daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #17121
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I also worked on a pre-MS DOS laptop from the early 1980s.
Hm, I thought you were younger :-)
I myself frequently used typewriters until mide 90's. I remember when my school recieved computers for the first time, typewriter-students broke PC keyboards within a week because of hitting them so strong as they used to hit classic mechanical typewriters :-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #17122
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Source: attus.hu; Click for large picture

I have used it for 4.5 years, drove 70,000 kms (~ 44,000 miles), mostly by myself, for long trips sometimes my friends drove it. Filled approx. 4,500 liter (~ 1,200 gallons) fuel.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #17123
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i also still have one mechanical writing machine somewhere at the garret. my mother was a typist and it wasfrom her school days.
i remember when she worked in the Post in 80es she had semi-mechanical typing machine. you didn't have to hit it strong, but the print was made mechanicaly. Olympia was the brand of machine who knows what they produce nowadays!
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #17124
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9150

We have two typewriting machines at my parents' home too, I have written numerous pages of essays, letters and other stuff on them. One of the machines is a real antiquity - Adler from the 30ies.
Actually at some remote villages and small towns in Bulgaria, police officers still use typewriters instead of computers. But at such places usually most of the paperwork is done by hand.
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 01:35 AM   #17125
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 02:48 PM   #17126
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Interesting. It took only 16 days for a train to deliver 50 containers from China into Czech republic. Thats half the time of the sea shipping.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 02:56 PM   #17127
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

At a much higher cost per ton probably.... I doubt whether the speed advantage of rail freight for intercontinental traffic can weigh against the large volume advantages of shipping.

But I presume there is a market for some commodities to be shipped by train along such distances, where time is money.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:11 PM   #17128
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Interesting. It took only 16 days for a train to deliver 50 containers from China into Czech republic. Thats half the time of the sea shipping.
I've read about 18 days from China to Germany using Polish PKP Cargo company and their train.

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:26 PM   #17129
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
I owned one, too,actually still have it. It has been inherited from my father and I used to write poetry on it, which I sent to some newspapers Though, my machine had a different layout to that one on the picture. It was so called QWERTZ, where 'Y' and 'Z' were switched to match Polish language requirements. We do not use 'Y' too often, so 'Z' appeared in more suitable location (I think).
Talking about QWERTY, it's actually a very poor design for Estonian language since Q, W, Z, Y, X and C aren't used at all, yet we have Ö, Ä, Ü and Ġ which all have to be reached by your right hand pinkie, quite uncomfortable indeed.
Estonian keyboard layout:

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; November 21st, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:32 PM   #17130
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Talking about QWERTY, it's actually a very poor design for Estonian language
It is a poor design tout court. QWERTY was adopted to slow the typing process, because in early typewriters the hammers got stuck together when the typist was too fast.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:57 PM   #17131
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 516

O common! I am so glad we have QWERTY keyboard in Poland. When I moved and start to work in NL then for US company, meanwhile in UK for some projects I was so happy Poland decided to take QWERTY back in 90' when first computers appear in PL.
Polish alphabet has more letters then Estonian... I guess. And there is no problem in Polish to type all of ours special characters And it's so easy to get used to QWERTY though...
Pity not other countries (Latin-1 and Latin-2) has the same keyboard...
One interesting thing! Do you know that the QWERTY laptops are more expensive than AZERTY in Belgium ?

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 04:14 PM   #17132
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
At a much higher cost per ton probably.... I doubt whether the speed advantage of rail freight for intercontinental traffic can weigh against the large volume advantages of shipping.

But I presume there is a market for some commodities to be shipped by train along such distances, where time is money.
Maybe, Chinese are quite busy with setting up rail routes through Kazakhstan. The original article on this one.

It doesnt seem to be so clear on the ship versus train costs. The train can also run from A to B without modal changes which saves on costs even further.
Also don't forget that the trains run on electricity and not oil, which can show more and more important, unless they would build nuclear container ships in the future.

http://richardtorian.blogspot.nl/201...-shipping.html

http://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/e...sttonmile.html
Old November 21st, 2012, 04:17 PM   #17133
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It is a poor design tout court. QWERTY was adopted to slow the typing process, because in early typewriters the hammers got stuck together when the typist was too fast.
The best layout should be Dvorak... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard
Old November 21st, 2012, 04:27 PM   #17134
Surel

Interesting figures and page about the China Europe freight rail plans.
http://www.psrail.com/figures.html
Old November 21st, 2012, 04:57 PM   #17135
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I don't want to open up a political issue, particularly one that's none of my business, but I know there are Spaniards on this forum and I have a question: BBC News last night had a report on a demonstration for Catalan independence that took place (broke out spontaneously? was planned? I don't know) at a Barça match. A lot of people were waving these flags: http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...endenc-008.jpg

My question is, what's the one with the blue in it? I thought it was Valencia, but it appears I was mistaken: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ba...iana_(2x3).svg
(And when I did think it was Valencia, I was surprised to see that.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 05:04 PM   #17136
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_independentism

Two versions of the same flag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estelada
History and meaning of the flag(s)
Old November 21st, 2012, 05:04 PM   #17137
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

That is the Catalan independentist flag. Those catalans are dumb, they don't know the day after they declare independence they will be bombed and invaded by Spain. I have written a hypothetical Spain vs Catalonia war, with the former winning, of course.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 05:10 PM   #17138
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_independentism

Two versions of the same flag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estelada
History and meaning of the flag(s)
Interesting. Did you know that when the Flemish Lion flag has black, rather than red, claws, it's the separatist version?* Which must make it hard to tell which version of the flag you're seeing (on TV among the spectators to a bike race, for example) unless you're close to it and the wind is calm....: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Flanders

*I realize the English Wikipedia article doesn't quite say that; I've heard that elsewhere. And the Dutch Wiki version does.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 21st, 2012, 05:14 PM   #17139
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
That is the Catalan independentist flag. Those catalans are dumb, they don't know the day after they declare independence they will be bombed and invaded by Spain. I have written a hypothetical Spain vs Catalonia war, with the former winning, of course.
Do you really think war would break out?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 21st, 2012, 05:18 PM   #17140
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Interesting. Did you know that when the Flemish Lion flag has black, rather than red, claws, it's the separatist version?* Which must make it hard to tell which version of the flag you're seeing (on TV among the spectators to a bike race, for example) unless you're close to it and the wind is calm....: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Flanders

*I realize the English Wikipedia article doesn't quite say that; I've heard that elsewhere. And the Dutch Wiki version does.

It reminds me of the Republic of Venice flag. When the Serenissima was at peace, St. Mark's lion had an open book between its paws:

when it was at war, the lion had a closed book and a sword:

howver, Italian wikipedia says that this was never codified...

Tags
highways, motorways