daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #14421
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
**Is eating while driving - something like a burger or a sandwich that you can keep on the passenger seat and manage with one hand - something a European would never dream of doing?
I do that all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
Which makes me think about this - campers/motorhomes and caravans have since ages these compact facilities in them with chemical WC and shower... why truck manufacturers don't use this technology too. Maybe truck cabins would have to be built some 0,5-1 meters longer to have the space, but this is not such a difficulty.
Unlike the United States, the truck length limits apply to the entire combination, not just the trailer. More cab = less trailer. That's why American trucks are much more luxury than European trucks.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #14422
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I was told by French police one should not eat while driving
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #14423
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
To be honest, I can't remember the last time I filled gas and made a break at the same time.
I do that everytime on whole day motorway trip - like going to skiing vacation. Usually this happens in Italy (in my case) and I often break rules because I fill tank first and then I go into restaurant to pick some food or drink. In this case I drive backwards, because there usually isn't any parking space after gas station in Italy. Others in my company do a toilet or go to coffee/cigarette/whatever when I'm filling up.

I already got used that, but it still annoys me from time to time, because some rest area layouts in Italy are really strange.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #14424
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
**Is eating while driving - something like a burger or a sandwich that you can keep on the passenger seat and manage with one hand - something a European would never dream of doing?
No, it happens and whilst the act isn't illegal, the police in the UK could pull you for careless driving if they think you're not in full control of the vehicle.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...ing-phone.html
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #14425
bogdymol
bogdymod

I always eat or drink while driving on longtrips. Usually, the right seat passengers unwraps the sandwich for me and opens the bottle of water/juice for me to drink.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #14426
hofburg
middle lane hogger

when has your girlfriend time for doing that while taking all those photos.
Old June 24th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #14427
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
when has your girlfriend time for doing that while taking all those photos.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #14428
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Being bogdymol's girlfriend must be a pain in the ass.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #14429
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
But there is one specific thing I hate in Mediterranean peoples (Italy and Spain at their best): the absolute lack of knowledge of this people's own position in the world. Not in a geographical reference meaning, but as the people move around without caring of what's around.
People walking in a crowded street and suddenly stopping in the middle of it to take a look at the phone. People gathering for a chat blocking an aisle or a tight passage. People walking on bike lanes even if the proper space is one meter away. Groups who tend to occupy all available space, whatever the place or why they're standing there.
+1
Amen to that.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #14430
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9108

Road_UK - have you ever known some Pole who wasn't a lorry/truck driver?

Wilhem, nice set I've been to Italy several times during last years and I may prove what you've written. Anyway, no shame for Italians, because your country got me by many different things.

I'm glad that in Poland staying in the middle of sidewalk just for talking, when somebody can't go isn't very popular - maybe because he/she may be suddenly instructed that it wasn't a good idea by someone's motion. Quite rude, by efficiently.

Pole in general makes me angry abroad, from time to time also on the street.

Its keeping left lane, when right is empty. Fortunately, becoming less popular.

Its hick talking on the street - when quite much people can understand Polish. Its hurting English, like it wasn't possible to learn it decently.

Hick look. Putting socks, when he wears sandals.

Very rare, but existing: feeling as "lord of the world", because he earned for BMW X5 and have enough money for gasoline to France and staying at hotel there.

But every Pole have inside himself some amount of shame, so no one may be nude on the beach - which is very popular between Germans. And everybody has a discipline, but sometimes it's shown quite late.

Maybe I'm supersensitive about my nation abroad, but once somebody filled my head with those complexes. Maybe that old guy at petrol station in Austria, who showed me how to use the tap with sensor of hands.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #14431
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajKeR_ View Post
Road_UK - have you ever known some Pole who wasn't a lorry/truck driver?
Sure, why?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #14432
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9108

Because usually you mean exactly them, I see.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #14433
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:

*By the way, was all that talk about "resting" actually referring to taking a nap, or at least taking a break? "Resting" doesn't really work for, well, using the bathroom or buying something to eat.
Don't you take a break in order to rest? . I guess you have a rest from driving while eating or visiting a bathroom at the rest area??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Sorry but polish lorry drivers are loud and a lot of them are pigs. And my polish friend confirmed this. You seem to get very upset when someone mentions eastern Europeans or if someone criticises your country, but the fact of the matter is that you are eastern European, and they are still lacking behind on the west when it comes to value and wealth. It's not a bad thing, but we were inaccessible from each other for a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Poland is central European.
Heck, even the western half of Romania is geographically in Central Europe.

When I was a small boy I did not like the Eastern Europe locating and preferred the Central Europe. Now I just think it is all one big bullshit that is not really important for anything. Its pointless to have a argument about this (Eastern - Central - Western E. and similar things) as it doesnt really matter. The only thing that matter are real life facts, facts concernig relations between nations, quality of life, satisfaction with life and personal experiences. It is not improving your well being to argue with someone about meaningless names. Furthermore, if someone tries to put himself above you, prove him wrong, kick him in the ass or dont pay attantion to him and work on your well being and well being of your community or even a nation if that is important to you.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #14434
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
campers/motorhomes and caravans have since ages these compact facilities in them with chemical WC and shower... why truck manufacturers don't use this technology too.
The WC itself does not take too much space; but hygiene would not be great, think about the smell in a place where you have to live in and drive

Also, those chemical WCs need to be emptied from time to time; you may have a box with wheels to bring it with you at the restroom (a system used on caravans) or a tank integrated with the vehicle, which requires you to find a proper disposal facility (used on motorhomes).

I have a motorhome, and even if I have a properly working WC and shower inside (150 l of clean hot water), experience tells me that they must be used only if really no other options are available. Bringing around 150/200 kg of useless weight should be avoided if possible, and loading/unloading is a time-consuming activity.
Usually I stop at campsites at least once every two nights, mainly because you need a real shower from time to time

These kind of facilities are fitted into RVs only to extend their range of use to those isolated and very indipendent parking situations. Trucks usually follow civilized routes

Quote:
I tried it once, when I had an automatic gearbox. I was driving on my beloved motorway and I was eating a lot of my beloved Genoa's focaccia and drinking a cold soda.
After 5 kilometers of it I was about either to crash or barf and I actually was enjoing neither of the two activities...

Nah, I consider it a form of distracted driving... the wheel must be held with two hands at all times.

My best experience with eat and drive involved that focaccia, my Alfa Giulietta, and a bunch of narrow mountain roads in Genoa's outskirts, in autumn.
After the random and pleasant driving took me to a place in the woods, in the middle of nowhere, I stopped and enjoyed nature colors and sounds while sitting in the Giulietta's boot and eating my focaccia.

I miss that car, I had so much fun...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #14435
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Nah, I consider it a form of distracted driving... the wheel must be held with two hands at all times.
Mmmm, I actually barely drive with two hands on the wheel, especially not at cruising speed.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #14436
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Try eating-while-driving on a straighter motorway next time.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #14437
hofburg
middle lane hogger

what happened to Alfa Giulietta?
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #14438
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

The Passat my father ordered months before arrived at last, and the Giulietta lease came to an end, taking the joy of driving with her...

The Passat is not a bad car, it's just like the standard VW: an average product. Nothing really wrong and nothing really great. Totally neutral.
Probably interesting for anyone who chooses and uses the car as a dishwasher. Pretty boring for a petrolhead, not a single drop of driving pleasure.

I don't blame German cars in general, but I really don't like VAG cars. I had Audis for years and now I know why they're considered the queens of understeering... 250 HP and feeling as I'm driving my sofa, c'mon!
Totally missing the link between the driver and the road. And many people think that missing this link means they're good to drive

The Giulietta have some details which may be better designed, but the average quality is decent, way better than old Alfas. It has a good reliability, and this may surprise some people.
I miss it because it was an overall comfortable car with the ability to make the driver feel every detail of its movements, even at very low speeds and quite paces. Not really stiff or crumpled but still a sports car.

May not have the fine -useless- details and LEDs of the Audis, but what the hell, I had way more fun with its FWD 105 HP diesel engine than with the AWD 250 V6 I had before, and I'm not exaggerating.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #14439
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Meanwhile in Italy

Meanwhile in Belgium
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #14440
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:

I never drive with two hands. How the hell can I drive with two hands, when I got my phone in one hand, a hamburger in the other, a newspaper on my lap and a bottle of coke between my legs...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways