daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 10th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #18321
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

I heard on the radio this evening that more and more counterfeit money is in Germany, especially 20 euro bills.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #18322
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx
I heard on the radio this evening that more and more counterfeit money is in Germany, especially 20 euro bills.
Ironically, shopkeepers put them in the drawer without even looking at them, while they are very suspicious when they get large notes that are almost never forged.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #18323
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
They could leave one side equal for everybody and the other different from every country, representing a monument, a symbol or a historical person of that country. Just keep the colour the same to avoid confusion.
I don't think that would be good idea. We have national coins (with numerous commemorative issues) and that should be enough. Imagine how difficult would be for someone to think if the banknote is real or forged while considering at least 140 different national sides. They better stay on the coins only because they are rarely forged because of their low value.

@shopkeepers: in a market where I'm doing my regular grocery shopping (the biggest in Slovenia), all cashiers check all banknotes (from 5€ onward) that they receive with their hands.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #18324
keber

Meanwhile in my car:

It should last at least next 100,000 km.
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #18325
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Hope it won't do like Marshall's Fiero from How I met your mother...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #18326
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

^ as long as it doesn't become too expensive to maintain, it should last. my car has 315k and last year I did last big service. as soon as something goes wrong I won't be driving it anymore.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #18327
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=132556196906142
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #18328
italystf

I once saw 470k on a bus odometer.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #18329
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
That guy is my hero
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #18330
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
That is nothing. I know a bus driver who managed to reset the odometer back to 0! And I have a photo with 500k.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #18331
keber

Quote:
When my father bought an used truck (9 years old) it had over 900k km on odometer and over 1 billion engine revolutions. This year that truck has 25 years and is still working OK - German MAN quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Hope it won't do like Marshall's Fiero from How I met your mother...
I didn't see the movie, what happened there?

My Accord (made in Japan) is running very good with no major maintenance costs so I'm pretty sure that next 100k km should not be very expensive to reach.
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #18332
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber
When my father bought an used truck (9 years old) it had over 900k km on odometer and over 1 billion engine revolutions. This year that truck has 25 years and is still working OK - German MAN quality.
100k a year or 300 a day? Impressive.
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:02 AM   #18333
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post

I didn't see the movie, what happened there?
it's not a movie lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhcFpbnQghk (just some scene with fiero, not the one he gets rid of it)
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #18334
Neverworld

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Ironically, shopkeepers put them in the drawer without even looking at them, while they are very suspicious when they get large notes that are almost never forged.
In the biggest retailer of the Netherlands (Albert Heijn) it's policy to check every banknote. Don't know about other shops.
Neverworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 04:42 AM   #18335
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

So there's "euro" in Bulgarian on the new banknotes (Bulgaria isn't even in the Eurozone), but not in Slovenian and Maltese? Another brilliant one from eurocrats.

Last edited by Verso; January 11th, 2013 at 06:06 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #18336
pobre diablo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
So there's "euro" in Bulgarian on the new banknotes (Bulgaria isn't even in the Eurozone), but not in Slovenian and Maltese? Another brilliant one from eurocrats.
Balkan jealousy
pobre diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #18337
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
it's not a movie lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhcFpbnQghk (just some scene with fiero, not the one he gets rid of it)
I searched for the scene where the car breaks down at 199999, but couldn't find it.

And hofburg, the one you posted isn't the Fiero, it's Ted's new car. The Fiero is this one:
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #18338
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso
Slovenian and Maltese, unlikely Bulgarian, use latin script so they can understand euro. Bulgaria could probably adopt it in 4-5 years so new notes are designed for the future.
Old January 11th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #18339
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1821

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Meanwhile in my car:

It should last at least next 100,000 km.
If you look at used cars in Estonia, practically none have more than 200 000km on the odometer
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #18340
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss
If you look at used cars in Estonia, practically none have more than 200 000km on the odometer
In Italy many used cars have odd numbers such 98,000, 99,000 or 198,000. Psycological reasons

Tags
highways, motorways