daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 6th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #14701
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Does anyone around here have a car running on LPG? How is it? Does it worth it? etc...

I'm thinking about converting my dad's car on LPG...
One of my friends owns a LPG-powered Ford Fiesta. Until last year he spent half of what I spend on my diesel Peugeot 207 to fill up. But its range was half of mine, so it was not worth (although I must say my car has a 70 hp engine while his has a 90 hp engine)...

Now that diesel is going up (and LPG less so) it could be more worth.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #14702
bogdymol
bogdymod

It isn't such a big problem with the range. I'll just have to stop more often for refueling... but I still think that I could get a 500 km range just on LPG + about the same on petrol.

My car has a 1.4 L engine with 94 hp.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #14703
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

A downside of LPG cars is that they are not allowed in many underground or even overground multi-story parking garages.
Old July 6th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #14704
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
It isn't such a big problem with the range. I'll just have to stop more often for refueling... but I still think that I could get a 500 km range just on LPG + about the same on petrol.
You want to convert yours? I think the petrol tank on a LPG converted car is very tiny, to be used only as emergency backup
Old July 6th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #14705
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

LPG generally has a higher consumption. My dad drives an early 2000's BMW 5-series on LPG, he gets about 6 km/l or 16.7 L / 100 km. Previously LPG often resulted in less power, however this is not really an issue anymore nowadays.

As are many things in a motorist life, driving LPG in the Netherlands is mainly because of taxes. While LPG is about € 1 cheaper than gasoline, the monthly road tax is higher (often more than € 100 per month) than gasoline, but with the gas price being as high as it is, LPG is an option. LPG was less profitable when the difference with gasoline was less, because of the higher road tax (often at least twice the gasoline car tax).

If you want to drive LPG, you must accept that you have to frequent the gas stations more often. My former boss drove LPG but had to refuel every second day, as his range was just over 300 km.

Also, LPG is not as common in all countries. For instance it's uncommon in countries like Austria, Switzerland, Denmark or Norway. However, LPG cars are able to drive both on gasoline and LPG, in fact they always start the engine with gasoline.

Note that you can't convert diesel cars into LPG.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #14706
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
A downside of LPG cars is that they are not allowed in many underground or even overground multi-story parking garages.
It can also run on petrol, so it's ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
You want to convert yours? I think the petrol tank on a LPG converted car is very tiny, to be used only as emergency backup
I've seen an offer here in Arad and they don't make any changes to the petrol tank, but they add another tank for LPG in the space where the spare wheel is under the trunks carpet.

@Chris: thank you for your ellaborate answer.

I made some calculations and it turns out that in 12 months I would get my money back if I turn the car on LPG.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #14707
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Also, LPG is not as common in all countries. For instance it's uncommon in countries like Austria, Switzerland, Denmark or Norway.
Driving LPG in Finland is pretty expensive. The penalty for a passenger car is 330 EUR per day in minimum.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #14708
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Driving LPG in Finland is pretty expensive. The penalty for a passenger car is 330 EUR per day in minimum.
Penalty? For driving LPG in Finland? Is it forbidden?
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #14709
MattiG

Quote:
Penalty? For driving LPG in Finland? Is it forbidden?
Yes, except for trucks and buses.
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #14710
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Yes, except for trucks and buses.
Safety issues?
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #14711
MattiG

Quote:
Safety issues?
No, taxation.
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #14712
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

What about foreign LPG cars? Are they exempt?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #14713
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle
I hope so, I think that vehicles must be autorized to circulate freely from a country to another because of EU laws.

What about hybrid cars in Finland?
Are there other countries with such crazy laws?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #14714
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 892

What are the benefits of LPG?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #14715
MattiG

Quote:
No they are not. The cash flow protection tax (officially called "fuel payment") is applicable to foreign cars, too. Better to pay at the border customs office in order to avoid surcharges.

The legislation was originally created to prevent people from using heating oil instead of diesel oil by making the penalties absurd. Currently, it is the instrument to introduce a price tag for using other fuels than benzin, diesel oil and CNG.

(This law applies to vehicles having a combustion engine. 100% electric cars etc are subject to other legislation.)
Old July 6th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #14716
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
What about hybrid cars in Finland?
Subject to the normal vehicles taxes.
Old July 6th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #14717
piotr71

Quote:

Note that you can't convert diesel cars into LPG.
You can. Polish 'Elpigaz' is known for such conversions.

I have had or used several LPG converted cars. Apart from mentioned downsides and upsides there is one disadvantage of used cars converted to LPG. They are more prone to failures if not serviced properly, I mean, the LPG system needs additional servicing. LPG powered engine would also benefit with specially tailored oil and spark plugs.

There is one interesting benefit of using LPG car, in particular for those living in London, it is an opportunity to drive within congestion charge zone not paying a penny.
Old July 6th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #14718
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG

Subject to the normal vehicles taxes.
So are there LPG stations in Finland to serve hybrid cars?

How can they enforce the ban of foreign LPG-only cars since there aren't anymore border checks with Sweden and Norway?

Is acceptable within EU laws a restriction towards the circulation of a class of vehicles from other EU members?
I know there is a sort of agreement (Geneva or Vienna convention, I'm not sure) that states that international road traffic must be allowed regardless local laws.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Last edited by italystf; July 6th, 2012 at 10:39 PM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #14719
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Can Finland do this? There must an EU directive, protecting EU citizens against Finnish harshness....
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #14720
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

my next car will be a hybrid, and I will only drive on national roads and vignette-motorways.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways