daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #18701
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I think EU should stay politicaly as it is, it's quite good. Economicaly I would like to see an EU-level ministry of finance.

as for language barrier, this is changing by generations, young europeans speak more languages and travel a lot already today, I speak 4 languages myself. today already middle-age generation is much less flexible in these aspects.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #18702
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccolli View Post
A little bit of everyday example, Milka chocolate when you buy it in Slovenia is made in Bulgaria, 50 km away in Austria you buy the same Milka chocolate but with one difference its made in Germany or Austria..
Now question wouldnt be cheaper to deliver that shipment of chocolate from Austria which is just 50 km away from Ljubljana our capital and not from Bulgaria which is i dont know 1000 km away? But no for balkan states is one tipe of food for west europeans is the other.
sadly large part of nutrition import-export is still based on pre 90's europe.
Old January 24th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #18703
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
You know problem in europe is also that powerful ex-colonial EU countries looks to other not that economicaly strong EU countries (Greece, Spain...and of course Slovenia) exalted.
That is also one of the big differences between EU and USA. You see and that is why EU will never be able to compete with USA.
A little bit of everyday example, Milka chocolate when you buy it in Slovenia is made in Bulgaria, 50 km away in Austria you buy the same Milka chocolate but with one difference its made in Germany or Austria..
Now question wouldnt be cheaper to deliver that shipment of chocolate from Austria which is just 50 km away from Ljubljana our capital and not from Bulgaria which is i dont know 1000 km away? But no for balkan states is one tipe of food for west europeans is the other.
And dont get me wrong i got nothing against Bulgaria, they have great traditional food and wine that is the fact!
You see Penn in USA you all have the same food no matter if you are from New York or Los Angeles or Florida. And the shipment comes from the factory which is nearest to town or region.

Look at this SLO tv video (its in English) - at 11:5
Link:http://tvslo.si/predvajaj/globus/ava2.156611538/
It's not quite that simple here: there are plenty of regional brands, not to mention more regional differences in taste than you might expect.

But I get your point.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #18704
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

I think that Slovenes import from Bulgaria because Bulgarian products are cheaper than Austrian ones even if they come from more far away, since labor is cheaper in Bulgaria.
In Western Europe Bulgaria has a bad reputation (no insult to Bulgarians, but many think it's s 3rd world country with lax law enforcement and don't even know it's in EU) so probably our retailers don't think that selling "made in Bulgaria" foodstuff is appealing for Western consumers.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #18705
hofburg
middle lane hogger

we eat nutella from poland and it isnt cheaper than in italy
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #18706
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg
we eat nutella from poland and it isnt cheaper than in italy
The price you pay is the same. But retailers pay less to wholesalers so their earning margin is bigger.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #18707
Nordic20T

Likes (Received): 55

Are the Nutella from Poland and the Milka from Bulgaria worse than the corresponding products from western Europe?
Nordic20T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #18708
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic20T
Are the Nutella from Poland and the Milka from Bulgaria worse than the corresponding products from western Europe?
Don't think so. Products from international companies are usually the same everywhere. Coca Cola in Rome tastes like in London, New York, Tokyo and Beijing.
But some people may think East->poverty and corruption->bad products. However we still have things like contaminated cow meat from Britain, toxic mozzarella from Germany, vegetables grown near illegal landfills in Italy...
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #18709
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Last edited by Broccolli; January 24th, 2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: waste of time
Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #18710
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccolli

Not true. Most importaint thing is that the price in Austria or in Slovenia for Milka is the same, difference is just that we get less quallity product. Somethink simmilar is going on with washing powders (Ariel, Persil).
But in other hand probably is that also connected with our retailers in that i agree with you. Its not that it is imposible to import Milka from Austria they are selling it in DM markets all across Slovenia, but bigger retailers are importing Less quality Milka from Bulgaria for the same price. So bottom line Westerners are making money (less chocolade in product) on stupidity of East europeans which apparenly cant see or taste the difference beetween product which are produced for them and those which are produced for wesereners. This is two way EU..

I was talking about Milka brand...so if your assumptions are correct then it is true that "Bulgarian" Milka cocolad is lower quality (not because bulgarians are not able to produce the same quality cocolade as in Austria but because leadership in Milka company assessed that for those Balkans and east europeans that is good enought and anyway they will never know the difference so they add i don know more milk and cocoa powder and less cocolade in the mix ) than Milka produced in Austria or in Germany.
I was saying that we trust more a product made in Austria rather than in Bulgaria even if the content is the same, but I didn't know that Bulgarian Milka was actually worse than the Austrian one.
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #18711
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9150

Quote:
... so they add i don know more milk and cocoa powder and less cocolade in the mix ) than Milka produced in Austria or in Germany...
Not going to argue on this stereotyping kind of thinking, but this phrase shows that you speak without knowing the reality - chocolate is made out of... cocoa. So by adding more cocoa they cannot make less chocolate
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #18712
Broccolli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
Not going to argue on this stereotyping kind of thinking, but this phrase shows that you speak without knowing the reality - chocolate is made out of... cocoa. So by adding more cocoa they cannot make less chocolate
That is not the point
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #18713
Broccolli

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I was saying that we trust more a product made in Austria rather than in Bulgaria even if the content is the same, but I didn't know that Bulgarian Milka was actually worse than the Austrian one.
Let's cut the bullshit we all know how it is
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #18714
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

Let's cut the bullshit we all know how it is
What, you want the wall and barbed wire to go back up again?
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #18715
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

Giethoorn, the Netherlands had the first ice-skating tour on natural ice this year in the Netherlands. They stopped admission when things began to overcrowd. Over 17 000 skaters were already on the ice and the local road network became clogged as thousands more were underway to the area. The police closed the area off to prevent even more people from going to skate. This shows the frenzy that occurs in the Netherlands when ice-skating is possible.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Verso liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #18716
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
What, you want the wall and barbed wire to go back up again?
There was never a wall or barbed wire around Slovenia, except on the Hungarian border (barbed wire probably, not a wall).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #18717
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Don't think so. Products from international companies are usually the same everywhere. Coca Cola in Rome tastes like in London, New York, Tokyo and Beijing.
I disagree. Italian Fanta orange doesn't taste the same as Spanish one.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #18718
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Meanwhile in the Northern Balkans

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #18719
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Swarovski? It ain't your father's Eastern Europe any more, is it...?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #18720
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

A question to UK fellows here.

Are real life Brits actually willing to get out of the EU or is it just a political shenanigan?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways