daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #17921
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods

Eating roadkill's legal in Tennessee (and I have no idea about any place else - it's just that Tennessee got a lot of attention, i.e. jokes from Northerners, when they legalized it a few years ago), so maybe it's something aboiut being in the southeast of...whatever larger entity you're in?
Are there a lot of North vs South rivalries/jokes/stereothypes in the USA?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #17922
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post

Are there a lot of North vs South rivalries/jokes/stereothypes in the USA?
The southerners eat grits for breakfast. The northerners believe that this is the reason that they have lost the Civil War.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #17923
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Personally, there are times I believe Lincoln should have just said "good riddance." But that wouldn't have helped the slaves....

That remark was a bit tongue-in-cheek. I don't like (as you may have noticed :-) ) stereotyping entire populations. But that region does seem to have more than its share of nuts, enough so that even non-nut politicians are afraid of them.

I better stop now. Have to do that shopping anyway. I'll ponder gift ideas while I take a bath, then go out, and hope my cold doesn't get any worse.

Later!

PS to Road_UK: grits are brilliant.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #17924
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods
Personally, there are times I believe Lincoln should have just said "good riddance." But that wouldn't have helped the slaves....

That remark was a bit tongue-in-cheek. I don't like (as you may have noticed :-) ) stereotyping entire populations. But that region does seem to have more than its share of nuts, enough so that even non-nut politicians are afraid of them.

I better stop now. Have to do that shopping anyway. I'll ponder gift ideas while I take a bath, then go out, and hope my cold doesn't get any worse.

Later!

PS to Road_UK: grits are brilliant.
So it looks like there is still a lot of stigmatization towards certain US states. Does it refer only to the Southeast (former Confederacy) or also to the Southwest?
Are those states really so different from the North in terms of way of life and economy?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #17925
Orionol
Mötesplatsen

Likes (Received): 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Beat me to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Merry Christmas ho ho ho.

About an hour ago I got out of my van, fell over an icy patch and hurt my arm. Going tits over arse on a busy street is not very good for my street creds ;-)
Old December 24th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #17926
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Santa is on his way...
When is Santa coming to Slovenia? I should buy him a programmed GPS like Garfield.

Anyway, Merry Christmas (vesel Božič) to everyone.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #17927
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Verso became catholic thanks! Enjoy christmas eve everybody! :cheers
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #17928
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
Verso became catholic
Old December 24th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #17929
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

When is Santa coming to Slovenia?
He's not. You've all been naughty.
Old December 24th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #17930
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

maybe Road_UK is driving Santa around Europe in his van and this is why Santa won't be coming here
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #17931
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Shopping's done!

We now have a Le Pain quotidien here; I'd never been in there before today. On my way out, I noticed the "Push" sign on the door was in five languages, the second of them being Dutch.

That's for our Dutch and Flemish friends, to make up for the fact that I wasn't sure how to say Merry Christmas earlier.

Now, I have a cold, and shall proceed to take a nap.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #17932
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
http://maps.google.it/maps?q=latisan...98.13,,0,11.06
It's a "T" intersection with 3 branches and so it must have only a stop sign. The traffic in what is regarded as main road should flow freely in both directions. Traffic from the secondary branch must give priority. Have you ever see a 3 branches intersection with stop signs on 2 branches? It make no sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Yes, actually I think there's one such intersection in Ljubljana. I don't get it.
Somewhat late reply, but I recently drove there and yes, there's definitely such an intersection in Ljubljana. It's here (the one in the middle, between Trpinčeva ulica and Chengdujska cesta). The only priority road is the upper one (Chengdujska cesta), while both sides of Trpinčeva ulica (left and right) have the yield signs when reaching Chengdujska cesta. I don't know why they did it like that, but I have a possible explanation. The upper road is the most important one (hence it has priority) and also the only one with road markings (the other two are somewhat narrow). There are many drivers coming from (or going to) the upper road and turning left or right, but there aren't many drivers going from left to right or vice versa. The second most important road is the left one (and the right one the least important). But if you turned the upper and the left road into one priority road, that would mean that someone coming from the upper road and turning left (to the right road) would have to yield to drivers coming from the right (from the left road) and perhaps they didn't want that. If you turned the upper and the right road into one priority road, you would change absolutely nothing in practice (just imagine all possible combinations, there's no difference). So I think it's better to leave it as it is than to give the impression that the right road is more important than the left one, because it isn't.

I don't know about the Italian case, but it looks similar, except that it's not in the "T" shape (it's a "Y" intersection) and there's also a backyard on the left that you can turn to.
Old December 26th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #17933
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
By the way, a question: are there vehicular ferries between OZ and NZ?
Not that I know of. People usually fly between the two countries.

Quote:
Is it common to spot cars from one country in the other?
I've never been to NZ myself, but I don't think I've ever seen a NZ car here in the 13 years I've lived here.

Quote:
Can you use your Australian driver's license in NZ long-term and vice-versa?
I doubt it. You can't even use a licence from one AU state in another state long-term; if you move there, you're expected to get a licence in the new state.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #17934
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9098

What's the procedure of getting a new driving licence in case of removal to another state? May you just change your old one for new in your city/county council? Being forced to pass an exam again seems quite silly...

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 05:36 AM   #17935
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajKeR_ View Post
What's the procedure of getting a new driving licence in case of removal to another state? May you just change your old one for new in your city/county council? Being forced to pass an exam again seems quite silly...
At least in NSW, you can exchange a licence from another state for a NSW licence with the same expiry date. Passing a test again isn't required.

It already seems a bit silly to me; if you can easily exchange one state's licence for another, why not just have a national licence?
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #17936
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Is it common to spot cars from one country in the other?
I've spotted in Romania one motocycle and one car registered in Australia.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #17937
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

New Zealand is over 2 000 kilometers from Australia. It would be the same as seeing a Libyan car in Poland.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #17938
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
New Zealand is over 2 000 kilometers from Australia. It would be the same as seeing a Libyan car in Poland.
Actually, the shortest distance is 1491 km.
Old December 26th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #17939
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Today it's 1 C raining and fog, bad weather conditions for driving.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #17940
Road_UK
BANNED

Don't look that bad. At least the roads are clear.

Tags
highways, motorways