daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #18181
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

What a load of crap! What about the Middle East? Africa? Nazi Germany? Most Americans live ordinary lifes.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #18182
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
What a load of crap! What about the Middle East? Africa? Nazi Germany? Most Americans live ordinary lifes.
An I said they didn't? maybe re-read what I wrote.
Old January 4th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #18183
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post

An I said they didn't? maybe re-read what I wrote.
I know what you wrote. And I'm surprised that nobody takes any notice of the way they keep killing each other in the Middle East or parts of Africa, but comment on America instead, where most people live peaceful life's with jobs and families and where they worry if they can keep up with mortgage payments. Just like in Europe.
Old January 4th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #18184
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Also American foreign policies after 9/11 but also before (Cold War, Vietnam, Iraq,...) have been seen in Europe as a proof that "America is violent". However, those are only decisions of a central goverment and shouldn't made the majority of citizens guilty for that (I'm sure that most American citizens are against the war and the exploitation of poor countries committed by US companies).
I'm not so sure about that.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #18185
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK

I know what you wrote. And I'm surprised that nobody takes any notice of the way they keep killing each other in the Middle East or parts of Africa, but comment on America instead, where most people live peaceful life's with jobs and families and where they worry if they can keep up with mortgage payments. Just like in Europe.
Because if people kill each other or are tortured/imprisoned in Rwanda, Congo or North Korea Western media don't give a single f... while when those things happens in oil-loaded countries with NATO involved they talk 24-7. And off course the average uninformed citizen has no clue of who is the real evil.

Apart from that, the USA became a really free and democratic country much later than most Western Europe countries. Until the 60s blacks and whites were segregated in some states. Many western politicians were denied the entry visa because of their leftist ideals. Homosexualiy and even bl...ob among eterosexual couples was illegal in some states until not so long ago. However Obama is now really very estimated in the world because of his propension to peace and welfare state. This will surely decrease anti-american feelings in Europe, that were higher during G.W.Bush.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #18186
piotr71

Let me try to change the subject. I suppose that it could be interesting for either Flemish people or an American called Micheal. Hopefully for both.

I do not think you may remember when I mentioned about (2 or 3 years ago) a Germanic minority, who settled in Southern Poland in XIII century. They live in a small town called Wilamowice and still use a language, which is related to Dutch, Saxon, Frisian and some Low German dialects.

When I was very young and used to go to Wilamowice with my parents to buy a bread, only of its kind, made by Vilamovians, I could hear them speaking in unknown to me language. Now, Vilamovian - as it is called in English - is almost extinct. Some sources say that only 70 people use it on every day basis, other say that there is still about 500 speakers, what I find hard to believe.

Anyway, why am I writing about this language again? Vilamovian was heard all over the world thanks to the chap on the picture below:

How come? Vilamovian imitates Old-Flemish language in Polish production "Młyn i Krzyż" (The Mill and The Cross). The film has been bought by 55 countries and a couple of very well known actors play in.
It is inspired by Pieter Bruegel the Elder's art "Stations of the cross".

Want to hear some 4 minutes of Vilamovian?
Here you are:

Last edited by piotr71; January 4th, 2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: corrected some incorrectly translated information
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #18187
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

There are two villages in the mountains of Friuli region, Italy, where unique languages are spoken by few hundreds of people:
- Sauris: they speak a German dialect related to the Tyroler but with Latin elements.
- Resia: they speak a Slovenian dialect that isn't spoken anywhere else.

There are Albanian and Greek speakers in many areas of Southern Italy, Croats in Molise and Catalans in Alghero (Sardinia). Not due recent immigrations, they're there for centuries.

I think linguistic islands are pretty common in Europe.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #18188
piotr71

I did not say they are (linguistic islands) uncommon or this one is unusual for European scale. However, Vilamovian is unique for Poland and might be interesting for Dutch speaking nations.
Old January 4th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #18189
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

I can understand some words he says but damn that's bad articulation! Seems more related to German than Dutch though.
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #18190
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Maybe thats the point. Maybe they should worry more about what their government is doing as you should worry more about what your government is doing.

I would not go into Middle East an US comparisons and discussions... certainly not if I wanted to make a point about how the Americans are unrightfully bashed.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #18191
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
[youtube]ql2E9bOpw2E[/youtube]
It would be more interesting, if he weren't mumbling.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #18192
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

It is normal that some languages go extinct over time. There is actually an exciting (if very small) science field using quantitative models to evaluate and study things like language die-out, or other cultural trends that cannot be easily changed by imposition or decree or force (such as declared religion).

Language is a good proxy for studying these phenomena on ancient times (pre-mass and long distance communication a.k.a radio/telegraph).

In a nutshell, small languages not transmitted through formal education and not used by some sort of government/military/religious/warlord bureaucracy suffer from problems of scale. Statisticians are going deep into earlier descriptive studies to test some models.

Languages spoken by a handful of people, let alone just a few hundred, will naturally die out as those languages don't serve their purpose: allowing widespread communication with people you need to communicate with for your regular life affairs. It might have worked in the past with no TV, newspapers, extremely localized economies and population that hardly if ever traveled (on average). Not the case today.

===================

As for the overall bitterness of the H&A forum: for some reason, there are a handful of forummers getting more and more aggressive over last few months. Apparently disagreeing about some signage or traffic law has become reason to have your sanity, age, nationality, moral character called into question. Too much paranoia for no reason, and has been making this sub-section of SSC more annoying over time, you never know if writing the "wrong" opinion in the eye of someone else will render the other forumer attacking your person.
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #18193
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post

Maybe thats the point. Maybe they should worry more about what their government is doing as you should worry more about what your government is doing.

I would not go into Middle East an US comparisons and discussions... certainly not if I wanted to make a point about how the Americans are unrightfully bashed.
I don't have a government. I follow Dutch, British, USA and French politics. I have a Dutch passport, but have lived in 4 different countries. Am semi English and now live in Austria . I am a wanderer.
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #18194
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
It would be more interesting, if he weren't mumbling.
That's true. However, that young gentleman is pretty interesting himself. He decided to save the language of his predecessors, learnt it to the high proficiency level, teaches other teenagers, convinced a film director to use it in his production and appears from time to time in Polish media as well as wins some science awards. He's just 18 or 19...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
(..)

As for the overall bitterness of the H&A forum: for some reason, there are a handful of forummers getting more and more aggressive over last few months. Apparently disagreeing about some signage or traffic law has become reason to have your sanity, age, nationality, moral character called into question. Too much paranoia for no reason, and has been making this sub-section of SSC more annoying over time, you never know if writing the "wrong" opinion in the eye of someone else will render the other forumer attacking your person.
I do agree indeed!

Last edited by piotr71; January 4th, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #18195
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
It is normal that some languages go extinct over time. There is actually an exciting (if very small) science field using quantitative models to evaluate and study things like language die-out, or other cultural trends that cannot be easily changed by imposition or decree or force (such as declared religion).

Language is a good proxy for studying these phenomena on ancient times (pre-mass and long distance communication a.k.a radio/telegraph).

In a nutshell, small languages not transmitted through formal education and not used by some sort of government/military/religious/warlord bureaucracy suffer from problems of scale. Statisticians are going deep into earlier descriptive studies to test some models.

Languages spoken by a handful of people, let alone just a few hundred, will naturally die out as those languages don't serve their purpose: allowing widespread communication with people you need to communicate with for your regular life affairs. It might have worked in the past with no TV, newspapers, extremely localized economies and population that hardly if ever traveled (on average). Not the case today.

===================

Not me, I've always stayed the same. But I feel that this subforum is slowly dying due to excessive moderation. Interesting debates are swiftly being deleted in order to protect off topic conversations and make room for photography of every junction of motorways that nobody with a right mind would bother to look at.
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #18196
piotr71

Well, it sounds like the mind of mine is not right
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #18197
Road_UK
BANNED

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a lot of these travel reports, and I've enjoyed your UK photo reports in bad weather. Even though I am on these motorways myself every day. And I take photos myself, but not of every road sign at every single junction. It's too much, pointless and totally takes away the fun of driving.
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #18198
D.O.W.N
Problem?

Likes (Received): 49

Slovak Google Street View will never stop entertaining us

It´s "The roadside rest area" thread anyway

Celebrate 20 years of Slovakia´s indenpendence!
D.O.W.N no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #18199
D.O.W.N
Problem?

Likes (Received): 49

Slovak Google Street View will never stop entertaining us

It´s "The roadside rest area" thread anyway

Celebrate 20 years of Slovakia´s indenpendence!
D.O.W.N no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 01:38 AM   #18200
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Is taking note and registering tag/plates legal or not (in your jurisdiction)?

On this day and age of people tracking things like Eurobill notes, airplane registration codes, train serial numbers, ship names etc., I think maybe someone would, if already haven't, set up a website where you can register the registration tags of cars you come across, just for the fun.

Should be fairly easy with a smartphone and an app: you take like 20 pics or cars parked in your street, upload them, some OCR (basic stuff at this level nowadays) match them with other trackers and then you suddenly know where certain car was parked :p
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways