daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2012, 12:22 AM   #16681
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
there is this huge media coverage only because this is happening in the states.
Make that "New York". It appears most Dutch media just translate the NY Times and publicize it in Dutch. I've been reading the NY Times from time to time and I found many topics about U.S. affairs in the Dutch media are just basically shortened and translated versions of what the NY Times writes.

I browse a few foreign news sites from time to time, including the NY Times, Houston Chronicle, LA Times, Jyllands-Posten and several German news sites like Focus or Der Westen. I like to stay informed beyond what the Dutch media serves.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:28 AM   #16682
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
of course it matters and we symphatize with you guys that are on the east coast, must be horrible. what keber tried to say is that there is this huge media coverage only because this is happening in the states. if it would be somewhere else, it wouldn't 'matter' so much.
I know. Of course, it's only today that we're starting to see things like towns covered in sand. First helicopter flyovers of the Shore were this afternoon; President's visiting New Jersey tomorrow.

I'm concerned about my mother; don't know how long she'll be without power.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:29 AM   #16683
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9150

Penn's, you got me completely wrong. I didn't say the floods, destruction and tragedy was fake. The only thing I said was the "shark swimming in the street" video was looking like fake. And think about it this way: Media should say how many thousands people need help... instead what they say is "Look! A shark! How odd!".
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:29 AM   #16684
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Make that "New York". It appears most Dutch media just translate the NY Times and publicize it in Dutch. I've been reading the NY Times from time to time and I found many topics about U.S. affairs in the Dutch media are just basically shortened and translated versions of what the NY Times writes.

I browse a few foreign news sites from time to time, including the NY Times, Houston Chronicle, LA Times, Jyllands-Posten and several German news sites like Focus or Der Westen. I like to stay informed beyond what the Dutch media serves.
Can you read Danish?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:30 AM   #16685
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
Penn's, you got me completely wrong. I didn't say the floods, destruction and tragedy was fake. The only thing I said was the "shark swimming in the street" video was looking like fake. And think about it this way: Media should say how many thousands people need help... instead what they say is "Look! A shark! How odd!".
I was snarking at Keber, really. (Or I would have said Bulgaria instead of Slovenia!)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:32 AM   #16686
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9150

I guess so, but I wrote it, becuase I was the one who used the word "fake", not him, and your post containing the same word was just after mine
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:34 AM   #16687
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

And I'll assume he wasn't aware of the extent of this. We're just getting the full picture in the last few hours. (See point about sand-inundated towns above.)

[EDIT:] Actually, I'll admit I too felt we were seeing too much New York yesterday - Philadelphia's much closer to the storm - but now I realize it's really bad up there (to state the obvious); we've come through surprisingly well, at least as far as I can tell.[END EDIT]

Enough said.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:35 AM   #16688
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Can you read Danish?
On a basic level. Not enough to pick up nuances and I need to translate certain words, but Danish has a lot in common with Dutch, English and German, languages which I can read with ease.
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:44 AM   #16689
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Meanwhile in Belarus

Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:45 AM   #16690
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Delaware Route 1 at the Indian River Inlet Bridge:
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:23 AM   #16691
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

As soon as temperatures dropped to 0°C, I caught cold (or even flu), so my trip to Istanbul will be crap.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:59 AM   #16692
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle

Me too. On the net I read BBC and ad.nl. Newspapers wise I read the Times and Tiroler Tagezeitung.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 06:36 AM   #16693
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Snippets from this evening's news:

Target date for power restoration in a lot of New Jersey is November 5. (I assume my mother's power is still out, as she's not answering the phone and the answering machine's not picking up. I did speak to her this morning - she called me on her cell phone - and my brother's three miles away from her and presumably checking on her. He went over there first thing this morning to check and clean up. I don't want to call her to conserve her cell battery, so I'm just left slightly concerned.)

20,000 to 25,000 people are "stranded" in Hoboken, N.J. (can't get out of their buildings because the streets are flooded thanks to the Hudson overflowing - only the National Guard has the equipment that can get down the narrow streets to reach them and it hasn't arrived yet).

Army Corps of Engineers has been called in to help drain flooded subway tunnels. (Flooding which, I gather, has never happened). Last time it had to do "something like this" (I'm not clear what "something like this" means...) was Katrina.

There are quite a few European countries with populations that are smaller (in some cases far smaller) than that of New York City alone, even without the suburbs. (8.3 million or so.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:47 AM   #16694
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

We have no heating at school today because of works. Guess who's going to school in a t-shirt
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 11:53 AM   #16695
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Google street view is finally availible in Slovakia!! Initialy there were only 15 towns to appear on Street view, however there is much more.

Lol, Slovak google street view

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..

Last edited by seem; October 31st, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:21 PM   #16696
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I hate flu. My whole body hurts.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:56 PM   #16697
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem
Google street view is finally availible in Slovakia!! Initialy there were only 15 towns to appear on Street view, however there is much more.

Lol, Slovak google street view
Welcome to the European Union 2012! The Bronx in the 80s looks like Beverly Hills compared to that!
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:03 PM   #16698
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

looks familiar with other places of the EU.
Gypsy rule
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:04 PM   #16699
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I'm suprised that they allow people to live in these places...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:08 PM   #16700
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've seen a report about a similar setup in Baia Mare, Romania. These derelict buildings often have no electricity or running water.

Tags
highways, motorways