daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:34 PM   #18661
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
Yes staying in without full integration is an option which is our current status. The main stumbling block is, as always, money. We pay a hefty amount into the EU coiffeurs without gaining anything (visible) back. Most people equate this to be a drain on resources.

Another problem is immigration. There are those who want us to stop the amount of Poles, Romanians & Bulgarians from being able to come and work over here. We already have an illegal immigration problem so, rightly or wrongly, they're grouped together as the same problem.

Believe it or not, there are actually people in the south & south east of England who don't want monetary union because a picture of the Queen won't be on the Euro!

I think the outcome of the vote would be to maintain the status quo. I do honestly believe that full monetary integration will happen in the future and although I'm a royalist I really couldn't care less if Liz appeared on the Euro or not. However, the exchange rate would have to be in our favour for any of the main parties to even consider changing.

The longer our membership of the EU continues the more people will want more & more integration. We now even use the European Courts of Justice (when it suits us) to bash our own judicial system. As our cheese eat.... sorry, French cousins would say, c'est la vie & que sera sera.
Just found and skimmed the transcript: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...h-in-full.html

But "Qué será será" is Spanish. :-) (In French, it'd have to be "ce qui sera...")

Haven't read your comments yet; I'll do so now.

EDIT: Now having read your comments: (1) What I meant by asking whether the status quo was an option was that I thought there was fairly strong pressure from some Continental powers and politicians to centralize more power in EU institutions and that those people would insist that Britain either go along with that or get out. (A brief glance at the Telegraph shows such reactions to the speech from a couple of foreign ministers, including the German one; but then Merkel took a much more compromising tone.) (2) Note that Cameron's ruled out joining the euro.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; January 23rd, 2013 at 04:40 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:37 PM   #18662
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield

Yes staying in without full integration is an option which is our current status. The main stumbling block is, as always, money. We pay a hefty amount into the EU coiffeurs without gaining anything (visible) back. Most people equate this to be a drain on resources.

Another problem is immigration. There are those who want us to stop the amount of Poles, Romanians & Bulgarians from being able to come and work over here. We already have an illegal immigration problem so, rightly or wrongly, they're grouped together as the same problem.

Believe it or not, there are actually people in the south & south east of England who don't want monetary union because a picture of the Queen won't be on the Euro!

I think the outcome of the vote would be to maintain the status quo. I do honestly believe that full monetary integration will happen in the future and although I'm a royalist I really couldn't care less if Liz appeared on the Euro or not. However, the exchange rate would have to be in our favour for any of the main parties to even consider changing.

The longer our membership of the EU continues the more people will want more & more integration. We now even use the European Courts of Justice (when it suits us) to bash our own judicial system. As our cheese eat.... sorry, French cousins would say, c'est la vie & que sera sera.
We have people that want to ban kebab and cous cous, but not for health reasons, just because it's related to an "evil" culture! But if pizza and pasta are exported in the world it's fine, because we (not only Italians, but westerners in general) are superior to the rest of the world and we must export our culture while others... should stay in the jungle with monkeys or in the desert with camels and stay away from us! (Literal speech of an Italian politician).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:38 PM   #18663
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
No. I thought Italystf meant "claim," in the sense of Bossi's telling the public that he was doing something (hiring dialect-speakers?). (I don't think I'd use "pretend" even in that meaning, although the difference is subtle: if you claim to be doing something, it might be true; if you pretend to be doing something, you're lying. So it would be safer - more neutral - for, say, a journalist to use "claim" in a sentence like that.)
I think he meant "demand", or "oblige" because "pretendere" in Italian means that: it is a so-called "false friend". Bossi wanted to force legislation into admitting as civil servants only those who spoke local languages.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:48 PM   #18664
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Got it.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:49 PM   #18665
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

Most of the time, the issue is not really local dialects (that were never formalized and standardized as stand-alone languages first place) but to find some proxy that would allow people from an area to exclude others from coveted public sector jobs or certain professional orders.

Job market in Italy has a lot of structural problems, and has had them for 20 years, not only number of regular "career-bound" jobs but also issues like reverse ageism etc. Then, part of the population might be tempted to accept the idea the real problem is really "all those people coming from Puglia to work here" (or immigrants).

Sometimes localism in Italy can go to extreme lengths, a semi-famous politician once suggested Italian armed forces should be "regionalized" as in people from southern regions having "no ability or culture" to deal with demands of Alpine infantry regiments because there isn't much snow in Palermo or Cagliari.

Finally, you have the issues of certain small valleys where some small, but extremely vocal, cadre of activists try to create ridiculous things like some valley identity that is full of buzzwords disguised as a way to keep lucrative money from ski resorts "in the valley only".

This is mostly a folcloric thing though. Sometimes, however, people take advantage of merely symbolic platforms and get elected to local offices as "protest" candidates, and then they become a PITA to get things done.

The only real linguistic-ethnic mistake was for the Italian state to have had caved in to tirolese terrorists in the 1970s. That was a big error, impossible to reverse now since they get to keep almost all tax money, while receiving still the benefits of national services without paying for it (including an extremely flawed provision that doesn't reduce their handouts according to any 'fair share' of the province on Italian national debt)

italystf liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:56 PM   #18666
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I quote every single word of Suburbanist's.

As for the small valley identity, I read that at the next elections there will be also a party named "Vallecamonica zona franca", whose agenda only covers one issue: they just want to institute a special economic zone in Valle Camonica (the valley north of Lake Iseo), just like the Livigno one. That is to say "we only look at our small garden, and to hell with the rest".
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:06 PM   #18667
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza
I quote every single word of Suburbanist's.

As for the small valley identity, I read that at the next elections there will be also a party named "Vallecamonica zona franca", whose agenda only covers one issue: they just want to institute a special economic zone in Valle Camonica (the valley north of Lake Iseo), just like the Livigno one. That is to say "we only look at our small garden, and to hell with the rest".
Livigno special tax status should be removed, it's a free pass for smuggling (you buy a lot of stuff there for cheap because there is no VAT and you resell in Italy at the black market, border controls are a joke).
It made sense 100 years ago when there were no roads to Livigno, but not today when they get a load of money from winter tourism.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:08 PM   #18668
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

And i quote every single word of italysft's.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:13 PM   #18669
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
But "Qué será será" is Spanish. :-) (In French, it'd have to be "ce qui sera...")
You see, I told you we weren't very good at doing European.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:29 PM   #18670
Fatfield

Quote:
EDIT: Now having read your comments: (1) What I meant by asking whether the status quo was an option was that I thought there was fairly strong pressure from some Continental powers and politicians to centralize more power in EU institutions and that those people would insist that Britain either go along with that or get out. (A brief glance at the Telegraph shows such reactions to the speech from a couple of foreign ministers, including the German one; but then Merkel took a much more compromising tone.)
There is and to be honest I'd expect a reaction along those lines. Although as usual a compromise will be made. The fact of the matter is we both (EU & Britain) need each other. Whether Europeans & Brits think the same is a moot point.

However, when all Europeans realise they have to speak English as their natural language, drive on the left hand side of the road, use the £ and swear allegiance to Liz then the sooner we can have a fully integrated EU.

PS We can exchange the above for French & Italian food, German beer, Spanish sun and Dutch, Scandanavian & Eastern European women. Maybe then the EU will have reached Utopia.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:38 PM   #18671
Fatfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Finally, you have the issues of certain small valleys where some small, but extremely vocal, cadre of activists try to create ridiculous things like some valley identity that is full of buzzwords disguised as a way to keep lucrative money
Wales?
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:56 PM   #18672
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2276

Meanwhile in Russia

keokiracer liked this post
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:59 PM   #18673
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
Wales?
If you're not nice, they'll secede!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:19 PM   #18674
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
Meanwhile in Russia
Was that a dog or a kid?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:21 PM   #18675
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

A kid, it was in online newspapers in Italy, too.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:50 PM   #18676
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Young people usually have a quite good English knowledge, at least in the written form. The pronunciation is more problematic.
I read that the worst in Europe are the Spanish, the best Dutch and Scandinavians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kn...ish_EU_map.svg
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:32 PM   #18677
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11828

JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:33 PM   #18678
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Go ahead, comment.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:35 PM   #18679
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Ok, you asked for a reply: That guy is a retard.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:36 PM   #18680
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Indeed he is. Heck, that's putting it mildly. But why would you assume I (or most Americans) would think otherwise?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
highways, motorways