daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:16 PM   #13841
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish2 View Post
I heart today electric cars have a capacity of 150 km, at least japanese electric cars such as toyota or mitsubishi.
Batteries works really bad in a cold environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
About lithium, it's not really the biggest issue. We're good with lithium for another 100 years or so, as far as I know.
True, but a very large part of today's world extraction (I believe over 50%) happens in one small region in Bolivia. Should anything strange happen there...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:19 PM   #13842
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish2 View Post
because it saves ressources and keeps the environment more clean. When you don#t have the money you should not buy it, but when you do you should or otherwise use public transport. That is my opnion. Public transport functions on fuel aswell, when you look at buses, but you would leave your car at home and save ressources and protect the environment. I think protecting the environment is underrated and it is very important.
What resources do I save if I drive a Prius instead of a Clio? The mpg is the same. More, the Prius also needs those those polluting batteries, but the Clio doesn't...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:20 PM   #13843
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

The batteries wil improve in futre and you would change one batterie in 3 years or more, so that is not an issue really. so your clio charges the same ammount of fuel as the prius? how came? And not all people drive a clio, people prefer a BMW 7 or Mercedes S class, the ******* German developers don't do anything on the issue. Even Austria is doing more on the issue, but Germany is a country where people wnat to have "style", not caring about environment. Especially the older people.
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:23 PM   #13844
bogdymol
bogdymod

After a quick search on the internet I found out that a Prius needs 4.70 L/100 km, while a 1.5 diesel engine Clio needs 4.30 L/100 km, while it's half the price of a Prius...
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:27 PM   #13845
Radish2

Well the Prius is an exceptional car still, my fathers Fiat coupe charges 10 l for 100 km, so 4,7 is great. If you can tell me more cars that charge only 4 liters in hundret km, especially bigger cars, then you may say the Prius is bad.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:29 PM   #13846
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

You can't compare a Prius with bigger cars. You have to compare it to its equivalents.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:31 PM   #13847
bogdymol
bogdymod

Many auto producers have efficient cars, or at least an efficient version of it. You can check this ones:

BMW 320d Efficient Dynamics
Skoda Octavia/Fabia Greenline
Renault Clio/Megane (some engines)
Ford Fiesta/Focus
VW Polo/Golf/Passat (eco versions)
Opel Corsa/Astra
etc.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:33 PM   #13848
Radish2

But japanese companies also offer hybrid on bigger cars, while european manufractures do not offer that. Except French companies.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:36 PM   #13849
bogdymol
bogdymod

Yeah, Lexus has a hybrid version (LS600), but I don't see the point of it. It's an extremely big car with an extremely big petrol engine that wants a lot of fuel, and with a little electric engine just to say that it's hybrid. The fuel consumption is not small on this car.

As I said before... Electric cars are the future! Just that the future isn't here yet...
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:34 PM   #13850
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

I think they could devise some systems to transfer energy via some sort of electrical supply under/over/via induction on the highways itself.

Think of it: theoretically, it shouldn't be THAT difficult to fit controlled-access roads with some 380V wiring from which hybrid cars fitted with some automobile version of train pantographs could draw energy from. Surely it would be a bit unsightly to see 4m-high pantographs on cars, and they would weight a bit, but I think the idea is not totally out-of-this-World, especially if coupled with a live spider-net like energized "cover" instead of single wires.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:02 PM   #13851
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

Yesterday I had the opportunity to drive an Opel Ampera (European version of Chevrolet Volt), a hybrid where the petrol engine is used only to recharge the batteries, the car is always moved by the electric engine. It can also be charged from the electric network. When fully charged, the car can drive about 80 km in fully electric mode, without turning the petrol engine on. With the petrol engine, the range is about 500 km, with a consumption around 6 l/100 km.

Driving it was not really different than a normal car with automatic gearbox, I actually liked it. It is totally silent and the acceleration is great thanks to the electric engine.

It seems that this technology is an opportunity for daily commuters, who can charge the car at home, and maybe at their workplace, but not for longer (100+ km) journeys. The price is very high at the moment, but with the spread of the technology it might decrease.
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:05 PM   #13852
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19412

Electric cars currently have ranges where you usually already would refuel if you drove on petrol. 80 km left means less than 1/8th fuel remaining in most cars. If you think about how much is cost to charge an electric car than can drive 80 km (about € 4 - 5), it's not really cheaper than diesel fuel...
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:41 PM   #13853
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Stop talking about useless electric cars! Here's the real future

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...0101/205230371

Quote:
Fiat announces alliance with Mazda

By Bryce G. Hoffman
The Detroit News

Fiat SpA — the parent company of Chrysler Group LLC — today announced a new alliance with Mazda Motor Corp.

The two companies signed a non-binding memorandum of understanding to jointly develop and manufacture two new rear-wheel-drive roadsters based on Mazda’s next-generation MX-5 platform: a new Miata and an as yet unnamed Alfa Romeo. The cars will be produced at Mazda’s factory in Hiroshima, beginning in 2015.

Japan’s fifth-largest automaker has struggled since Ford Motor Co. sold most of its stake in the company during the recent recession, and industry insiders say it is desperately needs a new partner if it is to survive.

“Establishing technology and product development alliances is one of Mazda’s corporate objectives, and this announcement with Fiat is an important first step in that direction,” said Mazda Chairman and CEO Takashi Yamanouchi in a statement Wednesday. “It is especially exciting to be collaborating with such a prestigious marque as Alfa Romeo.”

The two companies said they are also discussing further “opportunities for collaboration in Europe.”

Fiat, which took over a bankrupt Chrysler in 2009 as part of a bailout agreement brokered by the Obama administration, says it needs a third leg to its stool in order to be a real player in the global auto business.

“Asia is the weakest part of our stool,” Fiat-Chrysler Chairman and CEO Sergio Marchionne told reporters during a recent press conference.

“By partnering with Mazda, we will be cooperating with the recognized leader in compact rear-drive vehicle architectures in order to deliver an exciting and stylish roadster in the Alfa Romeo tradition,” Marchionne said in a statement Wednesday. “We are appreciative of this collaboration with Mazda and look forward to maintaining a fruitful and continuous relationship.”

Shares in Mazda jumped Wednesday after news of the possible tie-up with Fiat was first reported Japanese broadcaster NHK.

Mazda has lost money for four straight years. Because it builds most of its cars in Japan and exports most of them, it has been hurt by the strong yen.

A final agreement between Fiat and Mazda is expected to be signed in the second half of the year.

Marchionne, who says he needs to sell 600,000 vehicles annually to be a true global contender, paid nothing for Chrysler and has said he was not particularly interested in purchasing a third partner outright.

NHK reported that the alliance with Mazda was unlikely to involve an exchange of funds.

F*ck me, what a hell of a car will it be! Alfa's fun & engines (and style) and Mazda's lightness & quality.
Now I know what car I'll be driving in some years

Seriously, this is one of the best news of the last decades for petrolheads...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:19 PM   #13854
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/28/res...tteries_2.html

http://gizmodo.com/5889295/new-elect...and-halve-cost

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/f...ries-0606.html
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:24 PM   #13855
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Electric cars currently have ranges where you usually already would refuel if you drove on petrol. 80 km left means less than 1/8th fuel remaining in most cars. If you think about how much is cost to charge an electric car than can drive 80 km (about € 4 - 5), it's not really cheaper than diesel fuel...
The ranges is at least 80 km but usually it is 150 km, on the Mitsubishi for example. Don't mind the Opel Ampera. You should like the idea of having a car with alternative energy since it is about time and it is not good to vaporize fuel, that will never return.
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #13856
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5860

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
The ranges is at least 80 km but usually it is 150 km, on the Mitsubishi for example. Don't mind the Opel Ampera. You should like the idea of having a car with alternative energy since it is about time and it is not good to vaporize fuel, that will never return.

How about this?

Place a turbine propeller on top this way as the car travels the wind makes electricity keeping the batteries loaded. Problem solved. You can make fuel while you use fuel.
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #13857
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9160

"Perpetum mobile" doesn't exist. There's no way to create the same amount of energy, that you need to spend to move around.

In other news, there was another about 4.3 by Richter scale aftershock at 00:59 strongly felt in Sofia...
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #13858
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
It is useless (and a bit hypocritical) to buy an electric car to prevent pollution, while 80% of that electricity is still produced by fossil fuels. It is just moving the problem from one spot to another.
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #13859
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Good news for Sweden !

1st. Tomorrow it's going to be +27 C here. A record temperature for May

2nd Chinese brand Great Wall is soon going to be marketed here, by Renault, Dacia dealers. Dacia is now on the 97th place for most sold brand in Sweden.

When chinese cars enter the market. It's going to be tough competition for the other non premium brands. French, italian brands, some japanese ones are going to loose shares of the auto market. People want cheaper cars !! I read about the new Dacia Lodgy seems to be an interesting family van with a decent price tag.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #13860
Bobek_Azbest
Blah blah blah

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It is useless (and a bit hypocritical) to buy an electric car to prevent pollution, while 80% of that electricity is still produced by fossil fuels. It is just moving the problem from one spot to another.
I wouldn't agree. The pollution can be moved away from the large concentrations of people and quite effective pollutant filters can be installed on site of the single large source. There are issues though, like the lower efficiency of the whole energy chain.
Bobek_Azbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways