daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2013, 01:49 AM   #18201
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

^privacy issues
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #18202
bogdymol
bogdymod

^ public streets
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #18203
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
^privacy issues
At least in Italy, it's not possible for the general public to trace a plate to its owner. So no privacy issues at all.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #18204
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3446

i have a mobile app where you enter plate number and you get information about insurance of that car. if you allow locating your phone, it will sign sign on the map where the search has been performed. so it can be so-so accurate since you rarely check number provisionaly, in most cases you see it and search for it.

here is an online version of it: http://www.huo.hr/eng/insurance-enquiry/45/
(date of accident - put today's or yesterday's date)

that app is made to chech the status of insurance of the cars. it is incredible how many cars are actually uninsured on the roads.
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #18205
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type
i have a mobile app where you enter plate number and you get information about insurance of that car. if you allow locating your phone, it will sign sign on the map where the search has been performed. so it can be so-so accurate since you rarely check number provisionaly, in most cases you see it and search for it.

here is an online version of it: http://www.huo.hr/eng/insurance-enquiry/45/
(date of accident - put today's or yesterday's date)

that app is made to chech the status of insurance of the cars. it is incredible how many cars are actually uninsured on the roads.
You don't have a mandatory insurance sticker to put in your windshield that allow everybody to check the expiration date on parked vehicles?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #18206
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
You don't have a mandatory insurance sticker to put in your windshield that allow everybody to check the expiration date on parked vehicles?
we do have it. but there is also this app.
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #18207
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Not every country has that. In Germany it's not mandatory.
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #18208
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
At least in Italy, it's not possible for the general public to trace a plate to its owner. So no privacy issues at all.
I stand corrected: it is possible to trace a plate to the owner, you just have to go to ACI (Automobile Club d'Italia) and pay 5.62€.
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #18209
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

You can check the specification of a car in the Netherlands, but not private data, like the name of the owner or where it is registered.

For instance, my car:

You can see the car specs, the fuel type, inspection date, when I registered it to my name, that it is insured, that I paid no purchase tax (vans up to my van's year were exempt from the 42% purchase tax) and that the vehicle has never been recalled for any manufacturing errors.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #18210
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza

I stand corrected: it is possible to trace a plate to the owner, you just have to go to ACI (Automobile Club d'Italia) and pay 5.62€.
This fee is probably charged to avoid people doing that "just for fun", like it would happen if there was a free website.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old January 5th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #18211
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Not every country has that. In Germany it's not mandatory.
Yes, the systems vary among countries.

In Finland, no stickers are in use, for any purpose. A registered active vehicle is always insured: It is not possible to get a vehicle registered without buying an insurance, and it is not possible to get rid of the insurance fees without unregistering the vehicle or registering it passive. (Passive=registered, license plate, no tax payable, no mandatory insurance, driving prohibited.)

A passive vehicle seen in the traffic will be caught soon. All the police vehicles (including boats) have an online-access to the vehicle register, and many of those are equipped with an automated licence-plate scanner.
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #18212
x-type
con los terroristas

i think that insurance is conditio sine qua non in every country if you want to have your vehicle registered.
here in HR if you don't make yearly registration and if you don't cancel your registration plates, you get fine in 2-4 weeks. but there are always people driving with unregistered or uninsured vehicles. i had an accident with one of them 3 years ago, he ran away, but i called the police, gave them exact description of the vehicle and they have found him in 2 hours.
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #18213
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18311

Do you know the difference between ESP and ASR? I googled a litlle, but I'm not that sure, and one guy even told me it's the same. My car only has ASR and it bugs me...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #18214
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type
i think that insurance is conditio sine qua non in every country if you want to have your vehicle registered.
here in HR if you don't make yearly registration and if you don't cancel your registration plates, you get fine in 2-4 weeks. but there are always people driving with unregistered or uninsured vehicles. i had an accident with one of them 3 years ago, he ran away, but i called the police, gave them exact description of the vehicle and they have found him in 2 hours.
Did he repaid you? Do you know what penalities and legal consequence did he face? Do you know if he was an already known criminal, maybe a gypsy or illegal immigrant?

A guy I know who lives near Milan was hit by a van, that suddenly escaped. His car was destroyed and he was injured too. He called an ambulance and the police but they never managed to catch him. If caugh, he could have faced jail sentence.
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #18215
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Do you know the difference between ESP and ASR? I googled a litlle, but I'm not that sure, and one guy even told me it's the same. My car only has ASR and it bugs me...
it's not the same.
ASR is system that prevents slipping on slippery surface. let me explain: imagine that you want to start moving at ice. ASR will prevent wheels turning too fast without effect on moving the car. let's say that is works at the same basis as ABS, but difference is that ABS is working while braking, and ASR is working while accelerating.

ESP is system that detects losing the contact of wheels with the road, brakes each wheel separately and in that way it regulates brunt and lets the vehicle to remain stabile in critical situations (such as sudden maneuver or similar). i think it also effects the power and reduced throttle, but i'm not sure.
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #18216
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
ASR is Traction Control: it controls the engine output in order to avoid the traction wheels spinning when too much torque is applied on a low friction surface. It simply cuts power to the engine until the wheels regain adherence.

ESP is a more complex device which integrates ABS, ASR and other functions into a single device, and controls directly the brake force applied to any single wheel.
It works on a network of sensors including single-wheel rotation speed, the steering angle, X-Y-Z accelerometers, position of the pedals, gear engaged.
The main difference between the previously existing driving aids: while ABS and ASR worked just passively, correcting inputs from the drivers (when possible), ESP is an active device since it can operate the single car components whenever it feels necessary.
It can brake a single wheel even if the driver is not depressing the brake pedal, it can cut or enhance the engine torque output, latest models can even rotate the steering wheel on their own.
The aim is keeping the vehicle on the path the driver intended to follow.

Example: the car is oversteering (going straight on a curve) => ESP cuts the engine and brakes the rear internal wheel, so that the car will spin around it and be forced into the curve.
This is something beyond what even a professional can do, since the car is not built to have direct controls of every single wheel.

Modern ESPs intergrate a lot of functions, due to the network of sensors and actuators linked to a single unit with large calculation power:
- keeping brake pressure, so to keep the vehicle from moving when stopped in traffic (integrated with but different from electric handbrake)
- applying full brake force after a crash, avoiding the out of control vehicle to hit more things
- torque vectoring driving profiles...

I had torque vectoring on my Giulietta and it was great: it brakes the internal front wheel to counterbalance understeer and "close" the curve, it was great fun. Ford is working on something similar.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #18217
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Did he repaid you? Do you know what penalities and legal consequence did he face? Do you know if he was an already known criminal, maybe a gypsy or illegal immigrant?

A guy I know who lives near Milan was hit by a van, that suddenly escaped. His car was destroyed and he was injured too. He called an ambulance and the police but they never managed to catch him. If caugh, he could have faced jail sentence.
i had not much damage (only left mirror - bought it for 20€), but i was completely mad and pissed off when he ran away. if he would have stopped and seen what happened, i would probably say "look pal, don't worry, be more careful next time, i don't have much damage". but he has chosen wrong way. when police came, i told them "i want you to check all bordeaux red Seat Cordobas 5dr model up to 1999, starting with younger production years". policemen were little bit astonished, but i am good in giving details about cars
i didn't ask for repaying me the damage since it was really minor, but at the court i found out that he has been accused for:
-driving without valid licence
-driving the car without valid technical inspection
-driving drunk (he had 1,2 %o vol. alc. or something like that)
-running away from the place of accident
-causing the accident
and there were 2 more items, i don't remember it too well. if he was accused to be guilty for all that, he could probably get fined for few thousands of euros.
i don't know his past, but that i found out that he was unemployed, social problems and that stuff. i was sorry after finding it out, but the guy was completely stupid while ran away.
Old January 5th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #18218
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i had not much damage (only left mirror - bought it for 20€), but i was completely mad and pissed off when he ran away. if he would have stopped and seen what happened, i would probably say "look pal, don't worry, be more careful next time, i don't have much damage". but he has chosen wrong way. when police came, i told them "i want you to check all bordeaux red Seat Cordobas 5dr model up to 1999, starting with younger production years". policemen were little bit astonished, but i am good in giving details about cars
i didn't ask for repaying me the damage since it was really minor, but at the court i found out that he has been accused for:
-driving without valid licence
-driving the car without valid technical inspection
-driving drunk (he had 1,2 %o vol. alc. or something like that)
-running away from the place of accident
-causing the accident
and there were 2 more items, i don't remember it too well. if he was accused to be guilty for all that, he could probably get fined for few thousands of euros.
i don't know his past, but that i found out that he was unemployed, social problems and that stuff. i was sorry after finding it out, but the guy was completely stupid while ran away.
Bastard... he would probably have ran away even if there was a dying person in the car he crashed against. Some people should be banned from driving forever.
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #18219
italystf

I didn't know they have Street View in India.
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #18220
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
oh, you have discovered La Cañada Real one of the most famous slams of EU

Tags
highways, motorways