daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 16th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #15941
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Not the worst I've ever seen.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #15942
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19422

Definitely not, but these signs are popping up all over the Netherlands, quite annoying.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #15943
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

i really cannot understand those crations. is there a logical explanation why they haven't used "forbidden right turning" sign?! (litany under it is the other story)

Old September 17th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #15944
ChrisZwolle
Road user

98 posts from the HR topic are gone Probably the most I ever deleted in one session on Highways & Autobahns.
Old September 17th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #15945
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Springclean?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #15946
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Autumnclean maybe
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #15947
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's one of those things in the "gray area", posts that are not so bad they require immediate deletion, but the whole discussion got ridiculous.
Old September 17th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #15948
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Radiclean
Old September 17th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #15949
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
98 posts from the HR topic are gone Probably the most I ever deleted in one session on Highways & Autobahns.
Out of curiosity, do deleted posts remain in one's personal count? I mean, if I have 200 posts and 10 got deleted, does my counter revert to 190?
Old September 17th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #15950
Road_UK
BANNED

Good question. I should know this LOL
Old September 17th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #15951
ChrisZwolle
Road user

To be honest, I have no idea, I don't really care about the post count.
Old September 17th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #15952
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Out of curiosity, do deleted posts remain in one's personal count? I mean, if I have 200 posts and 10 got deleted, does my counter revert to 190?
They revert to 190.

Btw, I'm soon going by bus to Istanbul.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #15953
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Oh, misery.

I would take a plane or a car. Definitely. I've traveled with buses much too much. My longest and difficult trip in last 20 years was 1000+ km, 15 h long trip Nakonde (TZ-ZAM border) - Lusaka. This is, when you're frown somewhere where even God forgot those places.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #15954
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

I've been to Barcelona, Paris, and Brussels by bus and it wasn't that bad (ok, to Barcelona in one direction I went by plane). But we'll stop in Belgrade and Sofia, so it won't be just transit. By train you'd need 30 hours.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #15955
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

I wouldn't consider that comparable. Notice that in long-distance, otherwise pretty modern African buses (almost exclusively from Scania) you stop once every 3-4 hours for a pee (cca 2-3 minutes) in bushes. And seat arrangement is 2+3. And luggage is everywhere.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #15956
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
:-P

Because it's true, but apart from that we also studied something that happened somewhere on the other side of the Ocean. I'm (sort of) familiar with Appomattox, Gettysburg, Alamo and stuff, but Antietam, never heard of it.

And I also learned the world "flippant", which is gonna become my fav of the American idiom.
By way of follow-up, g.spinoza, I keep thinking of you this weekend: I've heard over and over (from well-known historians and National Parks rangers...) that Britain and France were on the point of recognizing the Confederacy (the group of slaveholding states that had seceded from the U.S. and formed a new federation and were fighting for independence) but wanted to see one Confederate victory on northern soil. If they had recognized the Confederacy, they would have also pressured Lincoln into ending the war and letting the South go....

Also, Lincoln had already written up the proclamation ending slavery in the rebel states, but needed a victory before he could publish it, or it would look desperate.

Those were the stakes in this battle: thanks to the Confederates' losing, Britain and France didn't recognize them, and once the Emancipation Proclamation was made public five days after the battle, it was out of the question that Britain would take the wrong side in what was now officially* a war over slavery.

While there were still points at which the Confederacy could have won the war (Gettysburg....) this was a blow to them. Some historians argue this was the most important battle of the war (I'm not sure I agree, but it would be in the top two).

Why am I bringing this up? Imagine the consequences for Europe if the U.S. had been diminished by the loss of the South, or perhaps broken up altogether. A World War II in which Britain was alone against Hitler would not have ended well. (I'm not trying to be chauvinistic here and claim that Europe owes us anything. I certainly recognize we were late to the game in 1941: it's great that Britain fought alone, and that she was able to hold out as long on her own as she did. But it seems pretty clear to me, just as a matter of fact, that U.S. participation made the difference in defeating Hitler. And to me, at any rate, the Civil War is at least as important in its own right as World War II.) My point is that even events you've never heard of that happened outside of Europe are, in a way, part of your history.

*Defending slavery was always the Confederate states' main motivation for seceding - and don't let historians who were embarrassed about that a century later tell you otherwise - but the Federal government was, officially, fighting to preserve (or restore) the Union up to this point.

[history lesson over - steps off soapbox]

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; September 18th, 2012 at 05:00 AM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #15957
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Um, mazel tov?

And Happy New Year to our Jewish friends.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #15958
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Penn's I may agree on most issues in your post, even on the slavery thing (which I don't, but that's just me), but Britain wasn't alone in its fight against Hitler. The way I see it, Russia had the biggest part in defeating Germany, even bigger than USA's. I'm not saying Hitler could be defeated without the US, but the situation, especially around 1942, wasn't that desperate.
The key to the Allies' victory was around 1941-42, when US was basically absent from the European scene and only busy in the Pacific. In 1943-1944, when US put feet on European soil, Hitler's fate was almost only question of time. D-Day was a bit overrated. It was important, not decisive.

IMHO, for sure.
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #15959
Road_UK
BANNED

Where did the key in 1941/1942 lie? Occupation in most countries were still fairly recent, and mass killings and exterminations have only just begun.
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #15960
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_barbarossa

Tags
highways, motorways