daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #15841
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza

I have many Slovak coins. Only ones I never saw are Estonian, Vatican and Monegasque. I also have one from Cyprus.
Really? Vatican put in circulation 6 millions of 50-cent pieces between 2010 and 2012, they aren't so rare. I have 1 from 2010 and 2 from 2011.
I have 2 Cyprus (10-20c), 1 Malta (5c), 1 Lux (20c), 2 San Marino (1€ x2) and 5 Finland (2€ 1€ 1€ 10c 5c). I don't keep SLO and SK, they're not so rare (except commemoratives).
Still waiting for the 5 cent Italy 2003...
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #15842
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

I had to check what coins I have atm in my wallet - 3x 2 euros from Slovakia, one from Germany and France, then 50c from France, 20c from NL and 1c from Belgium

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #15843
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

I have just one Dutch coin in my wallet.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #15844
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
I had to check what coins I have atm in my wallet - 3x 2 euros from Slovakia, one from Germany and France, then 50c from France, 20c from NL and 1c from Belgium
http://www.euro-auflagen.de/
You should look at the year on coins. Coins with low mintage are worth keeping. In Italy some Italian coins could be rarer than some Finnish or Cypriot.
Old September 11th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #15845
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2086

I never care about years. I keep 1 specimen for each Krause number, the rest is not interesting to me.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #15846
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

European coinage was even more interesting before 2002.

(I know, it would be impractical to go back, and probably a bad idea for other reasons, and I'm certainly not suggesting it and it's none of my business anyway.

But it was.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #15847
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
European coinage was even more interesting before 2002.

(I know, it would be impractical to go back, and probably a bad idea for other reasons, and I'm certainly not suggesting it and it's none of my business anyway.

But it was.)

In Italy the coinage was quite a mess. In the last years we had different kinds of coins for the same denomination (3 different sizes for £50 and £100). We had a lot of commemoratives and San Marino coins but they were common and not valuable. Lower denominations (1-2-5-10-20 lire) were never seen in circulation since the 80s and prices were rounded, although remained legal tender.
Many Italian coins were oversized related to their value: £50 and £100 (the most common kind) were bigger than the 2€ because when they were introduced in the 50s they had a much greater purchasing power.

With the euro all coins of the same denomination have the same common face but there are more "rarities" that can be found in your pocket change: commemoratives 2€, coins from far away countries and low mintage coins. For example I found a 20c Greece 2004 that was minted in just 470k pieces. Euro coins have a fair size in relation to their value.

Apart few far-right nationalists, nobody think to phase out the € and return to the national currencies. The disgregation of the Eurozone would lead to the disgregation of the EU itself, and thus generating a very bad political and economical crisis. If a country leave the Eurozone or the EU there is the risk of "domino effect" and EU is doing everything possible to remain united and avoiding single countries leaving. Once a country leave the EU, the doors for an authoritarian government are open...

@Penn's Wood: do you find very old coins in circulation there? USA never changed currency...

Last edited by italystf; September 11th, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old September 11th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #15848
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1314

Meanwhile in Latvia.

This is a speeding ticket, lol.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #15849
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

^ Deja vu. I was discussing with a friend yesterday about this possibility.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #15850
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
@Penn's Wood: do you find very old coins in circulation there? USA never changed currency...
Designs change occasionally, and once that happens, the old ones seem to be hoarded by collectors.

Currently in circulation:

1-cent piece ("penny"): I don't think I've ever gotten a pre-1909 penny in my change. (Granted, 1909's a long time ago, but the front of the penny - Lincoln's head - has been the same since then. Before 1909, the penny was the same size and color - it's a sort of copper/bronze mixture - but a different design.)

5-cent piece ("nickel"): the last change of design was in the '30s or '40s; but again the size and metal didn't change. I think I may have gotten one or two of the old ones over the years.

