daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 9th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #17541
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

i have killed one Scotch Collie, one sparrow, few frogs, rats and mice and 3 or 4 cats. i feel horrible after it each time.
my brother-in-law killed roe. it was really messy since he beheaded her (and the head has pulled all internal organs after it - rarely discusting scene and smell)

edit: of course, i'm talking about road killing

Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #17542
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

I remember one time a hawk (possibly a buzzard) crossed flying the road where I was driving, just outside Bologna. It must have been not more than 5 meters away, 2 m above ground, just in front of my windshield. It looked absolutely amazing.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #17543
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Driving is not much fun here, just returned from Munich, and there is snow, and driving speed was 40-60 km/h on the A9, and much much traffic.
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #17544
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i have killed one Scotch Collie, one sparrow, few frogs, rats and mice and 3 or 4 cats.
I haven't run over anyone or anything mention-worthy. Once my father was driving and we ran over a snake. My dog was also run over.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #17545
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Are highways fully fenced in France? If so, it was surely abandoned on purpose by someone I'd call criminal.
The Gendarmes took me to the nearest toll point, where I was able to file a complaint. I lost my front numberplate, and toll operator SANEF took full responsibility.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #17546
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5863

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
now i rermembered my friend who hit a boar at autobahn near München. his Mercedes was destroyed.
Something similar happened to one of my cousins in Romania. He was driving trough a forest at 30 to 40km/h and a huge boar suddenly burst out of the forest and slammed into his passenger side door and somehow completely tore the door right off its hinges. The boar was not seriously hurt and quickly vanished back into the forest, but my cousin had to collect his torn up door and put it in the back seat.
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #17547
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
About trucks going 120 km/h: I probably exaggerated a bit. I usually drove about 105 km/h where speed limit was 100 km/h (depends on accuracy of the speedometer), so trucks that overtook me must've driven 110-115 km/h, which is still fast for trucks.
Ah, fair enough. At least when they overtake, it's better than the occasional truck driver that thinks it's OK to tailgate a vehicle one-tenth his truck's size. It's happened to me at least once, and it's a very scary experience knowing there's a huge piece of steel and freight weighing many tonnes just a few metres behind you at 110 km/h.

Quote:
The cuttings before Sydney were very impressive. But I forgot to take a photo of cuttings between both carriageways - those were most interesting to me. Like here.
Indeed, quite interesting. I guess they thought it made a convenient median divider.

Quote:
I took the M1/A1 because of Sydney and the coast of course. I'm not sure the A2/A39 is very interesting. But I took the M31 only to Goulburn, then I turned to Canberra and the coast (Princes Highway).
It's a pity you didn't go south from Sydney to Kiama, and then west to Canberra. The Kiama blowhole and Macquarie Pass are both definitely worth seeing (though Macquarie Pass only for road geeks).

This is Macquarie Pass: https://maps.google.com.au/?ll=-34.5...35148&t=p&z=15

Crossing the Illawarra Escarpment is never easy, and this is one of the steepest places with a road crossing. Which of course makes it an interesting drive.

I'll post a video of that road soon after I get my new car. Speaking of which, what do people here use to attach a camera to their car? I remember seeing a thread years ago on here about a device that attaches the camera securely, but I don't remember what it was called.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #17548
Road_UK
BANNED

Monti about to resign, Berlusconi to run for office again, and the stock markets plummets upon hearing this news.

How can this buffoon that nearly dragged the whole of Europe in a irrecoverable crisis be allowed to run for president again...
Old December 10th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #17549
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Monti about to resign, Berlusconi to run for office again, and the stock markets plummets upon hearing this news.
Monti resigned because one of his ministers said that "Berlusconi's comeback is bad for Italy". PDL withdrew its support to Monti so here we are.

Quote:
How can this buffoon that nearly dragged the whole of Europe in a irrecoverable crisis be allowed to run for president again...
He's got money.
He will be re-elected, trust me.
Old December 10th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #17550
Road_UK
BANNED

Great stuff, congratulations.
His comeback is not only bad for Italy, but indeed bad for the whole of Europe. I think we can all be certain of that.
Old December 10th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #17551
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Great stuff, congratulations.
His comeback is not only bad for Italy, but indeed bad for the whole of Europe. I think we can all be certain of that.
Some people in this forum asked me why I am always saying bad things about Italy and told me to stop. I think this speaks for itself.
Old December 10th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #17552
Road_UK
BANNED

Italy as a country is great. I love Italy and its people. But there are certain elements in any country that are just...

weird!

Anyway, don't be afraid to speak out on a forum, that is what a forum is for. You know me by now, I have cussed many countries down, including my own, and boy the stick I got! But some things has to be said, and who can say it better then a native?
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #17553
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I don't get politicians who are against austerity in a country with a high debt.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #17554
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Monti resigned because one of his ministers said that "Berlusconi's comeback is bad for Italy". PDL withdrew its support to Monti so here we are.

He's got money.
He will be re-elected, trust me.
I keep hearing that Monti was imposed by Brussels. Can someone remind me, as objectively as possible, exactly what happened? I'm not sticking my nose into Italian politics, just want to understand the facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
I don't get politicians who are against austerity in a country with a high debt.
Well, that's the whole Democratic-vs.-Republican argument that we just went through here. Pinch pennies and you get Greece and Portugal; stimulate the economy a bit and you get the U.S. We're not as healthy as we should be and we do need to deal with the debt, but we're in much better shape at this point than most of Europe. I'm not an economist, though....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #17555
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
Monti was pro-austerity but he just kept increasing taxation, and not reducing costs. As you might know, he issued a decree "re-organizing" provinces, merging some of them, but it's just the tip of the iceberg. He should have canceled all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I keep hearing that Monti was imposed by Brussels. Can someone remind me, as objectively as possible, exactly what happened? I'm not sticking my nose into Italian politics, just want to understand the facts.
Facts are difficult to get, especially in Italy, but it is kind of true. Monti in Italy is seen as expression of banks and "high powers", and in no way was a political figure.
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #17556
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I mean the actual mechanics of how he was inserted in the job: did Brussels (whoever "Brussels" is...) get a majority of Parliament to accept him somehow? Was there an actual vote of confidence?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #17557
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I mean the actual mechanics of how he was inserted in the job: did Brussels (whoever "Brussels" is...) get a majority of Parliament to accept him somehow? Was there an actual vote of confidence?
Brussel has no formal power to decide who is going to be PM in a sovereing country. But there are a lot of "informal ways" (read: blackmail) to get this job done. Of course we'll never get to know them.
Apparently during G20 in Cannes Berlusconi was urged by the others to resign or do something more to "save the country".
I don't know how Monti came into the job. We needed an international economist, Draghi was just appointed director of ECB, Padoa-Schioppa died recently... Monti was the only one left.

Last edited by g.spinoza; December 10th, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #17558
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Apparently during G20 in Cannes Berlusconi was urged by the others to resign or do something more to "save the country".
Quite right.
Old December 10th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #17559
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Aren't GPSes the brilliantest invention ever??

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...an-police.html

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 10th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #17560
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I was just reading it. My conclusion is: GPSes are a wonderful invention. Apple maps... less so.

Tags
highways, motorways