daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:49 AM   #15501
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Yes. We should demolish the pass and build a wider straight road, right Suburbanist?
Demolish the pass? Pfft. Demolish the mountains.

You need to think outside the box.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:10 AM   #15502
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Demolish the pass? Pfft. Demolish the mountains.

You need to think outside the box.
30 years ago an engineer proposed a solution for the frequent and dangerous fog in Po Valley. His line of reasoning was this: "Po Valley is like a room with only one window: the Adriatic Sea. Removing the fog is like changing air in a room: you have to open another window in the house so that air can circulate. Po Valley doesn't have another window. But we can create it: let's demolish Passo del Turchino (a 591 m high pass near Genova), we excavate the entire pass to the sea level, air will circulate and no more fog".

g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:32 AM   #15503
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
30 years ago an engineer proposed a solution for the frequent and dangerous fog in Po Valley. His line of reasoning was this: "Po Valley is like a room with only one window: the Adriatic Sea. Removing the fog is like changing air in a room: you have to open another window in the house so that air can circulate. Po Valley doesn't have another window. But we can create it: let's demolish Passo del Turchino (a 591 m high pass near Genova), we excavate the entire pass to the sea level, air will circulate and no more fog".

During the Soviet Union era, the Russians planned to divert the northbound Siberian rivers to flow to the south. The needed canals were planned to excavated by nuclear bombs.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:38 AM   #15504
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG

During the Soviet Union era, the Russians planned to divert the northbound Siberian rivers to flow to the south. The needed canals were planned to excavated by nuclear bombs.
Those science fiction engineering proposal sometimes appear from time to time but even those who plan them know that they're pure utopy (and often would be destructive). I once heard that was possible closing the Suez Canal and the Gibiltrar strait to turn the Mediterranean into a lake. Then pumping out water, decrease the level of 100 or 200 meters and create new lands. Or someone else planned a rail tunnel between Europe and the USA with ultra rapid trains that do more than 1000 kph. Or a 100km road-rail tunnel between USA and Russia (in the Arctic where there are no roads and towns). Or a 120km three decks bridge (cars - trucks - trains) between Ancona and Zadar. Or a 2000 meter high artificial mountain in the Netherlands.

However some extreme projects had already been concretized with destructive consequences for the environment. They diverted Amu Darya and Sir Darya rivers drying the Aral sea or destroyed entire cities with the construction of the Three Gorges Dam.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:57 AM   #15505
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Those science fiction engineering proposal sometimes appear from time to time but even those who plan them know that they're pure utopy (and often would be destructive).
Still that was part of an official research program to find peaceful (?) use for nuclear bombs. The environmental questions were not the top priority in the Soviet Union.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:36 PM   #15506
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG

Still that was part of an official research program to find peaceful (?) use for nuclear bombs. The environmental questions were not the top priority in the Soviet Union.
They already detonated the Tsar Bomb, the most powerful nuclear bomb ever made. Probably some parts of the former Soviet Union (other than Chernobil) are still unsafe for living because of the radiations.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:43 PM   #15507
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

That was an H bomb. Radioactivity is way lower.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:43 PM   #15508
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

I like this game
http://apps.facebook.com/city_challenge_de/wo/?ref=nf
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:13 PM   #15509
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

4 dead and 8 in critical condition (altogether 28 wounded) in a balloon accident south of Ljubljana. What a stupid way to die.

Last edited by Verso; August 24th, 2012 at 12:36 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:50 PM   #15510
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
4 dead and 8 in critical condition (altogether 28 wounded) in a baloon accident south of Ljubljana. What a stupid way to die.
Talking about coincidences, my gf yesterday tried to convince me to go ride a baloon in Milan. "No" was my answer yesterday, and "hell, no!" is today.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:56 PM   #15511
Verso
Islander

I hope your gf isn't angry with me.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:59 PM   #15512
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I hope your gf isn't angry with me.
My gf is free to go wherever she likes. Not with me, though.
As we say in Italy "everyone hangs himself with a rope of own choice".
Old August 24th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #15513
Verso
Islander

There are 3 Italians wounded/burnt as well.
Old August 24th, 2012, 01:36 AM   #15514
italystf

http://gazzettadimantova.gelocal.it/...ione-1.5572842

Few days ago near Mantova a drunk couple (he 35, she 25) did a crazy and potential deadly game. He jumped over the car and she drove crashing against a fence with his boyfriend over the car roof. He's in hospital in critical condition. She had 0,2% of alchool in her blood when the limit is 0,05.

If they had die, they could have been candidated for the Darwin Adward.
Old August 24th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #15515
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Drunk couple? 0,2% thats like nothing they must be mental.

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #15516
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

I received an Email at my work place that German registered cars with the EU and stars plate, that have in the vehicle registration paper the plate number with a "-" between the location and the other letters , could lead to many problems in Switzerland, Austria and Italy, and people who are stopped for controls and have this, can receive a fine up to 500 euros, because the plate number in the registration is not identical with the one on on the car (where there is no "-").

I looked in my registration paper and I have the "Bindestrich"

Quote:
Guten Morgen,

wir haben heute aus der Holding die Info erhalten, dass es in der Schweiz, in Österreich und in Italien zu massiven Problemen kommen kann, wenn die Fahrzeuge mit einem EU-Kennzeichen ausgestattet sind (was anderes gibt es ja nicht mehr) und in der ZB I dann noch ein Bindestrich zwischen dem Landkreis und den Buchstaben vermerkt ist.

Kommt man im Ausland in eine Kontrolle, werden Strafen von bis zu 500 Euro abverlangt. Weigert man sich, diese zu zahlen, können die Fahrzeuge stillgelegt werden.

Die Rechtslage ist laut dem Bundesministerium für Verkehr, Bau und Stadtentwicklung eindeutig, in Deutschland sind beide Schreibweisen erlaubt. Und EU-weit ist immer das Gesetz des zulassenden Landes bindend.
Daher muss man im Prinzip die Strafe nicht akzeptieren, man hat aber vor Ort oft leider keine andere Wahl.

Solltet ihr mit unseren Firmenfahrzeugen in solch eine Zwickmühle geraten, bitte eine ordentliche Quittung ausstellen lassen, auf der auch der Name des Polizisten und die verwarnende Behörde vermerkt sind. Wir werden diese Fälle an unseren KFZ-Rechtsschutz weitergeben.

Aufgrund der Meldungen haben die Zulassungsstellen nun einen teilweise kostenfreien Umtausch der Unterlagen eingeräumt.
Wir werden die Unterlagen unserer Fahrzeuge so schnell wie möglich umtauschen. Die weitere Vorgehensweise muss aber noch mit dem Landratsamt geklärt werden
So, this should be wrong

And this correct

The German authorities say that both are correct, but offer the people the choise to change them, some do this without costs, some demand 10-12€ for this.

Here an article in German.
http://www.szbz.de/nachrichten/news-...en-718953.html
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #15517
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

All Dutch plates have that.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #15518
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

If I'm not mistaken, Romanian do too.
So, will these also be affected by this "persecution"?
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #15519
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Same in Slovakia, first EU plates had dash too, then in 2007 they introduced new plates with coat of arms -

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #15520
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Yes, but do you have both styles in the registration papers?
It seems this is a problem in Germany too, besides that the papers with "-" do not match the plates without "-".

Tags
highways, motorways