daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:58 AM   #16201
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK
How would one feel, when you drive a friend and boss to a meeting point, and then two hours later theyre both dead in a plane crash...
Condolence... that's really terrible

However it would be far more terrible for you if they died in an accident provoked directly by you

The brother of the "gf" I had at the age of 13-14 died 2 years ago at the age of 20 in a moto accident. It was shocking for me to discover that reading the local newspaper.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Last edited by italystf; October 2nd, 2012 at 01:14 AM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:35 PM   #16202
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

Condolence from me too, it's really sad .

Not even in comparison with what you went through, I just learned some 2 weeks ago, after doing a test, that I am fructose intolerant. That kinda sucks, but also explains a lot of problems I had from quite some time (and at least the lactose test was negative).
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:10 AM   #16203
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

I've heard nothing about this, the British media is focusing on a kidnapping of a five year old in Machynlleth

Edit: I found it at the bottom of the first page of my google search. How sad, my condolences
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 03:42 PM   #16204
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Who likes industrial landscapes? On one side they are ugly and an eyesore, but their complexity is also interesting. A few weeks ago I was driving through the Port of Rotterdam, which is probably the largest industrial area in Europe. If you're at the N15 endpoint, there is a sign that says "Rotterdam 45 km" and there is nothing but industry in between.

New coal-fired power plant in Rotterdam.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 03:52 PM   #16205
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I like the other side of the water, between Vlaardingen and Maassluis. Farmland on one side, the waterway with ships from all over the world and industry on the other. Other than that I'm no fan of industrial areas.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 03:56 PM   #16206
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Agreed. 50 km of A4 between Bergamo and Milano are an uninterrupted series of industries...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 04:03 PM   #16207
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That part of Italy is not very well organized. Towns, suburbs, villages and industrial areas all patched together. What is that huge plant in Dalmine?
Old October 3rd, 2012, 04:12 PM   #16208
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

It's the Tenaris Dalmine steel mill
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 04:19 PM   #16209
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle
That part of Italy is not very well organized. Towns, suburbs, villages and industrial areas all patched together. What is that huge plant in Dalmine?
Actually, I like that about northern Italy. I can spend hours driving, looking for the right factory. Even the GPS is giving up on me there. One time it guided me over a supermarket car park just outside Milan, out of desperation.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 05:34 PM   #16210
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

LOL!

Well, due to industrial estates I don't say I have left Zaragoza until I get past Villanueva, 10 km North. But one cannot say he has left Madrid until he passes Guadalajara, that is 55 kilometers!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:18 PM   #16211
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That part of Italy is not very well organized. Towns, suburbs, villages and industrial areas all patched together.
That is an area of early industrialization in Italy. It was already a patchwork of different towns when factories started popping up around them.

It could have been worse, though, if Milano (the municipality) hadn't incorporated many former independent "comuni" in the 1920s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I like the other side of the water, between Vlaardingen and Maassluis. Farmland on one side, the waterway with ships from all over the world and industry on the other. Other than that I'm no fan of industrial areas.
I've visited a fair number of ports and other big industrial areas in Europe and I must say I've never seen another port area so nicely landscaped as Rotterdam. The streets and roads are actually cleaner than in some big cities, companies neatly trim all grass, there are natural parks in between quays, two huge beaches at the side of the port access canal and there are just a few "run down" industrial buildings, and none of them "crumbling to pieces" at least from the public view.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:21 PM   #16212
Road_UK
BANNED

Agreed.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:22 PM   #16213
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
LOL!

Well, due to industrial estates I don't say I have left Zaragoza until I get past Villanueva, 10 km North. But one cannot say he has left Madrid until he passes Guadalajara, that is 55 kilometers!
Spain has actually big voids between its major metropolitan areas.

Only the Costa Brava and Costa del Sol give you the impression of a continuous area. I remember my April's drive between Zaragoza and Valencia: few, if any, built-up environment near the Autovia Mudéjar.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:25 PM   #16214
Road_UK
BANNED

Yep. Those sort of patterns makes a country like Spain a pleasure to drive in.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:37 PM   #16215
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interestingly the Port of Rotterdam is the largest hunting area in the Netherlands. They have to shoot rabbits and other fauna that undermine retaining walls around oil storage tanks.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:38 PM   #16216
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
That is an area of early industrialization in Italy. It was already a patchwork of different towns when factories started popping up around them.

It could have been worse, though, if Milano (the municipality) hadn't incorporated many former independent "comuni" in the 1920s.
Milan urban area, unlikely to Rome, it's still very fragmented under an administrative point of view. Its population is about 3 millions, only 1,2 of them in the city proper and the rest in dozen of municipalities (several are quite big, between 50k and 100k) that belong to 3 provinces (Milan, Varese and the more recent and useless Monza e Brianza).
Milan urbanization spread out mostly towards the north because lowlands in the south are more fertile than the mostly gravel made prealpine lands and historically had been used for agriculture rather for industrialization and urbanization. You can see that same scheme of development in other urban areas in the Pianura Padana including smaller ones like Udine (factories, warehouses and malls from Udine to the Alps, agricultural fields from Udine to the Adriatic).
The administrative fragmentation inside an urban area causes an inefficiency in urban planning and infrastructures because every municipality draws plans for itself without care to the integration to other parts of the urban area. Milan suburbs could be unificated into a giant municipality of 3 million people. They did the same for Genoa in the 20s, when Nervi, Voltri, Pegli, Sampierdarena and many other suburbs were still autonomous "comuni".
Lugano, Switzerland, did the same few years ago.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #16217
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Milan urban area is 4.3 millions, a part of the Milan metropolitan area that has over 9 millions inhabitants, not 3 as you said (that's the Milano province only). About the useless Monza & Brianza province you said, I should remember you that is the 21st on 110 for number of inhabitants (more than Basilicata and Molise regions together) and before its creation, we just lived in the shadow of Milan. Useless are maybe all the "chairs" occupied by councillors, but this is a problem in every province
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #16218
Suburbanist
on the road

I know it. I used to live in this place before I moved to Netherlands. Just some 500m to the Corsico-Milano "border"
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #16219
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist
I know it. I used to live in this place before I moved to Netherlands. Just some 500m to the Corsico-Milano "border"
Where are you from originally?
Old October 4th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #16220
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Where are you from originally?
Some say...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways