daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #17501
Lum Lumi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1531

That's because you're supposed to say "my car went into a skid", as opposed to saying "my car skid".
Lum Lumi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2012, 02:40 AM   #17502
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

"Skidded" is fine.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/skid

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #17503
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18300

I did a little bit of wobbling too this week when heavy snowing began just some 10 minutes before I drove off. So parts of the road was covered with snow, and also there was some ice underneath it.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #17504
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Just received some pictures from my parents in Timisoara

host images
Old December 8th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #17505
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

And a story posted on Facebook today

"Out of crisis, whims and nostalgy, the idea to butchering a pork for Christmas came to me, just like I remember they were doing it at our countryside.
Allright, my family wasn't doing it for Christmas, but weeks earlier, for St. Andrew's, because we wouldn't have the patience nor too much left in the pantry, so we couldn't wait until Ignat.
After I sharpened my knifes on the kitchen tiles and found some halloween straw decoration, forsaken by some neighbor in front of our house, i started seeking for pork. I first made an announcement in the internet, saying I'd like to buy, for sacrifice, medium size animal, up to 150kg. No one answered, but a lunatic who said he liked my ideas and, if I'd want to, we could sacrifice together, not one, even more than one pig. (made me think all crazy people left the real world and went online - but this is not part of my story).
As I asked my colleagues at work if they knew some living pig somewhere, they became very curious of what I might want to do with it, saying it would be to big to keep it as a pet, and too messy.
When I told them, I wanted to butcher it, they gazed surprised and started questioning W H Y.
For eating it, that's why, I answered, when every last drop of sympathy, tolerance or understanding that they had for me, disapeared.
How can you slaughter an animal and eat it? what a savage thing to do! As I was seeing they would be ready to call the PETA, I started to describe the process thoroughly, insisting
on the sectioning of the carotid and collecting the blood in a crocked enamel basin, in order to prepare it,
especially preparing the borîndău. I didn't know how to translate borîndău to English, just like I don't know how to translate
it in Romanian, but I explained it was some sort of corn flour porridge, boiled with blood instead of water.
I think about three more sensitive of them disapeared to the bathroom, and the rest - because by now the whole
department was surrounding me, for listening to my story - were watching me, some with pity, some disgusted.
Then, I continued, we roast the skin on straw flames, for the crackling, but if we live in a flat, we roast it
at the gas tank. We cut the animal's ears and eat them out right, with a little salt.
This sent some other two of them to the restroom, but I continued, being aware that I wouldn't catch such
an attentive audience any time soon, maybe ever. After epilating the animal with a flame, i continue, we split it with an
ax or a hatchet or anything similar that we find in reach. We take out the organs, boil them with the head, for preparing the
caltaboș. You know - I told them breezily - I think, for the caltaboș you must use the large intestine, optionally washed,
and boil it in water with onion, for masking the natural miasm.
They left in groups after this phrase, there were only three left listening, who had the strongest minds and
stomaches, I think, in fact, just two, because one of them was a korean who doesn't understand English too well
and wears his headphones all day long, but gets close to any group discussion, approving everything.
With the rest of the meat, I continued my story, we make sausages, barbecues and cabbage roulades, and if
the deceased was fat, we can also fry a pot of bacon to cut off some strength of the drinks.
I'd still say I took them easily, thinking of how I could have told them about how the hot dogs and the
baloney they stuff into themselves at lunch are made, I would have gotten the whole company into the hospital."
Old December 8th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #17506
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

This is how it goes. The pig is killed, minced and then stuffed back into itself (sausage). I'm going to such an event just before Christmas
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #17507
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Savages. I like pork though.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #17508
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

And how do you think the meat you eat comes from? The pig doesn't take it out himself
Old December 8th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #17509
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Old December 8th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #17510
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post

And how do you think the meat you eat comes from? The pig doesn't take it out himself
You could give him a gun. What about waiting till pigs die naturally? Old meat isn't good, right?
Old December 8th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #17511
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
You could give him a gun. What about waiting till pigs die naturally? Old meat isn't good, right?
What I know is that if you eat young (little) pig meat, that's actually worse then a grown pig, it contains more cholesterol.
Old December 8th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #17512
piotr71

Let's better back to the roads....and what we can eat, when travelling

Quote:
Roadkill cuisine is preparing and eating roadkill, animals hit by vehicles and found along roads.
It is a practice engaged in by a small subculture in the United States, Southern Canada, the United Kingdom and other Western countries as well as in other parts of the world. It is also a subject of humor and urban legend.

Source-wiki.
Old December 9th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #17513
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Hi all,

Haven't been here in years, I don't know how many of you remember me. I used to post pictures and videos of some highways in and around Sydney. A Google search for something semi-related brought me back here and reminded me about this place, and as I'm getting a new car soon (within the next 2 weeks or so) I thought it'd be a good opportunity to look at getting a camera securely fitted (instead of wedging it between the dashboard and the windscreen like I used to do) and post some more stuff on here. I didn't realise I missed this place until I remembered I'd been gone for years.

Anyway, don't let me get in the way of your discussion about eating roadkill.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #17514
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Dust art

Old December 9th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #17515
Verso
Islander

Impressive, you should drive with that in nice weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosteve View Post
Hi all,

Haven't been here in years, I don't know how many of you remember me. I used to post pictures and videos of some highways in and around Sydney. A Google search for something semi-related brought me back here and reminded me about this place, and as I'm getting a new car soon (within the next 2 weeks or so) I thought it'd be a good opportunity to look at getting a camera securely fitted (instead of wedging it between the dashboard and the windscreen like I used to do) and post some more stuff on here. I didn't realise I missed this place until I remembered I'd been gone for years.
Welcome back. Check out my Australian road trip from two years ago.

Last edited by Verso; December 9th, 2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old December 9th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #17516
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Welcome back. Check out my Australian road trip from two years ago.
Very nice. Some of those Queensland road signs gave me a chuckle -- never seen "TIRED DRIVERS DIE" down here in Sydney.

It was cool to see signage for the A1 in Queensland. That was still very recent at the time you posted those pictures; it would have been National Highway 1 (same symbol without the 'A') previously. NSW is switching over to alpha-numeric numbering next year, I think it's a huge improvement over the old system.

I was surprised to see that you encountered a lot of trucks going 120 km/h. They're supposed to be limited to 100 km/h (at least in NSW, I don't know if Queensland is different) and they usually stick to that in my experience.

I see you enjoyed the cuttings coming into Sydney. That freeway is one of the better roads around here, I think it's a marvelously engineered route through some unforgiving terrain. Sadly, Sydney is lacking in many other good roads .

The "complicated interchange" pictured from a bus isn't actually a very complicated interchange -- it's a slight variation on a half-diamond. It looks complicated from that angle because the elevated freeway to your right is leading into a cut-and-cover tunnel. There are a couple of ramps from the street below that connect them to the freeway. The top isn't part of the interchange at all, it's the top of the tunnel.

When I saw you were going from Cairns to Melbourne, I thought you'd be taking the A2/A39 and not the M1/A1/M31 from Brisbane to Seymour. Did you choose that route so you could take in Sydney?

Sorry for the sudden barrage of comments. I wish I could have commented on this before, but I don't want to quote a years-old post in that thread now.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #17517
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9150

If you open an roadkill restaurant on the Balkans, the most you will have on the menu will be stray dogs, eventually stray cats... And from time to time some hedgehog, snake or other small and not very eatable animal. Eating dogs and cats isn't very popular anyway, so this business doesn't look like very successful over here
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #17518
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
If you open an roadkill restaurant on the Balkans, the most you will have on the menu will be stray dogs, eventually stray cats... And from time to time some hedgehog, snake or other small and not very eatable animal. Eating dogs and cats isn't very popular anyway, so this business doesn't look like very successful over here
khm, here in HR it would be mostly hedgehogs, frogs and rats
Old December 9th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #17519
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

In the Netherlands it would be cows and clogs for dinner.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #17520
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Snow yesterday, rain today. All the white stuff will be gone...
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways