daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:05 AM   #18841
pobre diablo
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,533
Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
TLDR.
Je ne comprends pas qu'est ce que tu veut dire.
pobre diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #18842
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,088
Likes (Received): 4752

Too long, didn't read.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #18843
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,250
Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre diablo View Post


...Food in the US, for example, is very cheap in comparison but are of very low quality.
Why do you say that?
And why do people keep bringing us into this?
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:39 AM   #18844
Surel
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,702
Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre diablo View Post


Well, cheaper in Germany doesn't mean high quality. Food in the US, for example, is very cheap in comparison but are of very low quality.
Read my post http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...ostcount=18786
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:43 AM   #18845
Surel
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,702
Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Why do you say that?
And why do people keep bringing us into this?
Generally its true, healthy quality food is more expensive in the USA than in the EU.

Because US is a benchmark country for many. On the other side its just a country as any other thus why it should not be discussed?
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #18846
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,250
Likes (Received): 781

1) Data, please. And proof that European-made food is more expensive in the U.S. than in the E.U. does not equate to proof that good food is more expensive in the U.S. than in the E.U. I've got to believe that our long-established food-regulation system is at least as good as, say, Bulgaria's.

2) The last time the US was brought up on this thread was early in Verso's rather trollish, unfriendly and uncalled-for multi-page Road_UK's-a-troll argument.

And "benchmark"? Please. Whipping boy. A lot of people in Europe - just as far as I can see from here - get off, for some reason, on congratulating themselves (quite often without basis) for being better than us. It's a bit pathetic, actually. And very annoying. Some idiot on Le Monde's forum spent three weeks in November trying to convince me that the food in New York is disgusting. (Original topic was French competitors in the New York Marathon suing the owners for canceling it, the weekend after Sandy, but I can see how that would quickly mutate into "why would anyone want to go to New York? The food is disgusting." Because, you know, that's more important than what people in the New York area were going through at that point. This, apparently, on the basis of some time living in OTTAWA, and the usual stereotypical assumptions.)

By the way: did you know we Americans are "unnaturally fixated on personal dentition"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Americanism - end of first paragraph. I suppose that's because we have dentists....
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:22 AM   #18847
pobre diablo
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,533
Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Well, based on this, I conclude that if they sell the same thing in a rich and poor country, they have to sell for less money in a poor country and thus make less on the product as compared to the one in the rich country. Therefore, they decrease the quality in order to make the product cheaper to make and then make the same margin as in the rich country. Do I understand correctly? But then why are things cheaper in Germany?
pobre diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #18848
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,088
Likes (Received): 4752

US mentioned => Penn's Woods freaks out again
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #18849
pobre diablo
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,533
Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
1) Data, please. And proof that European-made food is more expensive in the U.S. than in the E.U. does not equate to proof that good food is more expensive in the U.S. than in the E.U. I've got to believe that our long-established food-regulation system is at least as good as, say, Bulgaria's.

2) The last time the US was brought up on this thread was early in Verso's rather trollish, unfriendly and uncalled-for multi-page Road_UK's-a-troll argument.
I can speak from personal experience. US food, for one, is much saltier, greasier, and sweeter than in Europe (I can't speak for other places, as I haven't been). Fruits and vegetables taste like cardboard. I'm talking about local supermarket food, not specialized organic supermarkets or local farms.
Also obesity levels did not happen out of nowhere.
pobre diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:27 AM   #18850
pobre diablo
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,533
Likes (Received): 316

Regulation system might be better at catching things but the things allowed are scary with all the hormones, colorings, preservatives, and additives. Not that other places don't have them, but not to that extent. You just need to look at the size of things to realize that it's not normal.
pobre diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #18851
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Edit. Not worth the aggro.

Last edited by Road_UK; January 27th, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #18852
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre diablo View Post

I can speak from personal experience. US food, for one, is much saltier, greasier, and sweeter than in Europe (I can't speak for other places, as I haven't been). Fruits and vegetables taste like cardboard. I'm talking about local supermarket food, not specialized organic supermarkets or local farms.
Also obesity levels did not happen out of nowhere.
It's either sweeter or saltier. If it's both it means there is a wide range available to choose from. Same as in most of Europe.
__________________

Penn's Woods liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #18853
pobre diablo
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,533
Likes (Received): 316



I didn't mean one thing was sweet and salty. Sweet things are much sweeter, and everything else is much saltier. The latter is a wide-known fact.
pobre diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #18854
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre diablo View Post


I didn't mean one thing was sweet and salty. Sweet things are much sweeter, and everything else is much saltier. The latter is a wide-known fact.
Bollucks.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #18855
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,539
Likes (Received): 21251

I think people on this thread need to give others the benefit of the doubt. It is become ever-more-annoying.

What about *not* assuming an ambiguous statement was meant to offend someone's country?

What about *not* going ape-shit because somebody doesn't agree with some of your personal observation?

What about *not* calling other people's names and sticking them to stereotypes just because you didn't like something you read?
__________________

Chilio, keokiracer liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #18856
Chilio
Небостъргачевград
 
Chilio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sofia
Posts: 12,790
Likes (Received): 9161

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre diablo View Post
Regulation system might be better at catching things but the things allowed are scary with all the hormones, colorings, preservatives, and additives. Not that other places don't have them, but not to that extent. You just need to look at the size of things to realize that it's not normal.
Speaking of regulations, you didn't mention also the genetically modified products, which is quite an issue - banned in most of European countries, allowed and widely used in most of the States. Or at least they were, I'll be glad if regulations have been changed and are now or about to become more restrictive.

Penn's, it's not about stereotyping people or countries. I'm also quite disgusted how many make their conclusions from rather unfair and untrue stereotypes. And also am sure that because of the States being so wide and multipopulated with quite a different people and cultures, there are all type of foods, good ones, bad ones... That's why I only speak about regulations.

It's not like telling how BG and RO don't deserve to enter Schengen because HU border officers accepted bribes... Or not knowing what chocolate is made of, but being sure it's made of worse things only because it's made in EE and not WE.

Last edited by Chilio; January 27th, 2013 at 10:56 AM.
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #18857
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel
Yugo was something in between. It was holiday resort that could be used by both sides.

I remember "funny" story from an Adriatic beach my mother told me. My brother was one little angel when he was around 3 years. Arian angel you could say. Blond curly hair, blue eyes, but he can have nice tan as well. Some German family from BRD wanted to buy him from my parents because they could not have their own kids. That woman was just crazy and it meant premature end of holiday for my parents as they had to watch him all the time to not get him stolen.
BRD, West Germany? And they said that communists eat children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso
You quote the Executive Director of Kraft Foods Bulgaria? That's like asking a criminal, if he's innocent. I rather believe the Slovak Association of Consumers.
In Italy we say "It's like asking the barman if wine is good."
__________________
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #18858
Broccolli
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,305
Likes (Received): 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre diablo View Post
Yes, it is. And for the person who was lamenting bad Bulgarian Milkas sold in Slovenia, I found this quote from an interview with the director of Kraft Foods Bulgaria, for all it's worth.




http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=136309
Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #18859
bogdymol
bogdymod
 
bogdymol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,187

Wow. He had hair?
__________________
Lived, Been, Drove in: A B BG BiH CH CZ D DK E F FIN FL GBZ GR H HR I IRL L M MNE P PL RO RSM S SK SLO SRB UK V
+ Australia, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, United Arab Emirates & United States of America
my clinched highways
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #18860
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post

Speaking of regulations, you didn't mention also the genetically modified products, which is quite an issue - banned in most of European countries, allowed and widely used in most of the States. Or at least they were, I'll be glad if regulations have been changed and are now or about to become more restrictive.

Penn's, it's not about stereotyping people or countries. I'm also quite disgusted how many make their conclusions from rather unfair and untrue stereotypes. And also am sure that because of the States being so wide and multipopulated with quite a different people and cultures, there are all type of foods, good ones, bad ones... That's why I only speak about regulations.

It's not like telling how BG and RO don't deserve to enter Schengen because HU border officers accepted bribes... Or not knowing what chocolate is made of, but being sure it's made of worse things only because it's made in EE and not WE.
Even regulations can be interpreted in many ways. A lot of people don't like EU mingling. Others don't like over the top Health and Safety regulations as they have in the UK. Very easy for Europeans to criticize Americans and their 2nd Amendment, or their food or other internal affairs, and then preferably make it sound like they're a bunch of rednecks who haven't got a clue. But we've got so many problems and diversions of our own.

That sweeter and saltier statement is an absolute bunch of nonsense.

Last edited by Road_UK; January 27th, 2013 at 01:23 PM.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
highways, motorways

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium