daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #14201
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

It's basically unregulated, they can drive as long as they want. That's the whole advantage of these long haul express deliveries.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #14202
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

It is the only way we can do our job. We are a European EXPRESS delivery company, and people use us as a last resort. That is why we are also called "panic vans". We usually come in when a factory is behind on production, and another factory can't operate without these essential parts.

But not just that. A while back a Brit and his wife decided to open a hair salon in Marbella, and I delivered their furniture. It just about fitted in the van.

And a very rich Greek couple went to London to buy loads of wine, and they needed wine racks to store it in. So I picked a load of wine racks up at a local carpenter in Essex and took it to Athens, where the English butler got his staff to unload my van, while they were feeding me in the kitchen. Got a 300 euro tip out of it, and a cool bag with drinks and sandwiches.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #14203
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's basically unregulated, they can drive as long as they want. That's the whole advantage of these long haul express deliveries.
Not in Germany we can't. (But we do anyway)
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #14204
Road_UK
BANNED

A company in Northampton was sooooo behind the production of fabrics for airbags, they I ended up loading there on a Saturday, delivering in Naples on a Monday, loading in Northampton again on a Wednesday, and deliver Naples on a Friday. And my colleagues did the same on different days, so at least the company in Naples had a (small) supply every day.
For the same company we had one or more vans going to Dachau near Munich nearly every day...
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #14205
bogdymol
bogdymod

How are the contracts signed for your transports? I believe that it doesn't happen for a company to call and say "we need to transport this in one month", but more "we need to transport this right now"... so you don't always know where you will be in the next few days.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #14206
Road_UK
BANNED

I don't. When there is nothing on I either sit at home here or in the UK, and the moment the phone rings, I am on my way again. Sometimes I get orders on a Friday to load something on a Monday. A lot of times it means leaving on the Sunday night. Or loading on Friday for delivery Monday, I leave on the Sunday as well. When I am in Mayrhofen, it happens that I have to be in France somewhere in the morning, which means leaving on the sunday. Also sometimes I am somewhere in Europe (Spain, Italy) delvering goods on the Friday, with a reload on a Monday. Then I find myself a nice hotel, and go sightseeing or shopping.
Old June 14th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #14207
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

I think vans should be obliged to have tacographs like trucks and mandatory rest time/maximum working hours like trucks...

Then express delivery companies could like have a network of sub-contracted drivers and they would "relay" their cargo when their driving time was up to another driver who could even take a car and drive to a meeting point in a route of the cargo.
Old June 14th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #14208
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2107

I don't know if that would be feasible, but I have to admit that it is quite scary to have van drivers all over Europe with no regulations about rest hours...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #14209
bogdymol
bogdymod

Car drivers can also drive too much without beeing forced to stop for a rest. My cousin told me that he drove Paris-Arad in 12 hours without stopping (just for refueling and toilet)... that's 1700 km or ~140 km/h average speed... I wouldn't do that.
Old June 14th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #14210
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol
Car drivers can also drive too much without beeing forced to stop for a rest. My cousin told me that he drove Paris-Arad in 12 hours without stopping (just for refueling and toilet)... that's 1700 km or ~140 km/h average speed... I wouldn't do that.
In that case the most dangerous thing is the speed, not the fadigue. If he kept that average speed, including stops and slow roads in Romania and Hungary he must have did top speed of 180-200, maybe in German territory.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #14211
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Yes I did that too, 1400 km without stopping, but it's once or twice in a lifetime, not 3 times a week
Old June 14th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #14212
bogdymol
bogdymod

You would be surprised how many people drive with their cars very often on long trips without enough breakes. I've heard many stories about romanians that drove in Europe too much...
Old June 14th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #14213
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza

Yes I did that too, 1400 km without stopping, but it's once or twice in a lifetime, not 3 times a week
And probably with an average speed lower than 140.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #14214
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
You would be surprised how many people drive with their cars very often on long trips without enough breakes. I've heard many stories about romanians that drove in Europe too much...
My concerns are as much for others that might be endangered, as for professional drivers themselves, put at risk by these labor "policies".

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
And probably with an average speed lower than 140.
My car's top speed is 160, there's no way I can mantain an average of 140.
Old June 14th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #14215
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I think vans should be obliged to have tacographs like trucks and mandatory rest time/maximum working hours like trucks...

Then express delivery companies could like have a network of sub-contracted drivers and they would "relay" their cargo when their driving time was up to another driver who could even take a car and drive to a meeting point in a route of the cargo.
Thank you for wanting to kill off my job. There is no way we could that anyway. Our goods often require direct dedicated transportation, and some of it are so valuable that it would be too much of a risk to overload these goods. It would also mean having a lot of drivers on stand-by everywhere and the hassle of finding a forklift.

We do hurl loads from one van into the other at times. If I am in Calais and I am empty, instead of getting on that ferry and get another load in England, someone will load it for me if he has room in the van, I meet him in Calais and off it goes again. But also in Europe. One time I delivered in Madrid, and at the same time a van was loading goods in the UK for Vigo in north western Spain. This driver was particularly tired, as he only just returned from Sweden, so I drove up to Bordeaux, had a good night sleep, until he turned up in the morning, and I went back to Spain after overloading.

When I get tired, I will pull over and sleep, no matter how much I am in a hurry. I may be a little late delivering the goods, but shit happens. It is a lot worse when I am with another van on the same job, and we both sleep a little too long. Me and 3 other vans loaded in Barnsley in northern England for Kolin in the Czech Republic. We went down to Dover together with four vans, and we were discussing the routes. This is before they opened the motorway from Dresden to Prague. One driver wanted to go via Chemnitz and cross the border there, the other driver wanted to go via Frankfurt and Nürnberg, but me and my best friend and colleage decided to go through France. (Calais-Reims-Metz-Saarbrücken-Nürnberg-Plzen) But both me and my friend were really tired, and we ALWAYS have trouble getting passed Reims when we head towards the rest of France and/or Italy. So instead of 2 hours sleep, what we wanted, we ended up doing 6 hours and were still in France when others were approaching the Czech border with Germany.

For a long time, we always had a guaranteed reload in Copenhagen after returning from Sweden. Loads of English and French vans used to load there every day at 5pm, taking mobile phones to London and Paris. Maximum deadline for London was 8am next day, but if you take the Channel Tunnel from Calais, you can do that easily. I always did anyway. Not my best friend. One time I delivered in Madrid, and decided to stay in a hotel just outside Burgos on my way back. Next day at 10am my friend phoned asking me what time he had to be in London, with the goods from Denmark. He never made it any further then Utrecht in Holland. This is where shit starts to fly!

Germans are wanting to put tachographs in all 3.5 ton vans in all of Europe. But when that happens, we will only end up going a bit smaller and drive in Vito's or similar smaller vans like that...
Old June 14th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #14216
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
My concerns are as much for others that might be endangered, as for professional drivers themselves, put at risk by these labor "policies".

I wouldn't have it any other way. When I start flagging, I WILL stop
Old June 14th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #14217
Road_UK
BANNED

Me and my best friend (two vans) staying the night in the middle of a forest in the middle of Sweden after delivery...
Notice the beer cans on the side mirrors...

[IMG][/IMG]
Old June 14th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #14218
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I wouldn't have it any other way. When I start flagging, I WILL stop
Marx would say you have little class consciousness
Old June 14th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #14219
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
I've heard many stories about romanians that drove in Europe too much...
And often crashing the car and killing several people in Hungary or any other part of Europe...
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #14220
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
And often crashing the car and killing several people in Hungary or any other part of Europe...
Unfortunatelly this kind of things happen too often... and not only to Romanian drivers.

If I have to drive a long way I always calculate my route before. The longest 1-day roadtrip I made so far was 1050 km, but we were 2 drivers and it was ok.

I remember that when I came home from my last holiday in September, after driving from Villach (Austria) to Szeged (Hungary) I stopped in a car park and started to do some jogging around the parking lot. I did this because my car doesn't have auto-pilot, so I always have to keep my right foot in the same position, without moving. The other drivers that were there tought that I'm a lounatic

Tags
highways, motorways