daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #18741
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL

I disagree. Italian Fanta orange doesn't taste the same as Spanish one.
In Spain I also found the cherry-flavoured Coca Cola that I never saw in Italy.
__________________
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:53 AM   #18742
Wilhem275
The Transporter
 
Wilhem275's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Genoa & Venice [I]
Posts: 2,733
Likes (Received): 767

I miss so much my beloved Mezzo Mix... no such thing in Italy.
__________________
I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrooke, and by gum, it put them on the map!
Well, sir, there's nothing on earth like a genuine, bona fide, electrified, six-car monorail!

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #18743
timo9
11 YEARS HERE!
 
timo9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15,059
Likes (Received): 2078

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Snow in Huesca!
timo9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #18744
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,247
Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
The evil U.S. are involved in and responsible for anything bad happens on Earth, remember. Including Road_UK harsh manners
Europeans are just jealous because they can't f--k the world up themselves any more.
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #18745
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

Is trolling the purpose of your life?
How is this trolling? Before 1991 anything across the iron curtain was deemed strange and the general public wouldn't go there. We never got a really good insight of life across these borders. Civilization did stop at Austria or Eisenach, in the eyes of many people. Of course these days it's all different, and I personally really like Slovenia. I go there often, same with countries like Poland, the Baltics, Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Your response is very Albanian and Balkan thread like...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #18746
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I miss so much my beloved Mezzo Mix... no such thing in Italy.
Yes there is. At M-Preis or Billa (Austrian supermarkt chains) in Südtirol.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #18747
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

Does it also not bother you when he doesn't allow any criticizing of America whatsoever? Quite hypocritical of him, isn't it?
I don't allow what? Say what you want... Accept a discussion if I don't agree with you.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:00 AM   #18748
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
A question to UK fellows here.

Are real life Brits actually willing to get out of the EU or is it just a political shenanigan?
It will be a very close call. Brits love Europe. They love the food, the weather, the culture etc etc. But there is a strong sense of superiority, especially among the one's that never have been or go abroad. And there are many of them about in the UK. They read The Sun newspaper (with titties on page three) because that paper make people believe that Brussels is something very evil and undemocratic, and that the Germans and French are only there to tell the Brits what to do. This doesn't go down very well with a large part of the population who believe that you can drive from Calais to Jamaica. (someone asked me for a lift ones, after meeting a girl from Jamaica on the internet) The more educated ones are generally more pro, and realize that a life without Europe will only lead to an island in isolation between EU and USA, and that a departure would have disastrous consequences for trade and economy in the UK. After all, they are not making anything, and are fully reliant on import/export and financial services.

It will be a very close call indeed...
__________________

Wilhem275 liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #18749
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,805
Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I know what it was like, but Road_UK's reply (to what exactly?) was completely uncalled for and just his usual trolling. I'd prefer, if we kept discussions here civilized and friendly, if it's not too hard.
You might consider revising your terminology. Trolling does not mean posting opinions or facts you do not like. Attacking Road_UK in person for such opinions is not a very advanced way to drive discussion.

What Road_UK wrote is far from being a troll. The countries behind the iron curtain were very isolated police states, travelling there ad hoc was almost impossible, everyone was treated a criminal at the borders, there was a black market for the money, the infrastructure was about to collapse, and visiting those were strictly controlled. Most of the people from the west or north Europe just did not go there.

The same thing applied here. In the people's minds, the Gulf of Finland did not have the southern shore at all. Everybody knew that there is Estonia, as a province of the Soviet Union, but travelling to Estonia was virtually impossible. So, in the minds, the area was just non-existent like the whole shoreline of the Baltic Sea from Travemünde in West Germany to Virolahti in Finland.

I visited Tallinn first time in early 1990's soon after Estonia regained its independence. I felt somewhat angry about noticing how wonderful a medieval city at the distance of 80 km only had been hidden from us for decades.
__________________

Penn's Woods, Road_UK liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #18750
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG

You might consider revising your terminology. Trolling does not mean posting opinions or facts you do not like. Attacking Road_UK in person for such opinions is not a very advanced way to drive discussion.

What Road_UK wrote is far from being a troll. The countries behind the iron curtain were very isolated police states, travelling there ad hoc was almost impossible, everyone was treated a criminal at the borders, there was a black market for the money, the infrastructure was about to collapse, and visiting those were strictly controlled. Most of the people from the west or north Europe just did not go there.

The same thing applied here. In the people's minds, the Gulf of Finland did not have the southern shore at all. Everybody knew that there is Estonia, as a province of the Soviet Union, but travelling to Estonia was virtually impossible. So, in the minds, the area was just non-existent like the whole shoreline of the Baltic Sea from Travemünde in West Germany to Virolahti in Finland.

I visited Tallinn first time in early 1990's soon after Estonia regained its independence. I felt somewhat angry about noticing how wonderful a medieval city at the distance of 80 km only had been hidden from us for decades.
But it was the Soviet Union. Yugoslavia was a different thing, going there was easy for Westerners, we didn't even need a visa. Also visiting other communist countries except Soviet Union and Albania was doable, my father went to Czechoslovakia and Romania. Tourists from the West were welcomed because they brought hard currency.
And yes, my father was asked to pay a bribe on a gas station on the Prague-Bratislava highway. A guy (probably not a real cop, he hasn't a uniform) says that he had to pay a fine (with no written report) because he entered the rest area turning right too late (and not using the deceleration lane).
__________________
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Broccolli, Verso liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #18751
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK

It will be a very close call. Brits love Europe. They love the food, the weather, the culture etc etc. But there is a strong sense of superiority, especially among the one's that never have been or go abroad. And there are many of them about in the UK. They read The Sun newspaper (with titties on page three) because that paper make people believe that Brussels is something very evil and undemocratic, and that the Germans and French are only there to tell the Brits what to do. This doesn't go down very well with a large part of the population who believe that you can drive from Calais to Jamaica. (someone asked me for a lift ones, after meeting a girl from Jamaica on the internet) The more educated ones are generally more pro, and realize that a life without Europe will only lead to an island in isolation between EU and USA, and that a departure would have disastrous consequences for trade and economy in the UK. After all, they are not making anything, and are fully reliant on import/export and financial services.

It will be a very close call indeed...
Anti-EU movements exist in many EU countries. They usually are far-right and racist movements that see multiculturalism and democracy as evil and are very conservative. Some examples are the Lega Nord and some small neo-fascists parties like Forza Nuova in Italy, Marine le Pen's party in France and Geert Wilder's party in the Netherlands. Those parties have some crazy ideals to get votes from some extremists but they will never get numbers to realize them. We can say the same about far-left and filo-communist parties that exist everywhere in Europe.
__________________
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #18752
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,805
Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
But it was the Soviet Union. Yugoslavia was a different thing, going there was easy for Westerners, we didn't even need a visa.
Still the iron curtain was there. And Yugoslavia was not east of Austria: Hungary and Slovakia are there.

The citizens of Finland did not need a visa for most of the east European countries. However, that did not make things much easier, and the area was avoided by most people. During my student years, I made a visit to Brno, traveling through Poland. Next year, I participated in a group to visit Minsk. The paperwork needed to arrange these trips was remarkable.

Yugoslavia took their own way rather early. It was a big disappointment to me to see the brutality related to the collapse of the country.
__________________

Road_UK liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #18753
Surel
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,702
Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I was saying that we trust more a product made in Austria rather than in Bulgaria even if the content is the same, but I didn't know that Bulgarian Milka was actually worse than the Austrian one.
Most of the consumer products of daily use and foods are made in two version. One version is for Eastern Europe, the other one for Western Europe. The official policy is "different taste of the customers".

The price is not an issue, because the same products cost the same in the east and in the west. The cheapest country anyway is Germany in this respect (talking about same branded products, not the whole price level).

