daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 22nd, 2012, 09:08 PM   #17881
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

The light stays green for 15 minutes, then it turns gray. Unless you log out, then it turns gray instantly, I think.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2012, 09:10 PM   #17882
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
You asked this like some Slovenian hillbilly. Correct is "znaš špansko?". Anyway, if you move your mouse to the green/grey light, it shows in Spanish. Now bogdymol no está en línea. Verso está invisible.
Sorry, it was Google Translator. I use Spanish as forum language, so maybe it's a bug in English version...
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 09:11 PM   #17883
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

@Verso So you just logged out?
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 09:17 PM   #17884
Verso
Islander

No, I'm invisible.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 09:20 PM   #17885
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

He bought Harry Potter's cloak when they auctioned the props.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 12:02 AM   #17886
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods
BBC World News' five-minute sports report (sport report, if you prefer) just showed highlights from a soccer match in Australia. Thought soccer was about as important in Australia as it is here. :-P

Of course, they then moved on to cricket....
What is the attitude of Americans towards soccer? Is really so unpopular or with the globalization is gettin more and more popular (especially during World Cups, the USA hosted the 1994 edition)?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 12:32 AM   #17887
Verso
Islander

Globalization is mostly Americanization.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 01:32 AM   #17888
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
What is the attitude of Americans towards soccer? Is really so unpopular or with the globalization is gettin more and more popular (especially during World Cups, the USA hosted the 1994 edition)?
Well, people play soccer, but as a professional sport that people watch, it has competition, because we have our own sports that are long-established, rivalries between teams or universities or cities that are long-established. And it comes and goes. There was the...what was it called, the NASL?...when I was a teenager - I went to a couple matches of the New York Cosmos - but it failed. Now there's a professional league again, but.... If you hear an American talk about the "four major sports," they're baseball, (American) football, basketball and (ice) hockey. Although I believe hockey's on strike this winter. ("I believe," because I've never actually cared about hockey, so I'm not sure.)

There's some soccer, mostly European, on TV, and some Spanish-language channels carry Latin American, or at least Mexican matches. When you're watching sports on, say, ESPN, and they show scores on the bottom of the screen they'll now include soccer scores (our league, Mexico's, the Premier League, maybe Spain and Italy...) Just because I pay attention to Europe, I can name plenty of top European teams, quite a few in certain countries, even if I know nothing else about them; but I can name just two North American professional teams.

Some sports bars advertise that they've got soccer on and they'll get crowds for important matches and the World Cup, but I think a lot of that is, say, British expats gathering to watch and English team in the Champions League.

People do pay attention to the World Cup, but, that's as frequent as the Olympics....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Globalization is mostly Americanization.
If anything, at least on the topic of sports and at least from my point of view, there's the opposite idea: that Americans ought to conform to the rest of the world on this. I remember lots of people in the media (and I'm talking Americans) during the '94 World Cup picking on us for not being as soccer-happy as Europeans, because it meant we weren't good citizens of the world. Which rubbed me the wrong way: I've studied enough languages, read enough European history, kept up with enough European news, gone to enough European films, and so on, that I don't need anyone telling me I'm not international enough, thank you. And we get a new round of that (although not as intense) every World Cup. I don't see anything wrong with this country having its own sports and anything wrong with Americans liking American sports. And there are plenty of public people - mostly right-wing media types but not entirely* (I'm not right-wing, at least by American standards, myself) who have the same reaction/opinion.

So for me, it just takes the form of making fun of Europeans' soccer obsession whenever the occasion arises. :-) I make fun of cricket too, but that's because it's silly. :-P When the Six Nations rugby tournament shows up on BBCAmerica, on the other hand, I'll actually watch it.

*Keith Olbermann - Americans will be familiar with the name, and right-wingers will probably start spitting... - was outspoken about this when it came up. I don't know if it was just because he was a baseball nut....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 23rd, 2012, 01:41 AM   #17889
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Although - troll mode on - isn't the prevalence of soccer in much of the world actually a lingering after-effect of British imperialism? - troll mode off.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 23rd, 2012, 02:00 AM   #17890
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods
Although - troll mode on - isn't the prevalence of soccer in much of the world actually a lingering after-effect of British imperialism? - troll mode off.
It's probably one of the reasons of the unpopularity of that sport in America. When Brits invented it in the XIX century, UK and USA weren't exactly friends (independence gained recently) so probably Americans tried to distinguish themselves from their former colonizers, including in sports.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 02:11 AM   #17891
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Well, soccer's not that big in Canada either, or in Australia or New Zealand as far as I know. I'm guessing it's less a matter of consciously distinguishing ourselves from Britain than of soccer's just not catching on here. (Why it became more popular on the Continent, let alone in Latin America, than in actual British colonies (at the time) like Canada, I have no idea....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 23rd, 2012, 02:11 AM   #17892
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

FIFA World Cup of 1994 still holds the record for largest overall attendance record, by far and large, of all times, even if it was still played by only 24 national teams before they expanded to 32 from 1998 (thus adding 12 additional matches to the tournament!)
Old December 23rd, 2012, 02:15 AM   #17893
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

That surprises me!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:42 AM   #17894
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
So your lesson for today is: never try
I'm depressed enough.

My lesson is: try harder. Or at least kill everybody better than me.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 02:07 PM   #17895
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

I collected my new car on Thursday. I've driven about 500 km in it so far, just around Sydney to get used to the vehicle. It's pretty smooth to drive, and has a really comfortable interior.

I haven't yet tried fitting a camera to it so I can post videos of Sydney roads, but that's coming Real Soon Now.

Some pictures of the car (the lighting is pretty bad):

Also, the E-Tag we use to pay tolls electronically over here (I'm not sure how many other countries have something similar):

Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 02:11 PM   #17896
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosteve
Also, the E-Tag we use to pay tolls electronically over here (I'm not sure how many other countries have something similar):
There's in Italy too and it's called Telepass.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 02:33 PM   #17897
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I only ate a pancake, it looked really good, but unfortunately didn't taste so good as it looked, and it was very hot, was microwave warmed.
We did stop to eat in an underground place under the Danish Embassy, although the girl the girl who took orders was very bored, didn't seem to know much English, and for whatever reason didn't want to bring to one of us beer, but brought to other tables, food was nice and price was good.
It wasnt really a pancake, but Lokša, which is more similar to something like Markook or Yufka. Maybe it has Turkish orgin who knows.

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 02:35 PM   #17898
bgd77

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosteve View Post
I collected my new car on Thursday.
Very nice car! Congratulations!

Is it a VW Golf or Polo? Do you know where it was produced?
bgd77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 03:39 PM   #17899
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
There's in Italy too and it's called Telepass.
Not really. This is E-Tag toll "station":

Now compare that to any Telepass toll station.

@Robosteve: in Europe there are some countries, which use such system, mostly for trucks and buses.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 03:54 PM   #17900
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber
@Robosteve: in Europe there are some countries, which use such system, mostly for trucks and buses.
Germany?

Tags
highways, motorways