daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #15561
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
"mačka" for a real cat.
Just like un Hungarian. Spelling is different ('macska'), but the pronounciation is the same. We have lots of words of Slav origin :-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #15562
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4005

Quote:
and "mačka" for a real cat.
Same in Serbian, Croatian and Slovenian.
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #15563
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Okay, Isaac's about to reach the southeast tip of Louisiana as a "Category 1" hurricane.

My mother's best friend, who lives in Baton Rouge, has gone to Houston for a few days; they couldn't get a room any closer.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #15564
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
By the way, in which other slavic languages, except Bulgarian, "kotka" means "a cat"?
Polish for female cat. Male is called "kot". Small fellow would be "kotek" or "kociak" (also sexy human girl may be called so), old one "kocur". Pregnant "kotka" is "kotna"
Old August 28th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #15565
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Okay, Isaac's about to reach the southeast tip of Louisiana as a "Category 1" hurricane.

My mother's best friend, who lives in Baton Rouge, has gone to Houston for a few days; they couldn't get a room any closer.
The Mississippi Delta is quite a distance from New Orleans, about 90 miles. The current NHC advisory has Isaac moving at 10 mph, so it's going to be a while before the wind, rains and storm surges let down.

I wonder why people live so remote and vulnerable along the Mississippi course jutting into the Gulf of Mexico. Venice is a good 75 miles from New Orleans by road.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #15566
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Mississippi Delta is quite a distance from New Orleans, about 90 miles. The current NHC advisory has Isaac moving at 10 mph, so it's going to be a while before the wind, rains and storm surges let down.

I wonder why people live so remote and vulnerable along the Mississippi course jutting into the Gulf of Mexico. Venice is a good 75 miles from New Orleans by road.
The US Army Corp of Engineers is telling the local radio stations in New Orleans that the new levees are "better then the Dutch". I'm as pro-America as they come, but even I have to call BS on that. I doubt even the Chinese could do better with levees then you guys, ChrisZwolle.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #15567
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

A 250-kg WWII bomb has been detonated yesterday in Munich neighborhood of Schwabing, 1 km from where I used to live. The bomb was found under the very popular "Schwabinger 7", a bar/pub, recently closed and demolished. The bomb was impossible to remove or defuse so the neighborhood was evacuated in a radius of 300 m and for a radius of 1km curfew was imposed - no one was allowed out of their houses. The bomb was detonated in situ at 21.54, and it seems that at least 4 buildings are on fire now:

The ex-owner of Schwabinger 7 stated: "We used to party every night over this bomb and it didn't go off. This casts a bad light on us, as if we weren't loud enough, but believe me, we were"
Typical German humour...

Last edited by g.spinoza; August 29th, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #15568
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

My car, a Skoda Fabia from 2006 was stolen yesterday in Dresden

The number of cars stolen in Dresden, is about 1000 anually so you should really pay attention if coming to eastern parts of Germany, near borders with Poland and Czech Republic. Most stolen cars are Skoda, then VW.

That's a big downside of Schengen, since 2008 the number of stolen cars increased a lot in Dresden and Saxony, most responsible being the czechs and then the poles. So there are also problems when there is no border between a state like Germany, where corruption is almost nonexistant and states like Czech Republic, where corruption is still present. It's easy for someone to just go over the border, steal something and then come back undisturbed in less than 1 hour to its safe heaven, where police do nothing against him because they are bribed. It's hard for me to believe that such high amount of stolen cars can be absorbed in Czech Republic without the help of autorities.
Skilldetector A new HR platform where everything is about your skills!
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #15569
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Amsterdam is just a tad bigger than Dresden and has almost 5.000 cars stolen per year.
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #15570
dubart
HAL9001

Likes (Received): 158

Zagreb only 300
in croatian: http://www.vecernji.hr/zagreb/u-zagr...-clanak-289923
dubart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #15571
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

huh. what can you do now?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #15572
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Damn, what are you doing now, Panda80?
I guess you reported it, but there is nothing really to be done.
Just out of curiosity, where did you park the car?

I want to visit Dresden one day, didn't even think about cars being stolen.

And in about 4 weeks I want to visit Prague...
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #15573
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Damn, what are you doing now, Panda80?
I guess you reported it, but there is nothing really to be done.
Just out of curiosity, where did you park the car?

I want to visit Dresden one day, didn't even think about cars being stolen.

And in about 4 weeks I want to visit Prague...
I don't know...I will come back with a train most probably, as it is way cheaper than flying...I reported the car immediately as I saw it missing from the parking area, at about 10am. One friend said he passed through the parking area at 8.30 am and the car wasn't there. Probably it happened during the night and when I told the police the car was surely already in Czech Republic, which is less than 1 hour driving from here.

I parked the car in the parking lot of the students block of flats where my girlfriend is staying during the 2 years master she's enrolled in at TU Dresden. The parking is a paid one, however not guarded nor video-watched. It has a barrier but when you leave the parking the barrier rises up automatically without the need to show the parking card to the sensor. So it's really easy to get out from the parking with a car.

If you come here you should consider buying some anti-stealing equipment, that will discourage the possible thieves. I was in many countries considered way unsafe like Albania, Bulgaria, ex-Yu and nothing happened, my father even forget to close the window of a more valuable Skoda Oktavia car one night in Sozopol, Bulgaria and nothing happened so I didn't even thought that my car can be stolen in Germany.
Skilldetector A new HR platform where everything is about your skills!
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #15574
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Wasn't there a comparison recently that showed much more cars were stolen in western EU than eastern EU?

You cannot prevent this with Schengen unless you reinstate border checks and ask every passenger car for their papers and ID.

A good reminder though, that I shouldn't leave my car papers in the car.
Old August 29th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #15575
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Weather junkies outside the U.S. may be interested to know that the Weather Channel is streaming, which they usually don't do.

http://www.weather.com/tv/tvshows/live-stream

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #15576
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

If you need some help Panda80, let me know, but I live a little far from from Dresden.

I must say I leave my car parked on the street near where I live, don't have private parking or garage. Had no problem til now, and I even forgot it a few times unlocked. I have local Ingolstadt plates.
But my dad was not so lucky when he came to Ingolstadt in December. After just 3 nights he found his right mirror hanging totally smashed. The car was parked on the same streets I park it, on the right side.

Anyone some tips about not having problems in Prague? Some hotel recommendation (with parking)? Or maybe use payed garage parking?
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #15577
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Huge truck accident in Belgium:

Old August 29th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #15578
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Anyone some tips about not having problems in Prague? Some hotel recommendation (with parking)? Or maybe use payed garage parking?
I stayed for 2 nights in Prague. I drove there with my Renault Clio (with Romanian plates) and I parked it in the hotel's garage during my visit. I went in the city by metro. I went by car just one time, to the zoo, but I didn't have any kind of problems.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #15579
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Meanwhile in Soviet Russia - Google Street view

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #15580
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Google Street view
Nope, that's from Yandex.ru
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways