daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #16401
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK
as any EU passport is as good as the other, there is really no need.
It's not the case of Italy were foreign residents can't vote for national elections or referendum but just the local ones.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #16402
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Well, there is really no need to be nationalized when moving from one EU country to the other, unless you really want to vote for a government in your new home country. But any EU national will have the same rights as local citizens.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #16403
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It doesn't surprise me at all if many southern Italians cannot locate Slovenia on the map.
But students of International Relations?

Quote:
Well, now there are proofs that Vikings reached Greenland around 900 and Newfoundland in 1400 but this wasn't know in Southern Europe in the past centuries so we still think that Columbus was the first.
I'm ok with Columbus as long as you know about Vikings. They only discovered it for themselves. I'd also add that Columbus actually thought he'd discovered India. Anyone knows when it was found out it had actually been America?

Quote:
We also think that Mont Blanc is the highest in Europe because we 'forget' Caucasus or that the Po is the longest Italian river, forgetting where Drava/Drau source is.
Hmm, interesting. I knew Drava's source was in Italy (driven there on E66), but wasn't thinking it's actually longest Italian river.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #16404
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84
And a native can't be kicked out, an illegal immigrant yes
But he can be jailed if caugh.

Being Italian you probably remember the recent horrendous murder of an elderly couple in Lignano. The killers, two Cuban brothers (living 600 meters from me ) were caugh after dozen of innocent people had their fingerprints and DNA sample collected by police. And finally they were caught thanks to science and police efforts. If they already had a database they would have done it quicklier.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old October 7th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #16405
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
It's not the case of Italy were foreign residents can't vote for national elections or referendum but just the local ones.
Same as in any country. But you can still vote in an embassy of your native country.
Old October 7th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #16406
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post

To Road_UK's post: Is registering on the electoral roll something you can do right away (in the UK for example), but only permits you to vote in European Parliament and local elections, not British national elections? Or can you vote in British elections right away? When does British citizenship (or the right to vote) come, after those five years?

You will never be able to vote in national elections unless you are a British citizen. But EU citizens can register (online) at all times, and will allow them to participate in local and European elections.
Old October 7th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #16407
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18300

You can for example live in France and work in Germany too.

I for example, as Romanian citizen, so also member of the EU, live in Germany from December 2011 and also work here, so pay all the associated taxes. I had to register to the local authorities here. I bought a car and registered it also here, pay taxes for it here.
My university degree from RO is valid here, my drivers license too.
In order to start working here, I had to get a work approbation, since RO is EU member only for a short while and most of the other EU members kept some work restrictions. For people with university degree it was mostly a formality, and starting 2012 it was loosened much more, that you don't even need an approbation if you have university degree and work in your branch.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #16408
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
But he can be jailed if caugh.
Jail for what? Expired documents?? Let's be serious, there are crimes that only foreigners can do, aka illigal immigration.

Quote:
Being Italian you probably remember the recent horrendous murder of an elderly couple in Lignano. The killers, two Cuban brothers (living 600 meters from me ) were caugh after dozen of innocent people had their fingerprints and DNA sample collected by police. And finally they were caught thanks to science and police efforts. If they already had a database they would have done it quicklier.
Of course I remember it, as I remember the more recent murder in Macerata and Perugia happened in March, all very similar murders. And all committed by immigrants. As you know, or maybe not, when you renovate the resident permit, immigrants already have to record the fingerprints. And they were in Italy with regular permit. So they had already they fingerprints in a database...but as they weren't completely stupid, even children know that you must wear gloves when you want to do something of illegal like they did.

BTW, when the military was obbligatory, everybody called for the "three days checkup" had to record the fingerprints. And since 2010 if I'm not wrong, you leave the fingerprints when you ask for the passport
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #16409
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

The voting rights comes with the residence. So if your residence is in any EU country you can vote in the local elections (maybe you even get passive voting right) and you can vote to the EU parliament in that country (you also get passive voting right in that country). The voting to the national parliaments comes with citizenship. You can vote to the parliament in every country you are a citizen of.

By residence is meant a stay where is clear that you have an adress in given country etc. In most countries this is proven by being registered as resident by the authorities in a given country (it is can be compulsory to get register if you reside in a country for some time ... months). The right to reside for more than certain time can be conditioned on incomes or other things. What happens when the election comes and you are eligible to vote depends on the rules in that particular country. I think in most countries there comes also an invitation to the voting on the adress under which you are registered. You shoul also be automatically on the list of voters in the particular voting district you reside in if you have the right to vote in that particular elections. Being just resident, you need not excercise the completaly same rights as the long term residents or national in a given country, depends on very complicated EU and national laws.

The residence can be changed to long term residence after some amount of time that you live in the second country (after x years). I don't know if this right is unconditional. However, being long term resident you excercise virtually the same rights as national aside from the voting to the national parliaments, and several other situations maybe as secret or governmental service, army, etc.

Also the countries have rules about when you can become a national of given country when you are foreign resident. This is mostly again only after you have been residing for x years in a given country, or other conditions (e.g. marriage etc). This right is again conditional.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #16410
italystf

Quote:
Jail for what? Expired documents??
I meaned jailing generic criminals who uses fake documents, not just for expired documents off course.
Old October 7th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #16411
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
We also think that Mont Blanc is the highest in Europe because we 'forget' Caucasus or that the Po is the longest Italian river, forgetting where Drava/Drau source is.
wow! i never thought that Drava was longer than Po!
Old October 7th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #16412
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
I meaned jailing generic criminals who uses fake documents, not just for expired documents off course.
This already exists. Depends which fake documents are and for what you used them; a fake passport for to expat is punished till 4 years. If you fake a fishing license instead I guess you get just fined (jail for this would be stupid)
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #16413
italystf

Quote:

This already exists. Depends which fake documents are and for what you used them; a fake passport for to expat is punished till 4 years. If you fake a fishing license instead I guess you get just fined (jail for this would be stupid)
The falsification of every official document (not just identification documents but also every piece of paper or plastic that allow you to do or get something, including PT tickets, bank papers, autorizations for different things, medical recipes,...) is criminal offence. Criminal offence means that you are send to the court, tried and condemn to fine or jail if you result to be guilty (and not just fined like for traffic violations). If you're condemned for a criminal offence (even if not jailed) you get a bad note on your criminal records, that can be an obstacle for apply to certain jobs.

Off course only if you counterfeit important documents such passports or driving license you are arrested, certainly not for a train ticket even if it's still technically a crime.

Also substituting someone at a university exam is a criminal offence, I know some stories ended with cops in classroom (involving either twins or muslim girls with chador).
Old October 7th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #16414
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso
I'm ok with Columbus as long as you know about Vikings. They only discovered it for themselves. I'd also add that Columbus actually thought he'd discovered India. Anyone knows when it was found out it had actually been America?
I think not many years after 1492, maybe even Columbus itself had some doubts in the following years.
Old October 7th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #16415
Road_UK
BANNED

These days it'd be hard to miss.
Old October 7th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #16416
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
The voting rights comes with the residence. So if your residence is in any EU country you can vote in the local elections (maybe you even get passive voting right) and you can vote to the EU parliament in that country (you also get passive voting right in that country). The voting to the national parliaments comes with citizenship. You can vote to the parliament in every country you are a citizen of.

By residence is meant a stay where is clear that you have an adress in given country etc. In most countries this is proven by being registered as resident by the authorities in a given country (it is can be compulsory to get register if you reside in a country for some time ... months). The right to reside for more than certain time can be conditioned on incomes or other things. What happens when the election comes and you are eligible to vote depends on the rules in that particular country. I think in most countries there comes also an invitation to the voting on the adress under which you are registered. You shoul also be automatically on the list of voters in the particular voting district you reside in if you have the right to vote in that particular elections. Being just resident, you need not excercise the completaly same rights as the long term residents or national in a given country, depends on very complicated EU and national laws.

The residence can be changed to long term residence after some amount of time that you live in the second country (after x years). I don't know if this right is unconditional. However, being long term resident you excercise virtually the same rights as national aside from the voting to the national parliaments, and several other situations maybe as secret or governmental service, army, etc.

Also the countries have rules about when you can become a national of given country when you are foreign resident. This is mostly again only after you have been residing for x years in a given country, or other conditions (e.g. marriage etc). This right is again conditional.
What do you mean by "passive voting rights"?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #16417
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods

What do you mean by "passive voting rights"?
Right to be elected I guess.
Old October 8th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #16418
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
wow! i never thought that Drava was longer than Po!
I was gonna write 'of course it is', but now I see it's only slightly longer. In Slovenia we often forget that Mur(a) is quite a long river too.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 02:45 AM   #16419
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I googled Drava, I found this bridge. however, they named the photo "ferlacher strasse", which is not the case.

Edit: my bad. ferlacher Stausee.

http://sl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slika:F...4012008_66.jpg
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #16420
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I was gonna write 'of course it is', but now I see it's only slightly longer. In Slovenia we often forget that Mur(a) is quite a long river too.
its width made me confused. namely, i have seen Po at A14 and A21 bridges. it is very wide at both places, even wider by A21.
Drava at Osijek (so some 20 km before its mouth) is half of that width. that's what made me believe that Po was longer.

Tags
highways, motorways