daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #15881
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccolli View Post
Hmm, well what would you do if someone put border line on your backyard? ... i think he was regarding the circumstances pretty calm
yes, he might be a bit crazy, but he lives in border dispute area, so it's understandable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Go to western Slovenia, they babble like Italians.
we do not babble! you Ljubljanish people eat letters
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #15882
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

I have strangely high amount of Italian coins :p

From the about 2 euro that was in my bag (that I always take to school, my wallet is downstairs, but there's a so called Tupperware-meeting downstairs: I'm not going downstairs )

1.30 (5 coins) Italy
0.20 (2 coins) Germany
0.15 (2 coins) Spain
0.10 (1 coin) Portuguese
0.05 (1 coin) Netherlands

And I'm leaving out my coin collection upstairs here

Besides one of those old collection albums I have full (1 cent - 2 euro, from the first 15 or so Euro-countries)

On top of that:
2 euro:
Belgium:
- 60 years of Universal Human rights
Germany:
-Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
-Saarland
-10 years of Economic and Monetary Union
Greece:
-Normal coin
Ireland:
-Normal coin
The Netherlands:
-50 years Treaty of Rome (2x)
-10 years of Economic and Monetary Union
Vatican
-Normal coin

1 euro
Portuguese:
-normal coin
Vatican
-normal coin

50 cents
-Greece

Old money
France
-a few coins, going back to 1950 or so
NL
-lots of coins, going as far back as 1800!

Current from abroad:
Brunei
-Several banknotes
Czech Republic
-All coins and paper money up to 500. (collected those during school trip to Germany and Czech Rep. )
Croatia
-Mostly small coins
India
- 1-5 rupee notes
Indonesian rupiah
Malaysia
-bank notes
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #15883
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
we do not babble! you Ljubljanish people eat letters
No wonder my stomach hurts.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #15884
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post

2 euro:
Vatican
-Normal coin

1 euro
Vatican
-normal coin
How did you get them? The only Vatican coins that are put in circulation are the 50 cent 2010-2011-2012. Other denominations are minted in small quantities and sold to collectors for a lot of money.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #15885
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Just in a normal store... Starting to think they're not authentic now...
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #15886
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
how do you find so cool euro coins? on my last trip to Spain i got only spanish, french and german coins. oh, and one greek, it was real surprise to me.
while traveling often to Italy, i get mostly italian, german, maybe some austrian and french coins.
French coins aren't that common in Italy. I'd say that, after the Italian coins, most common are Austrian (1,2,5,10 cents) and Germans (larger denominations).

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
How did you get them? The only Vatican coins that are put in circulation are the 50 cent 2010-2011-2012. Other denominations are minted in small quantities and sold to collectors for a lot of money.
A vending machine, a couple of years ago, gave me a Sammarinese 50 cents as change. I guess someone didn't know it was more valuable than its mere denomination and put it into circulation.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #15887
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
A vending machine, a couple of years ago, gave me a Sammarinese 50 cents as change. I guess someone didn't know it was more valuable than its mere denomination and put it into circulation.
It's not that weird. San Marino throghout the years released different times coins for the circulation, that probably don't worth more than face value if already circulated. I have 2 1€ 2010, a million of them was put in circulation. I keep them but they probably worth 1€ each. Unless your 50 cent is dated 2004, 2009, 2010 or 2011 (they were put only in mint sets and not in circulation) it's not so weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer
Just in a normal store... Starting to think they're not authentic now...
You get them as change? Please post a pic, also the common face. This in very interesting.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Last edited by italystf; September 12th, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #15888
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

General elections in the Netherlands today. Just going through the online newspapers to see how they are doing. I am glad a lot of you can't read Dutch. Badly written comments, a lot of them racist from Dutch readers, with the biggest nonsense that you could ever imagine, would only give the impression that the Dutch are among the dumbest on earth. Actually, the Dutch masses are not very bright, especially the ones that go on vacation in Austria. Modern times I guess.

What are the masses like in your country? And do they make sense when they comment on a newspaper report? Or do they irritate you?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #15889
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

I think masses are the same eveywhere. Masses are as intelligent as their stupidest component.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #15890
Road_UK
BANNED

What about average online l comments in newspapers? A lot of times I find comments from Americans better found, and a lot better written, then those from the British.

If u no wot i meen LOL
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #15891
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Depends on the paper. I find comments on Washington Post or New York Times articles more reasonable than those on the Telegraph, for example.

Although that depends to some extent on the topic, and I admit on my own biases on the topic in question. And I can't explain how the Telegraph became my go-to site for British news.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #15892
Road_UK
BANNED

I am a Times reader myself. And for online news I turn to the BBC. I don't know if you ever have heard of the international news forum called topix.net , because even on there the Americans, will all their different opinions a lot of times make a lot more sense to me then the chat-abacadabra writing Brits.
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #15893
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

BBC World News - the 24-hour* news channel available outside the UK - became available on my cable carrier around last Christmas; I've been watching it a lot since then, although sometimes I have an urge to throw things at it. There's an hour of the World Service available between 9 and 10 a.m. on many public radio stations; I used to turn it on at work, but haven't done that in months: a lot of the announcers seem to have rather loud voices and I have a low noise tolerance. And if I have something I actually need to think about for work, having the radio on is out of the question for me.

I was avoiding American political coverage - it's too agitating and my vote's not up for grabs - over the summer, but lately I put on MSNBC in the evenings, until I'm not in the mood. Which means I haven't seen much BBC lately.

Never heard of topix.net; nowadays I glance at the New York Times and Washington Post on line and flip through the office's copy of the former.

*except weekends, when they get silly.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #15894
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Masses are as intelligent as their stupidest component.
Worse...

The team IQ is the highest individual IQ divided by the number of team members.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #15895
Road_UK
BANNED

Right.

So we already got a name if it is going to be a boy. Can we please have suggestions if it's going to be a girl? If you'd be so kind enough to let us know within 9 months, thank you very much.
Old September 12th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #15896
Neverworld

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
General elections in the Netherlands today. Just going through the online newspapers to see how they are doing. I am glad a lot of you can't read Dutch. Badly written comments, a lot of them racist from Dutch readers, with the biggest nonsense that you could ever imagine, would only give the impression that the Dutch are among the dumbest on earth. Actually, the Dutch masses are not very bright, especially the ones that go on vacation in Austria. Modern times I guess.

What are the masses like in your country? And do they make sense when they comment on a newspaper report? Or do they irritate you?
Which online papers are you referring to? I agree that the current sentiment is far from healthy, a lot of people are just unhappy for some reason and are blaming everyone but themselves. However, if you're referring to Nu.nl or Telegraaf.nl, I (still) feel they are not really representative. Some comments on these sites make me puke.

Congratulations by the way!
Neverworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #15897
Road_UK
BANNED

Thank you!

Telegraaf and ad.nl
Old September 12th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #15898
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

NU.nl probably has millions of daily readers, but only a fraction of them comment on articles, often there are maybe 300 - 500 comments and a large number of them are indeed mindnumblingly stupid, but it's hardly representative of the whole country, which gives some hope.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #15899
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
You get them as change? Please post a pic, also the common face. This in very interesting.
A friend of me told me this was from the Vatican, but looking at some pics on google they look nothing alike?

I'm gonna recheck some other coins first... I'll try and post a pic of the coins later.
Old September 12th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #15900
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Right.

So we already got a name if it is going to be a boy. Can we please have suggestions if it's going to be a girl? If you'd be so kind enough to let us know within 9 months, thank you very much.
!
Congratulations!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
highways, motorways