daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:21 PM   #14361
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Yes, but on the Pennsylvania Turnpike (or most American toll roads) you can buy gas before or after resting. Stupidity, I can't help you with.

(Sam: Hey, hey, you're drunk!
(Diane: Hey, hey, you're stupid. I'll be sober in the morning.)
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:24 PM   #14362
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Yes, but on the Pennsylvania Turnpike (or most American toll roads) you can buy gas before or after resting. Stupidity, I can't help you with.

(Sam: Hey, hey, you're drunk!
(Diane: Hey, hey, you're stupid. I'll be sober in the morning.)

I really never thought the relative positions of gas stations and rest areas could be so important. Is that really so annoying to fill the car after you rest? Why?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:28 PM   #14363
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Don't ask me! I'm just observing, slightly bemusedly, this before-vs.-after debate and pointing out that it doesn't need to be an issue.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:31 PM   #14364
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I wasn't asking you
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:36 PM   #14365
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

:-P
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:50 PM   #14366
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by geor View Post
To be honest, I can't decide which one is more stupid: the girl that doesn't know how to fill gas, the girl that's totally overreacting, the guy behind that blows horn all the time, or someone who brakes too hard.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:16 PM   #14367
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Yes, I'm sure it's staged.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:28 PM   #14368
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Most rest areas with stores/restaurants/gas satations of Netherlands are rather mediocre, even the newer ones. Usually they have nothing much more than a regular oversized city gas station....

Italy has, on average, nice restaurants, though some un-modernized areas are really in bad state/shape.

Now in regard of bathrooms: I find an enormous difference in cleaning standards depending on whether the bathroom is reached from within the restaurant or from outside.

Spanish bathrooms are terrible for most of it. Somehow they are usually trashed and we often see people washing their heads or else on the sinks. Disgusting.

Now, the worst thing can happen is to go to a rest stop when you see couple Eurolines or similar long-distance buses parked there. Their passengers will usually trash the bathrooms, shave or what else in the sinks, and also clog the lines at the cashier.

Finally, something in Italy that annoys me big time: there, you usually have to pay for snacks or other prepared items before having them give you. And often there isn't a line, but a sort of "shout your ticket" situation...
Old June 23rd, 2012, 01:32 AM   #14369
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Now, the worst thing can happen is to go to a rest stop when you see couple Eurolines or similar long-distance buses parked there. Their passengers will usually trash the bathrooms, shave or what else in the sinks, and also clog the lines at the cashier.
Usually the rudest users of rest areas are truckers. They stop in their reserved parking lots located in an out of sight place behind the restaurant\shop (cars usually park in front of it) and often spend the night there. Many of them think that space is their and do everything around instead to use the toilet and leave trash around even if there is a trashcan every two meters.
Usually tourists (by car or bus) are more polite and use toilettes.

Quote:
Finally, something in Italy that annoys me big time: there, you usually have to pay for snacks or other prepared items before having them give you. And often there isn't a line, but a sort of "shout your ticket" situation...
It's the same in many bars and most of fast foods. Do you know another method to prevent dine and dash? I don't see very annoying paying before, you must do the queue at the drawer anyway, first or later...

About the "problem" of gas station after the restaurant (IMHO it's better to place toilettes at the beginning) they could create an additional lane that allow you to return back from the gas station to the restaurant.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 10:06 AM   #14370
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Usually the rudest users of rest areas are truckers. They stop in their reserved parking lots located in an out of sight place behind the restaurant\shop (cars usually park in front of it) and often spend the night there. Many of them think that space is their and do everything around instead to use the toilet and leave trash around even if there is a trashcan every two meters.
Agreed.

Truckers somethings go to rest stop bathrooms and do nasty things like showering their feet or arms in the sink. Disgusting.

Quote:
It's the same in many bars and most of fast foods. Do you know another method to prevent dine and dash? I don't see very annoying paying before, you must do the queue at the drawer anyway, first or later...
I prefer the system commonly used in France where you take a tray, order/grab whatever you want, then move on to the cashier where you pay before eating.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 11:59 AM   #14371
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist

Agreed.

Truckers somethings go to rest stop bathrooms and do nasty things like showering their feet or arms in the sink. Disgusting.
In many autogrills there are 24-7 showers, so I don't see the point in using the sink.

Anyway, those bad habit aren't thypical Italian only. A friend of mine who lives in California said that many truckers fill plastic bottles with that yellow liquid (or plastic bags with something solid) and throw them out of the window.

In Italy it's bad on weekends when there is the truck block and trucker have to spend two nights parked, sometimes inside the motorway, something outside.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 12:04 PM   #14372
Suburbanist
on the road

Why can't truckers upgrade their behavior to 21st Century standards, like sleeping in cheap hotels where they can get proper facilities?
Old June 23rd, 2012, 12:11 PM   #14373
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Why can't truckers upgrade their behavior to 21st Century standards, like sleeping in cheap hotels where they can get proper facilities?
Because cheap hotels in Italy do not exist, and employers often won't pay.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 12:18 PM   #14374
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

In case you didn't know, trucks usually have one and often two beds to sleep in. Why pay € 50 per night when you can spend none? Besides, virtually no hotels have (secure) parking for trucks.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 12:19 PM   #14375
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist
IMHO there is nothing bad if they sleep in their trucks, but using toilets properly and not messing around.

A question: has anyone entered a motorway rest area by foot from the back street, where only those who work there are supposed to enter?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 12:35 PM   #14376
geor

Likes (Received): 16

To sleep or not to sleep, that is the question?

At least seven Czech tourists were killed and 44 injured in a bus crash on a major motorway in Croatia early Saturday, police said.

The accident happened at around 4 a.m. some 212 kilometers south of Zagreb, on the motorway connecting the Croatian capital with the central Adriatic coastal city of Split.

Croatia's state TV said the bus crashed through the metal barriers in the middle of the motorway and overturned in the opposite lane near a tunnel.

The TV quoted eyewitnesses saying that the bus started "swaying" on the motorway moments before it crashed through the barriers.

The cause of the accident was drowsy driving.

http://www.index.hr/vijesti/clanak/u...te/622056.aspx

http://www.vecernji.hr/vijesti/u-pre...-clanak-423455

Last edited by geor; June 23rd, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
geor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 01:20 PM   #14377
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2281

RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 01:33 PM   #14378
geor

Likes (Received): 16

This must be in Russia or Ukraine. Regular situation. Nothing strange......
geor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 01:39 PM   #14379
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Why should they? They drive in complete sitting rooms, equipped with tv, fridge, bed...
The only thing that is missing is a toilet and shower, but you can get these inside the services...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:04 PM   #14380
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by geor View Post
This must be in Russia or Ukraine. Regular situation. Nothing strange......
Yeah, 3 casualties, nothing special
Someone translated that the truck driver that slammed into everyone said over the radio that his brakes failed and that the other truckers had to get out of the way asap.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways