daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #14781
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Just don't put the streetview guy in cities, but somewhere where its green. Take a look around a town called Workum, and admire the sightings there. That is where my roots are from. Very rural, and it attracts shitloads of Germans every summer. Lots of lakes, canals and green grass to swim, sail and have sex with cows if you're into that. Although Holland technically only resembles two Dutch provinces, internationally its widely used when you mention the entire nation.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #14782
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Road UK arent you a bit exaggerating? I cant believe that Mayrhofen is warmer than Pannonian plain, I check temperature maps quite offten and I know that Alpine valleys arent really the hottest place. You probably check the temperatures on your thermometer placed in the sun.

Hofburg thx, I might use some other roads to get to Vrhnika, then It should be alright. I hope that I will cycle there in a month or so.

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #14783
Road_UK
BANNED

It's the truth. Hot sun and warm mountain winds heat up the place real good. Innsbruck is usually a lot cooler then Mayrhofen, and because of how the mountains are situated, we get the warmest weather patterns. Lots of lakes here too, to swim in.
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #14784
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Usually only children or ignorants use "Holland" when the mean the Netherlands (specifically outside the two Holland provinces). I always have to laugh when I'm on a campsite and overhear some guy with a southern accent telling he's from "Holland".
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #14785
seem
Mornar bez mora

Check this map - http://terkep.idokep.hu/kep.php?kep=hoterkep2&regio=ceu

The only hot place in the Alps would be Bolzano and it is always like that.

Old July 9th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #14786
Road_UK
BANNED

Thank you for calling me and all my friends and family all over Europe ignorant. Please don't tell me you always use the official name of Fryslan, when you are talking about Friesland.
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #14787
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem
Check this map - http://terkep.idokep.hu/kep.php?kep=hoterkep2&regio=ceu

The only hot place in the Alps would be Bolzano and it is always like that.
I know for myself where I live, and what the temperatures are like, thank you. And Bozen is not far from here.
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #14788
seem
Mornar bez mora

I just can't really understand why some alpine valley gets much higher temperatures than rest of Austria?

Old July 9th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #14789
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Thank you for calling me and all my friends and family all over Europe ignorant. Please don't tell me you always use the official name of Fryslan, when you are talking about Friesland.
Fryslân and Friesland means the same, while Holland and the Netherlands do not. It's a historically grown "synonym", even though the majority of the Dutch population does not live in the two Holland provinces. Back in the middle ages "Holland" was by far the most important part of what is current-day Netherlands.

On the other hand the Netherlands is plural, which is also not entirely correct because in Dutch it's singular; Nederland, not Nederlanden. Maybe we should just change the name to Dutchland.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #14790
Road_UK
BANNED

Its the same when people say England, when they mean the entire UK. For me Holland is quicker to type then the Netherlands, as I am not on my computer, but using the Android app right now on my phone.
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #14791
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem
I just can't really understand why some alpine valley gets much higher temperatures than rest of Austria?
It's a combination of height and the wind flow. Warm southern winds, called fohn, means it will never rain, even if they forecast it. And Mayrhofen often has hot sunshine weather, when it could be pissing down in the village just over the road. And even right now clouds are circulating around the area, but we are still sunbaking. Nights are often subjected to heavy thunderstorms. Check www.mayrhofen.at for weather and live webcams, and note its cooler up in the mountains then in the village.
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #14792
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Usually only children or ignorants use "Holland" when the mean the Netherlands (specifically outside the two Holland provinces). I always have to laugh when I'm on a campsite and overhear some guy with a southern accent telling he's from "Holland".
In English, it's fairly widely used, although I for one realize it's incorrect....
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #14793
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Its the same when people say England, when they mean the entire UK....
That, on the other hand, is just wrong!
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #14794
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods

In English, it's fairly widely used, although I for one realize it's incorrect....
In German as well. The French use Pays Bas more frequently then Hollande.
Old July 9th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #14795
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

In Romanian the country name is "Olanda" and not "Ţările de Jos".
Also the people are referred to as "olandezi".
And the language is called "limba olandeză".
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #14796
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

discussion went wrong.

seem, i also have plan to cycle to Adria in August. first plan was going to island Lastovo, but that plan is off because my friends cannot get free days in the same time as I can.

now i have a plan to cycle direction Zagreb - D1 - Karlovac - Duga Resa - D23 - Josipdol - Žuta Lokva - Senj - D8 - Prizna - D106 - Novalja - Pag - Posedarje - D8 - Zadar - Biograd.
D23 is simply amazing, but there are 2 heavy ascents: first Mala Kapela - 11 km for some 450 metres of elevation, second climbing on Vratnik, 7 km for 250 metres.

i will test my skills this weekend, if i succeed to climb on Sljeme mountain over Zagreb (14 km for 800 metres), i am ready for that.
Old July 9th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #14797
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Fryslân and Friesland means the same, while Holland and the Netherlands do not. It's a historically grown "synonym", even though the majority of the Dutch population does not live in the two Holland provinces. Back in the middle ages "Holland" was by far the most important part of what is current-day Netherlands.

On the other hand the Netherlands is plural, which is also not entirely correct because in Dutch it's singular; Nederland, not Nederlanden. Maybe we should just change the name to Dutchland.
There is also the point that the word Fryslân is in different language (Frysk) and not in Dutch as Friesland whereas Holland and Nederland are both from the Dutch language.

Anyway, I would think that most people from outside of the Netherlands are not aware of the difference between Holland and Netherlands. Its just two names for the same country.

E.g. in czech language you can use both names for The Netherlands: Nizozemí and Holandsko (meaning Nederland (lowlands) and Holland). Only few people are aware of the provinces with name Holland and the fact that the name is in fact used only for part of the country.

In Russian you can also use Голандия and Нидерланды as synonyms. The same goes about english and many other languages. I think the only ones that perhaps would use the "proper" names would be Germans and Belgians.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #14798
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Quote:
In German as well. The French use Pays Bas more frequently then Hollande.
Pays Bas = Low Countries = literal translation of Neder-lands.

There are similar denominations like in Italian (Paesi Bassi) or Portuguese (Países Baixos).
Old July 9th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #14799
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
There is also the point that the word Fryslân is in different language (Frysk) and not in Dutch as Friesland whereas Holland and Nederland are both from the Dutch language.

Anyway, I would think that most people from outside of the Netherlands are not aware of the difference between Holland and Netherlands. Its just two names for the same country.

E.g. in czech language you can use both names for The Netherlands: Nizozemí and Holandsko (meaning Nederland (lowlands) and Holland). Only few people are aware of the provinces with name Holland and the fact that the name is in fact used only for part of the country.

In Russian you can also use Голандия and Нидерланды as synonyms. The same goes about english and many other languages. I think the only ones that perhaps would use the "proper" names would be Germans and Belgians.
They have abolished "Friesland" from the Dutch language now. Officially it's Fryslan in both languages. Holland is more commonly used in German then "die Niederlande".
Old July 9th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #14800
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
discussion went wrong.

seem, i also have plan to cycle to Adria in August. first plan was going to island Lastovo, but that plan is off because my friends cannot get free days in the same time as I can.

now i have a plan to cycle direction Zagreb - D1 - Karlovac - Duga Resa - D23 - Josipdol - Žuta Lokva - Senj - D8 - Prizna - D106 - Novalja - Pag - Posedarje - D8 - Zadar - Biograd.
D23 is simply amazing, but there are 2 heavy ascents: first Mala Kapela - 11 km for some 450 metres of elevation, second climbing on Vratnik, 7 km for 250 metres.

i will test my skills this weekend, if i succeed to climb on Sljeme mountain over Zagreb (14 km for 800 metres), i am ready for that.
How about you cycle in Holland instead? Nationwide cycle path network with traffic lights, proper lane markings and safety interests registered in the Highway Code, makes Holland the best country to cycle in, with the exception of Amsterdam where cycle-anarchy rules...

And of course Holland is as flat as a tat.

Tags
highways, motorways