daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #14281
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

I fail to see its advantages.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #14282
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

The main advantage is the two-phase cycle, which significantly reduces delays at the intersections. It doesn't work really well with pedestrian and bicycle traffic. There are no separate left-turn lanes necessary anymore.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #14283
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Argentinean pilot goes to the Ligurian seaside by seaplane.
"I wanted to go to the seaside, motorways were packed, so I took my plane and landed on the sea. Why drive if you can fly?"

http://www.corriere.it/cronache/12_g...b914e823.shtml
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #14284
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Argentinean pilot goes to the Ligurian seaside by seaplane.
"I wanted to go to the seaside, motorways were packed, so I took my plane and landed on the sea. Why drive if you can fly?"

http://www.corriere.it/cronache/12_g...b914e823.shtml
What's strange in it to write on a newspaper?
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #14285
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84 View Post
What's strange in it to write on a newspaper?
It's strange because it's something you don't see every day and, despite what one may think, it's legal.

Many people on the shore thought the plane was having a hard time and called coast guard for rescue...
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #14286
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Quote:
It's strange because it's something you don't see every day and, despite what one may think, it's legal.

Many people on the shore thought the plane was having a hard time and called coast guard for rescue...
I even didn't think that somebody could think it's not legal, being seaplanes are used since human being started to fly. In reality, I wonder why with all available sea we have in Italy, the only operative Idroscalo is in lake Como.
Old June 18th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #14287
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84 View Post
I even didn't think that somebody could think it's not legal, being seaplanes are used since human being started to fly.
True, but you should not be allowed to "land" anywhere in the water, like this gentleman did. Apparently, as soon as the seaplane touches the water the law considers it a boat, so as long as it doesn't come closer to the shore than 200m, it's legal. But this law came out in 2010, and that means that it was not so clear before.

Even considering that, it seems very strange to me than one can land a seaplane everywhere he wants.
Old June 18th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #14288
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Quote:
True, but you should not be allowed to "land" anywhere in the water, like this gentleman did. Apparently, as soon as the seaplane touches the water the law considers it a boat, so as long as it doesn't come closer to the shore than 200m, it's legal. But this law came out in 2010, and that means that it was not so clear before.

Even considering that, it seems very strange to me than one can land a seaplane everywhere he wants.
over 200 meter far from the shore, is open sea. I dont see danger to "land" so far....as the article says, in France they are organizated for to "land" with seaplanes.
About that a plane when touches water becomes a boat, I think there's the same problem with amphicars...when they are in water are they still cars or boats?
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #14289
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

OMG!

Don't worry, just practise for emergency services on the closed N259 . Did look freakishly real though
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #14290
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Not without license plates.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #14291
Halfpipesaur
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Likes (Received): 317

Looks like "Alarm fur Cobra 11" chase scene But with less Autobahn.
Halfpipesaur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #14292
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Very curious...

In Spain there is one public TV channel called La 2 which has very specific programs, mainly documents or similar.

One of them, sunday night and several times more while the week is called "Redes para la ciencia" (Networks for science) and made by Mr. Eduard Punset (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduard_Punset) who has worked in several programs, has been Spanish minister and I think there is no Scientific, economic or public relations area he has not work there (first main job was as BBC press corresponden for Economic Affairs at Latin America.... and his university career is lawyer!)

In the program number 70 he interviews Mr. Edmond Fischer, born in 1920 and who got the Medicine Nobel Award in 1992 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmond_H._Fischer)
The title of the program is "The discovery of the vital functions of the cell and cancer growth".

Looking at the interview there is one phrase said by Mr. Fischer about traffic lights:

(sorry for translation... I started using google for long texts)

"I agree. Process is very simple. We have discovered that many proteins can exist in two forms, in two stages: firstly, the inactive, and can then pass to the active state by the addition of phosphate groups.
The reaction is called phosphorylation reaction. And the best analogy I can think of (although it is terribly simplified) is that of a traffic light at an intersection.
The light is there, and basically can exist in two forms: green, which means that the road is open and the car can move, or red, when traffic is stopped, any car can go, everyone stops ... except in Italy!"

And this relation between proteins and traffic lights, and the Italian comment is not mine, is a Nobel Award one. (what did they do at Italy for making that comment)

About the program in fact, there are too many interesting topics about "networks for science". It is in Spanish but sometimes you can find at least the interview also in English. Almost all interview are in English and later translated (Mr. Punset translates himself... let's remember he started working for BBC).
And with an on-line translator it could be quick.

Should any forumer is interested in this topic, he can send me a PM.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:18 AM   #14293
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
3) The ThrU-Turn
http://thruturnintersections.org/

Nothing particularly innovative in Europe, since many roundabouts are used as loops to avoid building complete free-flow interchanges.
And that, I have to say, is something I consider an extremely poor design solution, mainly because roundabouts need space and almost no one knows how to properly turn inside them.

So, opinions?

Interesting... but take a look to this one. I took as a random track, knowing it is forbidden there to turn left and google has that updated!!!!!

https://maps.google.es/maps?saddr=fe...=h&mra=ls&z=16

You have to turn right in the previous block, later left in a one way street, continuin ahead in a narrow street, traffic light and turning left for going ahead again.

Two years ago there where some drivers who turned left in the main avenue (Fernando el catolico) for saving time and they got fines.

Today nobody do it... It is not updated in street view but the avenue has changed with a tramway. Left lane tramway, right one for cars and buses, so all left turns are forbidden.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #14294
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
"I agree. Process is very simple. We have discovered that many proteins can exist in two forms, in two stages: firstly, the inactive, and can then pass to the active state by the addition of phosphate groups.
The reaction is called phosphorylation reaction. And the best analogy I can think of (although it is terribly simplified) is that of a traffic light at an intersection.
The light is there, and basically can exist in two forms: green, which means that the road is open and the car can move, or red, when traffic is stopped, any car can go, everyone stops ... except in Italy!"
Like many geniuses, he knows everything in his field of expertise but knows very little in many others...
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #14295
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Interesting... but take a look to this one. I took as a random track, knowing it is forbidden there to turn left and google has that updated!!!!!

https://maps.google.es/maps?saddr=fe...=h&mra=ls&z=16
That is half true. This route is forbidden .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #14296
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Yesterday, a bear went for a walk around old town in Prešov, Eastern Slovakia.

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #14297
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
You have to turn right in the previous block, later left in a one way street, continuin ahead in a narrow street, traffic light and turning left for going ahead again.
That's a little bit different kind of solution, described in another of those sites (I don't remember which one).

Not so uncommon in Europe, there is specific signage in most road laws. Another way to do it is creating a loop using minor roads: in this way you perform 3 right turns and then you cross the main road.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #14298
bogdymol
bogdymod

Does this employee scheme apply to your country?

In Romania much of the minor works and repairs on the city-streets are done like this (like filling up potholes, replacing a damaged water/gas pipe etc.). Fortunatelly on major projects (like a new motorway for example) they are all working.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #14299
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Yesterday, a bear went for a walk around old town in Prešov, Eastern Slovakia.

Are there bears in Slovenia?

I'm all in favor of hunting large menacing animals...
Old June 20th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #14300
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Are there bears in Slovenia?

I'm all in favor of hunting large menacing animals...
Large menacing animals?
Are you serious?
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways