only if no one else is around, but doing that with others on the parallel lanes is something brutal and, in fact, screws up the concept of multiple lanes

That's a typical place where I get cut exiting the roundabout...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #13690
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19398

That's why you need turbo roundabouts. They are much more efficiently used.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #13691
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
You may cut only if no one else is around, but doing that with others on the parallel lanes is something brutal and, in fact, screws up the concept of multiple lanes

Ah ok, I get it now. Problem is that there are many two-lane roundabouts that end up in one-lane streets...
Old May 16th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #13692
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza

Ah ok, I get it now. Problem is that there are many two-lane roundabouts that end up in one-lane streets...
There is an Italian regulation that forbid roundabouts with more than one exit lane and this is a limitation for building roundabouts on high capacity roads.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #13693
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Makes sense. Italian roundabouts are scary enough as it is.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #13694
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
There is an Italian regulation that forbid roundabouts with more than one exit lane and this is a limitation for building roundabouts on high capacity roads.
Are you sure? I didn't mean that all Italian roundabouts have only 1 exit lane. Here in Brescia there's plenty of roundabouts with 2 exit lanes.
Old May 16th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #13695
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:

This happens a lot where I live. The morons who do this even have the audacity to question why you're blaring the horn at them too.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #13696
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza

Are you sure? I didn't mean that all Italian roundabouts have only 1 exit lane. Here in Brescia there's plenty of roundabouts with 2 exit lanes.
I saw one in Mestre with 2 exit lanes. But last year they opened a new roundabout on the Latisana - Lignano road. The road is 2x2 for its entire lenght but the new roundabout has only an exit lane and it was justufied because more exit lanes aren't allowed.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #13697
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

at driving school I was taught always go to inner lane when you enter if you dont leave at the first exit
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #13698
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2285

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
Google in the nearest time is planning to start taking pictures of Latvian towns for street view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
That means you'll have to behave (no more running around naked).
Whoops! http://g.co/maps/5g63c

RipleyLV está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #13699
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

As many of you know, I track euronotes on EuroBillTracker. Well, right now I got my first hit!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #13700
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
How did you find that
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways