daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #13901
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

What does that have to do with my question?
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #13902
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by arriaca View Post

The spanish forumers need help to identify the country (or the pace) where this photo was taken.

Thanks !!
Road markings, vegetation, diamond road sign and left-side drive suggests either New South Wales/Victoria in Australia, or New Zealand... and I have a sneaky suspicion that it's the latter.

Just don't ask me exactly where.
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #13903
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
neither here. and two persons on 1 bike - sometimes here i find it rare to see 2 persons in one car
(i confess, i hate sharing a car while going to work in the morning - i hate the whole world early in the morning and those 10 minutes while commuting are mine and god's; i used to share my car with my neighbour who really kindly asked me for that, and i hated it )
In Italy is illegal carrying a passenger (except small children on the appropriate seat, off course) on a bycicle and I know two people that were admonished by a cop for that. However it's rarely enforced and you sometimes see people doing that (99% of them are between 12 and 16 years old ).

It's photoshopped. I don't think they would paint markings and instal signs, reflective poles and crashbarriers before digging.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #13904
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Well, just by increasing the entropy of the the "system Earth" it doesn't mean that the energy is "dirty". Energy is "dirty" when the subproducts of its generation are greenhouse-gases or something harmful to life.
An hypotetical source of energy whose subproducts was only, say, N2, would increase entropy of the universe but was uneffective to life and energetic balance of planet Earth, since N2 is not a greenhouse gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
yeah, I even had drunken unknown people that I passed on the street jumping on my bike... .

But to be honest, it wasnt so easy to perform when I needed it.

There is nothing like a clean energy...

Ultimately, we just try to transform energy from one form into another, we transform it into the usable form for our purposes. Using it, we transform it into unusable form for our purposes. Since we want to use energy in a way when we decrease entropy of some system, inevitably entropy of another system increases. Theoretically we could find a ballance in that. If half of our needs were fullfiled by incrasing entropy and the other half by decreasing entropy. If there is no balance we will allways need some sort of "landfill".

The problem arises, because transforming energy into usable form costs energy... thus the balance can hardly be achieved.

And this is also interesting reading...

http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/...ets-physicist/
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 03:23 AM   #13905
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Well, just by increasing the entropy of the the "system Earth" it doesn't mean that the energy is "dirty". Energy is "dirty" when the subproducts of its generation are greenhouse-gases or something harmful to life.
An hypotetical source of energy whose subproducts was only, say, N2, would increase entropy of the universe but was uneffective to life and energetic balance of planet Earth, since N2 is not a greenhouse gas.
The first organisms on the planet as a byproduct of their living populated the atmosphere with oxygen... as a result they were extinct.

I dont really know if increasing the amount of Nitrogen in the atmosphere by say 10 % would have no effect on the earth system as it works like now. I dont think so, the thing is too complex. I infer that the universe, as well as Earth, is a dynamic system. There is no static balance. The whole purpose of life is to change the system in ways that would not be possible without life, life is able to change entropy more effectively. In fact, life is organizing itself as a decreased entropy. Well, but inevitably, the entropy has to increase somewhere else then. The problem comes (at least for us) when the system changes too rapidly and life is not able to respond to it.

It would be like putting a refridgerator running on a battery into an isolated room. For some time it would work perfectly fine. The battery would make the refridgerator running, it would create cold inside and slowly making the room warm up. At certain point the heat in the room would be so high that the battery would boil from the heat. Then after some time the system would come back to the first stage. Well lets say that life is bit different and it can craete some technology better than the battery, even so, after some time it will face the same problem.

Unless the life will come with some ingenious solution that would baffle the laws of thermodynamics it will anyway allways face the last result of this energy game, and that very high entropy outside of itself (which could be for example very high heat, or radiation etc, quite dangerous to the human life).

The problem with life on the other side is, that it needs action in order to exists as a life. Life without action is not a life, its dead. But in order to create action, it has to create entropy, because for action it needs to transform energy from one state into another.

I agree that certainly we should seek such energy sources that seem to be the least harmfull given some criteria. The pollution is in my eyes inevitable, but it can be managable and the life can adapt in the process. There are lots of toxic compounds in our bodies and in our enviroment, if their amount is kept small the body is able to take care of them. Eventually, we might be able to adapt to them, and in far future we might change them into resources instead of toxic compounds.

But the problem persists. Needing more and more energy will cause us to create more and more entropy somewhere. We can create a oasis from the whole planet, making landfill of the universe... but that is just the same problem we face now, we were just not aware of it in the past (that polluting river does matter even if our village is not polluted).

What is the solution? I dont really know. But I guess there are more complex things than the thermodynamic laws that we have to find out... thats the purpose of life of course .
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:41 AM   #13906
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5859

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
What does that have to do with my question?
Because your question has no specific answer, other than... a lot. I was being sarcastic by the way. No matter what anyone does in this world there will always be someone finding fault with it. That's all.
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #13907
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

:O :O
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #13908
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

Reminds me of this racing clip:

Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #13909
bogdymol
bogdymod

What a goal

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #13910
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It's photoshopped. I don't think they would paint markings and instal signs, reflective poles and crashbarriers before digging.
Well, road looks abandoned, water ducts clogged (bad mainteance), tracks on the pavement lead only to the field in front on the left. Probably the road was meant to be build in full, but apparently some land expropriation problems halted construction. Often in such case it is requested from contractor to build road to complete finish.

We had such problem in Slovenia about 12 years ago, where a farmer wouldn't sell his house, which was in the middle of planned motorway right after A1-H3 interchange so they build completely everything until farmers parcel boundary. Motorway was even partially opened, because it remained enough space for traffic running southbound on one lane using future hardshoulder (no pictures, sadly)
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 04:34 AM   #13911
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Does anyone else experience some weird coincidences as often as me? For example: I was just looking at the Wikipedia article about the Croatian city of Karlovac (in Croatian). Then all of a sudden I remember Michael Jackson's Earth Song (I haven't heard it for years). A minute later I read this:
Quote:
U Karlovcu je sniman dio spota za pjesmu Earth Song američkog pjevača Michaela Jacksona 1995. godine.
(translation: A part of the video for the Earth Song of the American singer Michael Jackson was shot in Karlovac in 1995.)
http://hr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlovac#Povijest

It happens to me all the time.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #13912
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5859

Yup, it's called a synchronicity and it happens to me all the time too and sometimes it is extremely creepy. In fact it just happened a few minutes ago with something I just saw on TV coinciding with something that I did at work earlier today.
Old May 26th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #13913
bogdymol
bogdymod

Budapest Bucharest, Romania, yesterday:

Old May 26th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #13914
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

What was the reason for that flood? Some broken pipe?
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #13915
bogdymol
bogdymod

Heavy rain
Old May 26th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #13916
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Does anyone else experience some weird coincidences as often as me? For example: I was just looking at the Wikipedia article about the Croatian city of Karlovac (in Croatian). Then all of a sudden I remember Michael Jackson's Earth Song (I haven't heard it for years). A minute later I read this:http://hr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlovac#Povijest

it has just happened. namely, yesterday i was thinking about starting similar discussion on this thread

i have another weird thing: number 939 follows me in my life. there is huge possibility that when i randomly look at the watch the time is 9:39 o'clock. or that randomly passed car has 939 on licence plates exactly when i decide to see which number that car has. or the price of some interesting thing in store is 9,39 or 93,90 or 939,00... sometimes it is interesting, and sometimes it freaks me out.
Old May 26th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #13917
bogdymol
bogdymod

This also happened to me some time ago with 911. Everywhere I was seeing 911, but it stopped recently.

PS: I liked the 911 joke of The Dictator trailer (@2:08)
Old May 26th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #13918
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Does anyone else experience some weird coincidences as often as me? For example: I was just looking at the Wikipedia article about the Croatian city of Karlovac (in Croatian). Then all of a sudden I remember Michael Jackson's Earth Song (I haven't heard it for years). A minute later I read this:http://hr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlovac#Povijest

Me too! Recently I discovered a book shop in my hometown that shares its name with a furniture shop of Zaragoza!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #13919
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
it has just happened. namely, yesterday i was thinking about starting similar discussion on this thread
That coincidence yesterday quite freaked me out. Firstly, I haven't heard or thought of the Earth Song for years, and secondly, I had no idea a part of the video was shot in Karlovac.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #13920
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Has any of you seen the TV Show "Touch"?
It's exactly about such things
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways