daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:49 PM   #13821
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

While people are sunbathing in much of the Netherlands, people in western Zeeland province have to fire up their heating...

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:53 PM   #13822
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

Big temperature differences Chris, for such a small distance.

Hey guys, does anyone know when there will be proper electric cars or water cars? It is important that they finally develop cars that entirely function with alternative energy and it is a shame it is still not here. Car companies promised such cars to be here after 2000 and still there are no such cars. The biggest dissapointment is, that actually the Asian car manufractures are doing something on it, but not the big european companies, especially the German companies. I read that Toyota will release a battery that can go 800 km with one charge. Does anyone have good news on this subject?
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:16 PM   #13823
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

What do you mean by "proper electric cars"?

(And forget about water cars, they're a thermodynamic nonsense)
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:33 PM   #13824
Radish2

I mean hydrogen cars. And with electric cars I mean cars that can drive long and require a short time to chrage. I am affraid there must be a solution within the next ten years, otherwise the oil will decrease to a crtical level.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:19 PM   #13825
Radish2

Ok, I see noone shows real interest here, it is really a shame you don#t show interest. So I guess Chris, you rich duch like to pollute the environment and would not drive a hybrid or electric car. you wnat a real car, a car you can speed real fast and hear the sound of a big engine, that eats 50 liters per 100 km. At least you look like that.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:35 PM   #13826
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

F*** off!

Something funny for a change:

And trust me, I live in a largely Russian neighbourhood, I know
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:35 PM   #13827
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Come on, radish, you cannot expect a reply in one hour, or infer lack of interest or worse, accusing an entire people. Chill out, man.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:39 PM   #13828
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Water requires an immense amount of energy to be heated and converted into kinetic energy. It can't generate excess energy by being boiled or something. I just don't see the point of a "water car".
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:41 PM   #13829
Rebasepoiss

Hydrogen cars are a joke. All in all (considering the amount of energy needed to produce hydrogen) they use more energy than LNG cars or even battery-powered electric cars.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:42 PM   #13830
Radish2

But do you agree there must be alternative energy? You should, what is your option for that? Electric cars, if they manage to make batteries that charge fast it would be fine.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:48 PM   #13831
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

the topic is very complex and it cannot be dismissed just by saying "we need electric cars". For instance, batteries in electric cars use huge amounts of lithium and other elements called "rare earths", which are very expensive and, as the name suggest, rare and not renewable. So basically cars can use renewable energies but through non-renewable elements.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:51 PM   #13832
Rebasepoiss

Of course alternative energy sources should be used for automobiles but at the moment I can't really see anything that would provide the same kind of mobility as current fossile fuel powered vehicles do. Mind you, Estonia now has around 500 electric car in use by different municipalities and social establishements - the range drops down to around 60km in winter which is clearly not enough.

About lithium, it's not really the biggest issue. We're good with lithium for another 100 years or so, as far as I know.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:52 PM   #13833
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Thanks very much bogdy!
didn't know it was your birthday. Congrats!
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:55 PM   #13834
Radish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Of course alternative energy sources should be used for automobiles but at the moment I can't really see anything that would provide the same kind of mobility as current fossile fuel powered vehicles do. Mind you, Estonia now has around 500 electric car in use by different municipalities and social establishements - the range drops down to around 60km in winter which is clearly not enough.

About lithium, it's not really the biggest issue. We're good with lithium for another 100 years or so, as far as I know.
I heart today electric cars have a capacity of 150 km, at least japanese electric cars such as toyota or mitsubishi.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:04 PM   #13835
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish2 View Post
I heart today electric cars have a capacity of 150 km, at least japanese electric cars such as toyota or mitsubishi.
Imagine driving from Struma motorway to Germany with a car like that. You would have to stop every 150 km for an 8-hour battery refill.

Electric cars are the future! Just that the future isn't here yet...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:06 PM   #13836
Radish2

True, they are not developed properly yet. But hybrids are very good and more people should buy hybrids. so when the battery is full you would use the energy and when it is empty you would use normal fuel. Does it charge when driving?
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:08 PM   #13837
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
True, they are not developed properly yet. But hybrids are very good and more people should buy hybrids. so when the battery is full you would use the energy and when it is empty you would use normal fuel. Does it charge when driving?
Why would I buy a 25k € hybrid Prius when I can get the same mpg (L/100 km) with my diesel 10k € Clio?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:14 PM   #13838
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Yes, they have a range of 150km in ideal conditions but in winter it drops down to 60km.... All the municipal electric cars in Estonia are Mitsubishi MiEV's or its equivalents.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:15 PM   #13839
Radish2

because it saves ressources and keeps the environment more clean. When you don#t have the money you should not buy it, but when you do you should or otherwise use public transport. That is my opnion. Public transport functions on fuel aswell, when you look at buses, but you would leave your car at home and save ressources and protect the environment. I think protecting the environment is underrated and it is very important.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:16 PM   #13840
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18300

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
didn't know it was your birthday. Congrats!
Thanks
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways