daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:31 PM   #14381
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Why should they? They drive in complete sitting rooms, equipped with tv, fridge, bed...
The only thing that is missing is a toilet and shower, but you can get these inside the services...
Maybe that can be a solution.

But hence the question: freight is so expensive already, would extra €50/night be so much of a difference if every truck company was obliged to pay its truckers for it?

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:41 PM   #14382
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

It is not really how international transportation works. There wouldn't be enough room anyway. Parking alone would be a problem... And when the time on the tacho runs out, they have to find a place to park and stop. You can't expect drivers to find a room first as well, they need to rest!
I am on the road full time for a living, and I rely on services. And most truck drivers don't bother me, because I think they are necessary. And people who go on holiday maybe once a year, and they fly off the handle because of trucks and truckers need to get a life. Because once their holidays in the south of France are over, they drive back, they hide in their suburbs, and at the most see a truck delivering in their neighbourhood.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:46 PM   #14383
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist

Maybe that can be a solution.

But hence the question: freight is so expensive already, would extra €50/night be so much of a difference if every truck company was obliged to pay its truckers for it?
What's the point of that? Some families go to holiday by caravan or camper and sleep in 6 in a so small place. Is a big deal for a trucker sleeping alone in his truck?
I only said that usually truckers are ruder than tourists, maybe because they are all adult males and are used to live on the road with few commodities.
Paying hotel rooms for truckers would made everything they carry more expensive to customers.
Rest areas should be more surveilled and people who mess around fined, it would help also agaist thefts in parked vehicles.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:48 PM   #14384
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
What's the point of that? Some families go to holiday by caravan or camper and sleep in 6 in a so small place. Is a big deal for a trucker sleeping alone in his truck?
I only said that usually truckers are ruder than tourists, maybe because they are all adult males and are used to live on the road with few commodities.
Paying hotel rooms for truckers would made everything they carry more expensive to customers.
Rest areas should be more surveilled and people who mess around fined, it would help also agaist thefts in parked vehicles.
I agree with you.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:50 PM   #14385
Road_UK
BANNED

Apart from truckers being ruder then tourists. Have you ever met the Dutch abroad?
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:56 PM   #14386
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK
Apart from truckers being ruder then tourists. Have you ever met the Dutch abroad?
No, I never meet personally any Dutch, apart a girl but she lives in Italy for many years.
What are the stereothypes about their behavior?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:03 PM   #14387
Road_UK
BANNED

They are loud, and like to show off that they are Dutch. They spit on their own country when they are at home, but when they cross the border, they suddenly get very patriotic. I am partly Dutch, but am very ashamed of the people that come here in Mayrhofen. Standing on the ski-slopes you can always pick out the Dutch. "Joop. Joooooooop. Joooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop...!!!!!!!!!!"
Also they bring their own food, so the resorts are not making much money on them. Keine gute gäste, diese Holländer is a well known phrase here. Also they have a screw lose when they start driving abroad. They are like from a different planet.

Not a very nice crowd when they're abroad...
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:10 PM   #14388
italystf

Quote:
They are loud, and like to show off that they are Dutch. They spit on their own country when they are at home, but when they cross the border, they suddenly get very patriotic. I am partly Dutch, but am very ashamed of the people that come here in Mayrhofen. Standing on the ski-slopes you can always pick out the Dutch. "Joop. Joooooooop. Joooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop...!!!!!!!!!!"

Not a very nice crowd when they're abroad...
In Italian seaside towns it's not unusual to see crowds of Germans and Austrian (and probably other nationalities, maybe also Dutch) behaving like wild beasts after too much beer and vodka. And they are probably the same people that in their countries say that Italians cannot obey rules.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:18 PM   #14389
Road_UK
BANNED

That's right. Tourist intend to have a screw lose in general. A lot of them appear to be leaving their brains at home. Others will simply not adjust.
But the Dutch are amongst the loudest in Europe. I love seeing my family in Holland, but I don't really need them here (apart from my 86 year old grandma). My uncle and aunt come here sometimes, and we go in the mountains, and they will never enjoy a nice cold beer in a mountain hut, or try a local Tiroler specialty. They will, however, use their facilities to sit down, and drink their by the sun boiled apple juices, and eat what used to be bread and cheese, and will talk to you as if you`re deaf! They love the mountains, but are afraid of heights, and when the path goes a little steep, then every local has learned a few new Dutch words. When they DO order a coffee (hmm coffee at home tastes much better) then they will never tip the waiter, because that is ridiculous.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:27 PM   #14390
italystf

Quote:
(hmm coffee at home tastes much better)
For your pocket sure tastes better

I though that Italian, Spaniards and Eastern Europeans were the noisiest, especially when they are in a group of young together.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:32 PM   #14391
Road_UK
BANNED

You know, when people are young and drunk, no matter what nationality, they will always be noisy. (Brits and Dutch a bit more then others) But I am talking about normal Dutch families with kids...
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:37 PM   #14392
italystf

Quote:
You know, when people are young and drunk, no matter what nationality, they will always be noisy. (Brits and Dutch a bit more then others) But I am talking about normal Dutch families with kids...
In case of families with children, Italians usually give a good impression. Maybe because we think that appareances are important and we like to do a "bella figura". D
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:40 PM   #14393
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

I agree, when I'm walking in public on the street and I'm with someone I always think "dammit I'm not deaf". The Dutch have a tendency to talk very loud indeed.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:54 PM   #14394
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

As for Italians it depends also on the region they're from. Tuscans, Neapolitans and Romans tend to be louder than people from other regions.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:01 PM   #14395
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9122

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I though that Italian, Spaniards and Eastern Europeans were the noisiest, especially when they are in a group of young together.
I don't know what do you mean about "Eastern Europeans" (such naming in relation to Central Europe makes me pissed off), but I see that Poles, Czechs, Slovaks and Hungarians are much more quiet than Russians and Ukrainians. Some difference between us...

Of course, if someone's mind depends on poor and cheap workers from village, situation changes.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:16 PM   #14396
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajKeR_ View Post
I don't know what do you mean about "Eastern Europeans" .
Pre-1989 division, we used to say Eastern Europe for the Warsaw Pact's countries. Such expression is still largely used today.
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:24 PM   #14397
Angelos

Likes (Received): 448

according to my experience, Greeks, Italians and Spanish are the loudest. Mediterenean spirit all the way
Angelos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:25 PM   #14398
Road_UK
BANNED

Sorry but polish lorry drivers are loud and a lot of them are pigs. And my polish friend confirmed this. You seem to get very upset when someone mentions eastern Europeans or if someone criticises your country, but the fact of the matter is that you are eastern European, and they are still lacking behind on the west when it comes to value and wealth. It's not a bad thing, but we were inaccessible from each other for a long time.
Old June 24th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #14399
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Sorry but polish lorry drivers are loud and a lot of them are pigs. And my polish friend confirmed this. You seem to get very upset when someone mentions eastern Europeans or if someone criticises your country, but the fact of the matter is that you are eastern European, and they are still lacking behind on the west when it comes to value and wealth. It's not a bad thing, but we were inaccessible from each other for a long time.
Unfortunately, much has changed in Poland in the last 2 decades. Until nineties an international lorry was really respectful and quite prestigious profession to be. Only those who passed 5 year vocational college and were able to speak 2 foreign languages could become a TIR driver. Since then, every moron could get the licence and drive heavy stuff around the world.

If it comes to loudness and piggy-ness I'd rather not distinguish loud and pig-like drivers depending on their nationality, not because I am Eastern European, but because I live long enough to know that one swine does not make all nation pig-shed.
Old June 24th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #14400
Road_UK
BANNED

You've got a good point there. It's just that whenever I'm trying to get some sleep on the ferry, its nearly always Polish lorry drivers that keep me awake. They also take more food from the buffet then they should. God bless you for saying you're eastern European...

Tags
highways, motorways