EU doesn't give a shit about this...

http://www.euractiv.com/consumers/eu...st-news-504223
http://www.euractiv.com/consumers/ac...-e-news-505342

This is no wonder, most of the retail as well as production is owned by the western companies. The investments has to pay back quickly, marges margins are huge.
__________________

Broccolli liked this post

Last edited by Surel; January 25th, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #18754
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

This seems to be applying to cigarettes as well. Marlboro sold in western Europe, including UK are made by Philip Morris in Neuchatel, Switzerland, while anything sold in Poland or Czech Republic are produced in those countries.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #18755
Broccolli
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,305
Likes (Received): 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Most of the consumer products of daily use and foods are made in two version. One version is for Eastern Europe, the other one for Western Europe. The official policy is "different taste of the customers".

The price is not an issue, because the same products cost the same in the east and in the west. The cheapest country anyway is Germany in this respect (talking about same branded products, not the whole price level).

EU doesn't give a shit about this...

http://www.euractiv.com/consumers/eu...st-news-504223
http://www.euractiv.com/consumers/ac...-e-news-505342

This is no wonder, most of the retail as well as production is owned by the western companies. The investments has to pay back quickly, marges are huge.
This is why i never buy food from other countries, if its possible i buy slovenian food only (milk, meat, eggs, yogurt, vegetables we produce ourselves ..), because we can afford that..but a lots of people in Slovenia cant afford this and they are buying food with lower price no matter of quality and where does this food comes from. This is reality.And retailers are aware of this.
Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #18756
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
You might consider revising your terminology. Trolling does not mean posting opinions or facts you do not like. Attacking Road_UK in person for such opinions is not a very advanced way to drive discussion.

What Road_UK wrote is far from being a troll. The countries behind the iron curtain were very isolated police states, travelling there ad hoc was almost impossible, everyone was treated a criminal at the borders, there was a black market for the money, the infrastructure was about to collapse, and visiting those were strictly controlled. Most of the people from the west or north Europe just did not go there.

The same thing applied here. In the people's minds, the Gulf of Finland did not have the southern shore at all. Everybody knew that there is Estonia, as a province of the Soviet Union, but travelling to Estonia was virtually impossible. So, in the minds, the area was just non-existent like the whole shoreline of the Baltic Sea from Travemünde in West Germany to Virolahti in Finland.

I visited Tallinn first time in early 1990's soon after Estonia regained its independence. I felt somewhat angry about noticing how wonderful a medieval city at the distance of 80 km only had been hidden from us for decades.
You're talking about the Warsaw Pact, I was clearly talking about Slovenia. And I didn't call Road_UK a troll just because of that post, but combined with his previous posts here where he didn't even mention Slovenia, so I already had my opinion about him (and calling any nation uncivilized only confirms it).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #18757
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

You're talking about the Warsaw Pact, I was clearly talking about Slovenia. And I didn't call Road_UK a troll just because of that post, but combined with his previous posts here where he didn't even mention Slovenia, so I already had my opinion about him.
I was talking about the iron curtain.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #18758
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,247
Likes (Received): 781

Verso, please stop.
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #18759
Rebasepoiss
Registered User
 
Rebasepoiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tallinn
Posts: 5,819
Likes (Received): 1821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic20T View Post
@Rebasepoiss: But is it worse or just "different". This seems to be the point of this discussion here.
Allegedly it's worse but then again, beer really comes down to taste. As I've heard, Germans don't like Estonian beer at all, yet we all enjoy it here...
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #18760
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
You're talking about the Warsaw Pact, I was clearly talking about Slovenia. And I didn't call Road_UK a troll just because of that post, but combined with his previous posts here where he didn't even mention Slovenia, so I already had my opinion about him (and calling any nation uncivilized only confirms it).
The Italian song "Trieste 1953" by the Ultima Frontiera group, calls the city of Trieste "the last fronter of civilty" that will never be invaded by "barbarian hordes" from the East.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
highways, motorways

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium