daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #15101
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I love McDonald's. But I like variety. At some Autogrills they have a fastfood counter where they serve slices of pizza and fruit or fries with a softdrink. And in the evenings when I'm in Italy I usually have a 3 course meal and wine anyway if I am stopping the night in my van. Or I am in a town somewhere, arriving at my destination the evening before unloading the next morning, and I will call into a restaurant. I had a lovely evening in Florence one evening. Factory was in walking distance from the centre, so I found a lovely restaurant in a narrow street, with tables on the sidewalk, and got talking to a bunch of locals. Deep in the night I stumbled back to my van...

Last edited by Road_UK; July 25th, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #15102
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods

Is it possible today, in Europe, to get a sandwich with more than one filling? Like ham and cheese?

(I'm not saying it is at McDonalds. But European sandwiches can be pretty, um, limited. Although if you've got Subway now, that's better than nothing.)
The UK is the country for that. But also Germany has a large variety of multifilled sandwiches. Downside that in Germany everything has to be healthy these days, so they throw in lots of different types of nuts in their bread. Dentists in Germany must be making shitloads of money. That wouldn't happen in the UK, where teethless is the fashion...
Holland has the broodjes gezond (healthy sandwiches). But the healthy is compensated with loads of mayonaise.
Old July 25th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #15103
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods

Is it possible today, in Europe, to get a sandwich with more than one filling? Like ham and cheese?
Off course you can, in many bars and rest areas. And I think it's much better than Mc.
It's like comparing genuine Italian coffee and Starbuck coffee, genuine Neapolitan pizza and pizza from an American fast food.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #15104
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

One reason I quitted beeing a taxidriver was the perpetual dining out at McDonalds, Burger King and other McJunk-food establishments. Home-cooked meals at fixed times is the best option for staying healthy.

Look at truckdrivers, most of them are tubbies, they don't look healthy because they can not eat properly.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #15105
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
One reason I quitted beeing a taxidriver was the perpetual dining out at McDonalds, Burger King and other McJunk-food establishments. Home-cooked meals at fixed times is the best option for staying healthy.
Couldn't you prepare your own food at home and bring it with you?
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #15106
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Off course you can, in many bars and rest areas. And I think it's much better than Mc.
It's like comparing genuine Italian coffee and Starbuck coffee, genuine Neapolitan pizza and pizza from an American fast food.
I like American pizza - made to order, with the toppings of your choice. From the sort of places in the neighborhood that does it right, not a fast food place. (The one I go to most often, just because it's a two-minute walk from my apartment, is this: http://gusto.thekalon.com/ )

Can't remember the last time I went to McDonald's, actually. If I'm on the road and in the mood for a burger, which is very unusual, I'll look for Burger King. If I had to name a favorite fast-food place, I'd say Arby's. In my part of the country, the Wawa and Sheetz convenience-store chains make decent sandwiches, made to order.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #15107
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
McDonald's in Sweden is the best. Poland and the UK are the worst.
In Poland quality of offer depends on the age of "restaurant". When in my town 13-years old McDonald's is quite poor and crowded, and in neighboring city - Bytom - older one at old center is really shitty (more crowded and even dirty), ~20 km from my home, in Lubliniec (24k hab. town) there's very decent one, spacy and - what's most important - with McCafe, which serves really good hot drinks. I realized that the same happens wherever in this country.

But McDonald's prices reject me from that "restaurant" - they grew up and are too high as for generally cheap Poland. 3,50 PLN (almost 1 EUR) is too much for hamburger here, when in Austria or Italy it's ok. I prefer to go to a kebab bar in town center, when for 8 PLN I have big one, with huge amount of meat and made by Turk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I likeIf I'm on the road and in the mood for a burger, which is very unusual, I'll look for Burger King.
Burger Kings are almost the worst fast-food restaurants in Poland for me. They are cheaper than McDonald's, but food there is filled by fat.

In relationship price - quality KFC wins here, especially for special offers (sandwitch and chips for 5 PLN - in McDonald's without offer it's 8 PLN) and drinking without limit.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #15108
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It's admirable if you can do that. I went through a phase a couple of years ago where I was preparing every meal myself, including going home at lunchtime and making a sandwich. But it can get to be too much work and then it ceases (for me at any rate) to be enjoyable.

It's approaching noon here and this discussion is making me hungry....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 25th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #15109
Road_UK
BANNED

That is a very dutch thing to do. In any case, nothing wrong with an occasional McDonald's. And truck drivers don't go in there, they get huge discounts at roadside restaurants in most of Europe. And the fat truckdriver is a bit of a stereotype remark these days...

Edit: that was a reply to G. Spinoza. Rushhour traffic on here right now.
Old July 25th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #15110
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
...And the fat truckdriver is a bit of a stereotype remark these days...
Can't have that around here! ;-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 25th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #15111
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd

Look at truckdrivers, most of them are tubbies, they don't look healthy because they can not eat properly.
They don't eat eat properly because they don't want to spend. In countries with no healty food tradition, like the USA, UK and Germany is difficult eat healty food without going to fancy and expensive restaurants.
A better choise is buy food and drinks at supermarket. You can chose your favourite brand of everything while bars and fast food would probably choose the cheapest (and so less healty) kind of meat, cheese, etc... Not to mention that you'll save 70-80% on beverages.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #15112
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
It's admirable if you can do that. I went through a phase a couple of years ago where I was preparing every meal myself, including going home at lunchtime and making a sandwich. But it can get to be too much work and then it ceases (for me at any rate) to be enjoyable.
When I worked in Germany I always prepared my own food at home, the night before, and then brought it at work and heated it in the mw oven. Food from the Kantine (cafeteria) didn't look good and was too expensive.
Old July 25th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #15113
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Well, you don't do that. You need to have refrigirator to keep your food cold and a microwave oven to warm it up.

Some taxi-depots have a lunch-room, with such equipment, but you don't know where you are at lunch-time.

It's not like in the 70's tv-show Taxi, where the cabbies sit in the taxi-garage all time, chatting and playing cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
They don't eat eat properly because they don't want to spend. In countries with no healty food tradition, like the USA, UK and Germany is difficult eat healty food without going to fancy and expensive restaurants.
Germany is the home of the sausage, nowadays they also have embraced the kebab. Add to that french fries. Close to the central railway station in any german city you see Kebab-parlors that offer tasty but unhealthy fat food.

Last edited by NordikNerd; July 25th, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #15114
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
McDonald's is healthier then a lot of people think.
i agree. eating at McD at least i am sure that i am eating the food prepared under very high hygienic standards and the food that has been controlled strictly.
Old July 25th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #15115
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i agree. eating at McD at least i am sure that i am eating the food prepared under very high hygienic standards and the food that has been controlled strictly.
Yes, like the guy who found a chicken head inside a McNugget
Old July 25th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #15116
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Yes, like the guy who found a chicken head inside a McNugget
well everybody knows that chicken nuggets are made of minced chicken bones, skin and, obviously, heads
of course it happens, but i don't remember some excess with them here in HR. not to mention some things like salmonella or similar, which are almost initiation procedure for fast foods

(i hardly eat any chicken, and minced chicken - no thanks, i avoid it as much as possible)
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #15117
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Does anyone know the closest KFC to Ljubljana/Slovenia (we don't have it here)?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #15118
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Does anyone know the closest KFC to Ljubljana/Slovenia (we don't have it here)?
Zagreb.
i am sure there was in Graz too, but cannot find it anymore.
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #15119
Verso
Islander

Ok, that's close.
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #15120
Verso
Islander

The Holy See expelled a Slovenian prelate from his own country (Slovenia). He'll move to Trieste so he can be even closer to the Vatican City.

Tags
highways, motorways