daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #14801
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
How about you cycle in Holland instead? Nationwide cycle path network with traffic lights, proper lane markings and safety interests registered in the Highway Code, makes Holland the best country to cycle in, with the exception of Amsterdam where cycle-anarchy rules...

And of course Holland is as flat as a tat.

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #14802
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Didn't you already say that?

[EDIT: Every time I use the upward-pointing arrows, another post appears in between....]
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #14803
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Didn't you already say that?

[EDIT: Every time I use the upward-pointing arrows, another post appears in between....]
I wanted to reply to you on the license plate thread, but I can't find it anywhere...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #14804
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...83448&page=130

Give it your best shot. :-)

Old July 9th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #14805
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

In Denmark:
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #14806
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5859

Quote:
It's the truth. Hot sun and warm mountain winds heat up the place real good. Innsbruck is usually a lot cooler then Mayrhofen, and because of how the mountains are situated, we get the warmest weather patterns. Lots of lakes here too, to swim in.
Any cows?
Old July 9th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #14807
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
They have abolished "Friesland" from the Dutch language now. Officially it's Fryslan in both languages. Holland is more commonly used in German then "die Niederlande".
They may have abolished that in Noordwijk, but my Dutch friends use it quite regularly. And they are born and proud Fries.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #14808
Road_UK
BANNED

Of course. There is no law against saying or writing Friesland, but officially and in writing it is Fryslan now. What's in Noordwijk?
Old July 9th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #14809
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Meanwhile in Germany....

http://www.lalibre.be/societe/insoli...ux-hommes.html

Sorry, the article's in French. The gist of it is the mayor of this town has decided to reserve for men (some of?) the least convenient parking places in the public garage, and reserve for women the best. "Men will be grateful for the challenge," he says.
Old July 9th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #14810
kreden

Likes (Received): 589

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Road UK arent you a bit exaggerating? I cant believe that Mayrhofen is warmer than Pannonian plain, I check temperature maps quite offten and I know that Alpine valleys arent really the hottest place. You probably check the temperatures on your thermometer placed in the sun.

Hofburg thx, I might use some other roads to get to Vrhnika, then It should be alright. I hope that I will cycle there in a month or so.
Lj - Vrhnika there is a cycle lane next to the road. Vrhnika - Logatec there is an alternative to the main road, but I do not know anything about it.
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #14811
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Of course. There is no law against saying or writing Friesland, but officially and in writing it is Fryslan now. What's in Noordwijk?
Some say that the best Dutch around.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #14812
Road_UK
BANNED

Oh. Anyway, Friesland is not Dutch anymore. But you can still say or write it, I still do. I don't care..
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #14813
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

I will probably have to relocate to Turin in a couple of months. A job interview gone surprisingly well

Last edited by g.spinoza; July 10th, 2012 at 08:54 AM.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #14814
Road_UK
BANNED

Well done. I am in Turin a lot...
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #14815
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

It's still in a hush-hush stage, so let's not speak too loud
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #14816
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Greetings from Moena, on Trentino's mountains.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #14817
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Can you just move to another city like that? In the Netherlands the waiting lists for rental apartments are huge, usually at least a year for the most rundown apartments and 2 - 4 years for the more acceptable apartments. Usually when people change jobs here they buy another house (but they must sell their own) or they just temporarily commute all the way.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #14818
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle
Can you just move to another city like that? In the Netherlands the waiting lists for rental apartments are huge, usually at least a year for the most rundown apartments and 2 - 4 years for the more acceptable apartments. Usually when people change jobs here they buy another house (but they must sell their own) or they just temporarily commute all the way.
In Italian cities there are many empty apartments rented usually by students with yearly contracts.
Commuting BS - TO is extremely long, even if you can avoid Milan with A21 through Piacenza.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #14819
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
You're kidding!
Old July 9th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #14820
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Greetings from Moena, on Trentino's mountains.
Next week I will be in Canazei

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I heard from a friend of mine who worked in Groningen several years something like that, and I still don't understand. If there is shortage of houses, then build some.

When I moved to Germany I found a house - and began living in it - within a week.

Tags
highways, motorways