daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #14441
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #14442
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I never drive with two hands. How the hell can I drive with two hands, when I got my phone in one hand, a hamburger in the other, a newspaper on my lap and a bottle of coke between my legs...
A common amateur mistake. The newspaper must be held with your elbows against the wheel; the lap is reserved for the ***** sitting there

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #14443
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I do that all the time....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
I was told by French police one should not eat while driving
See, I read a book a few years ago (The Fat Fallacy).... One of these you-can-eat-like-the-French-do-and-not-gain-weight books, by an American who'd spent a couple of years in Lyon, eaten what he wanted, never gone to a gym, lost weight, had his cholesterol go off the good end of the charts, yadda yadda. Part of his thing is taking your time eating (so the I'm-full signal reaches your brain on time).... He claims, and I quote, "there are no cup-holders in French cars." The French always sit down to eat and spend two hours on every meal, supposedly. Which would be nice, but one doesn't always have the time.

Last edited by Penn's Woods; June 25th, 2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Grammar! (went vs. gone)
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #14444
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #14445
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
See, I read a book a few years ago (The Fat Fallacy).... One of these you-can-eat-like-the-French-do-and-not-gain-weight books, by an American who'd spent a couple of years in Lyon, ate what he wanted, never went to a gym, lost weight, had his cholesterol go off the good end of the charts, yadda yadda. Part of his thing is taking your time eating (so the I'm-full signal reaches your brain on time).... He claims, and I quote, "there are no cup-holders in French cars." The French always sit down to eat and spend two hours on every meal, supposedly. Which would be nice, but one doesn't always have the time.
Hmmm. I love French road snacks, and I eat them behind the wheel, like any Frenchmen. I got told off by a UK copper once for eating a blueberry muffin behind the wheel. And he started this using both hands at he wheel bullshit on me... But as far as I am aware, there is no law against only using one hand. And if there was, I wouldn't obey anyway...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #14446
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Don't you take a break in order to rest? . I guess you have a rest from driving while eating or visiting a bathroom at the rest area??....
I keep seeing people talking about resting and then buying gas (or vice versa), and - as a native speaker [ahem] - I keep imagining them actually taking a nap (a brief sleep) in the back seat or something. For relaxing without sleeping - not just stopping to go to the bathroom but then sitting down, even for five minutes, and doing nothing - I'd say "take a break," but "rest" would work too. Stopping just to buy food or use the bathroom, then getting right back on the road, is not resting.
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #14447
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
See, I read a book a few years ago (The Fat Fallacy).... One of these you-can-eat-like-the-French-do-and-not-gain-weight books, by an American who'd spent a couple of years in Lyon, ate what he wanted, never went to a gym, lost weight, had his cholesterol go off the good end of the charts, yadda yadda. Part of his thing is taking your time eating (so the I'm-full signal reaches your brain on time).... He claims, and I quote, "there are no cup-holders in French cars." The French always sit down to eat and spend two hours on every meal, supposedly. Which would be nice, but one doesn't always have the time.
That's true. The body needs some time to acknowledge satiety, that's why they always say "stop eating when you're still not full", because satiety neural impulse comes some time after. Eating properly (sat at a table, slowly, ecc) helps to make this neural impluse come at the right time.
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #14448
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Quote:
Part of his thing is taking your time eating (so the I'm-full signal reaches your brain on time).... He claims, and I quote, "there are no cup-holders in French cars." The French always sit down to eat and spend two hours on every meal, supposedly. Which would be nice, but one doesn't always have the time.
Thta's true and it's good they are doing it like this.
We had an Indian guy who works and lives in USA for a while now in Timisoara, actually he was the head of our groups in Conti worldwide, and he was amazed by how the French really take a break at lunch, eat slow, drink a glass of wine. For him, with the American mentality, this was time loss, he usually got something to eat from the cafeteria and ate it at his desk in less then 10 minutes,

Can't say much better about Germans here. Most eat in a hurry, and also eat a lot, portions are big, for me almost to big. And I remember a colleague from Romania who was in Regensburg and a German guy told him that the break is only 45 minutes, he should not spend more, and he was shocked, like "dude let me eat my meal as fast as I want, and relax".
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #14449
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

(Response to G. Spinoza - hadn't read cinxxx yet)

Right. But I take it the idea that a Frenchman would never dream of eating at the wheel is bullshit.

Last edited by Penn's Woods; June 25th, 2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: removing the little arrows.
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #14450
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Thta's true and it's good they are doing it like this.
We had an Indian guy who works and lives in USA for a while now in Timisoara, actually he was the head of our groups in Conti worldwide, and he was amazed by how the French really take a break at lunch, eat slow, drink a glass of wine. For him, with the American mentality, this was time loss, he usually got something to eat from the cafeteria and ate it at his desk in less then 10 minutes,

Can't say much better about Germans here. Most eat in a hurry, and also eat a lot, portions are big, for me almost to big. And I remember a colleague from Romania who was in Regensburg and a German guy told him that the break is only 45 minutes, he should not spend more, and he was shocked, like "dude let me eat my meal as fast as I want, and relax".
I take my time when I'm at home or at work. My mother's often remarked I'm a slow eater.
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #14451
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
(Response to G. Spinoza - hadn't read cinxxx yet)

Right. But I take it the idea that a Frenchman would never dream of eating at the wheel is bullshit.
Probably. But I suspect that the fraction of Frenchmen (or Italians, FWIW) that eat while driving is way lower than that of Americans or Englishmen.
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #14452
hindishayari
God of code

Likes (Received): 0

what kind of technology is that?
hindishayari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #14453
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

For me it's not so comfortable to eat or drink while driving. But I do take small snacks. My "copilot" helps me, if it's a banana, or some chips. And also opens the bottle of water/soda and gives it to me.
If I want to eat properly, I stop, and eat a sandwich or whatever and also make quick break.

I'm a slow eater too, and don't care about what others think.
If they don't want to wait for me they can go.

I hated my previous team leader at lunch.
He ate very fast. And he always talked only about the shit work at lunch.
I was always like "let me enjoy my meal and relax from that shit at least in my break".

Last edited by cinxxx; June 25th, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #14454
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindishayari View Post
what kind of technology is that?
No tech. It's magic.

(???)
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #14455
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I never drive with two hands. How the hell can I drive with two hands, when I got my phone in one hand, a hamburger in the other, a newspaper on my lap and a bottle of coke between my legs...
And laptop for watching movies on the go? It should be included, many truckers do that.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #14456
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
I keep seeing people talking about resting and then buying gas (or vice versa), and - as a native speaker [ahem] - I keep imagining them actually taking a nap (a brief sleep) in the back seat or something. For relaxing without sleeping - not just stopping to go to the bathroom but then sitting down, even for five minutes, and doing nothing - I'd say "take a break," but "rest" would work too. Stopping just to buy food or use the bathroom, then getting right back on the road, is not resting.
Its funny that restroom is euphemism for the room where you take a "rest"... but actually do we take a "rest" there?
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #14457
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Do you take a bath in the bathroom?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #14458
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

If the bathroom has a bathtub, why not?
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #14459
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Do you take a bath in the bathroom?
I take my baths in the bathroom. I guess american would say in the bath. When I have to... I wouldnt use the restroom nor the bathroom but just simply the toilet though some american could think that I am not that polite. Anyway, the original in French is already euphemism of its own. Using the word bathroom for that place is to me not quite that pleasent because I dont like having these two accesories in the same room.

Anyway, the resting feeling comes to me from the fact that when you are driving for hours then buying a sandwich in my eyes is actually having a rest.

Last edited by Surel; June 25th, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #14460
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
I take my baths in the bathroom. I guess american would say in the bath. When I have to... I wouldnt use the restroom nor the bathroom but just simply the toilet though some american could think that I am not that polite. Anyway, the original in French is already euphemism of its own. Using the word bathroom for that place is to me not quite that pleasent because I dont like having these two accesories in the same room.

Anyway, the resting feeling comes to me from the fact that when you are driving for hours then buying a sandwitch in my eyes is actually having a rest.
I wouldn't. To me, it's a bathroom, whether it's the room in your house that has a toilet and a bathtub or the room at a highway rest area (or in a restaurant or whatever) that has one or more toilets. (The toilet is the actual, um, bit of furniture. Using the word "toilet" or "toilets" for the room seems British to me.) To "go to the bathroom" is to, um, use the toilet. Wherever it is. The large basin-type-thing-with-a-drain that you take baths in is a bathtub. "Restroom" seems like an unnecessary euphemism that I never actually use.

In Canada, such rooms are called "washrooms."

Tags
highways, motorways