Higher denominations than that all switched from silver to a different metal mixture in 1965, some with design changes, some without. I don't know if the silver ones were formally withdrawn from circulation, but I would guess they were: I've never, ever gotten a silver one in my change, and I'm just old enough - born 1964 - that I'd expect silver coins to have come my way if they weren't withdrawn, but not old enough to remember whether they were.

You're actually more likely to come across the occasional Canadian coin; they're the same sizes* and denominations as ours so they're easy to mix up if you're not paying attention.

*Actually the sizes are very slightly different, so that U.S. coins won't work in Canadian vending machines and vice versa. But not different enough that you'd notice unless you had a U.S. and a Canadian coin of the same denomination together.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #15851
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

is it true that Slovenians are very patriotic and not very open peole? Whenever I go through slovenia I have this impression. the country is beautiful, great landscpae. But the people seem very patriotic and think very highly off themselves. Going through Slvoenia most radio stations play slvoenian Pop music instead of international music and electronic. stopping at rest areas Slvenians just look the way I described and even here on the forums any attempt by me to higher the atmosphere, make some joke or some fun in the Slovenian thread is being denied? Why?

such a beautiful country should have more open people, but I guess because of the beauty people are closed and want to keep it to themselves and protect it.
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #15852
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
You're actually more likely to come across the occasional Canadian coin; they're the same sizes* and denominations as ours so they're easy to mix up if you're not paying attention.

*Actually the sizes are very slightly different, so that U.S. coins won't work in Canadian vending machines and vice versa. But not different enough that you'd notice unless you had a U.S. and a Canadian coin of the same denomination together.
Your one-cent coin sometimes appears in Europe mistaken for a 2 eurocent. Size and color are almost the same.
Old September 11th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #15853
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
^ Deja vu. I was discussing with a friend yesterday about this possibility.
Ive heard of this several times already on some news, but havent seen a real picture of that since now.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #15854
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

at that ticket.

Some days ago riding my bike I did 30 km/h on a 20 km/h in front of police!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #15855
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Meanwhile in Mexico, a rapist was crucified at a road sign by the Narcos:

Last edited by g.spinoza; September 11th, 2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #15856
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish2
is it true that Slovenians are very patriotic and not very open peole? Whenever I go through slovenia I have this impression. the country is beautiful, great landscpae. But the people seem very patriotic and think very highly off themselves. Going through Slvoenia most radio stations play slvoenian Pop music instead of international music and electronic. stopping at rest areas Slvenians just look the way I described and even here on the forums any attempt by me to higher the atmosphere, make some joke or some fun in the Slovenian thread is being denied? Why?

such a beautiful country should have more open people, but I guess because of the beauty people are closed and want to keep it to themselves and protect it.
Austrians are down to themselves as well. The Zillertaler are the worst. They really think the sun shines out of their arses.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #15857
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Austrians are down to themselves as well. The Zillertaler are the worst. They really think the sun shines out of their arses.
Southern Italians as well. Even if they moved North, they never go to the seaside, say, in Rimini or Viareggio, because "our sea is way better". I attended a wedding in Salerno, last weekend, and the bride said that Salerno was "the most beautiful city in the world". I was about to burst into laughter...
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #15858
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I know that from Austrians, especially the older people in austria are very dissapoitning about this subject and praise austria to heaven, no doubt the mountains are beautiful, but that is no reason to behave like that, since the tectonic plates did not chose tog et up just there on porpuse.

Could any slvenian say something about that subject?
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #15859
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza

Southern Italians as well. Even if they moved North, they never go to the seaside, say, in Rimini or Viareggio, because "our sea is way better". I attended a wedding in Salerno, last weekend, and the bride said that Salerno was "the most beautiful city in the world". I was about to burst into laughter...
I noticed that younger south Italians are quite open to speak about the problems of their area. On the countrary, older generation get offended even if you say that mafia exist.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old September 11th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #15860
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish2 View Post
Could any slvenian say something about that subject?
Cold Alpine folks.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways