daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #18861
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

i don't buy Bulgarian Milka from one simple reason: they are mostly done in 80 g bars (or 250 g for large bars), and not in usual 100/300 g bars. and the price is equal.
thank heaven for Müller, they import only Milka "made in Austria" in 100 g bars.

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #18862
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
thank heaven for Müller, they import only Milka "made in Austria" in 100 g bars.
I don't trust austrians neither
Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #18863
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre diablo View Post
Well, based on this, I conclude that if they sell the same thing in a rich and poor country, they have to sell for less money in a poor country and thus make less on the product as compared to the one in the rich country. Therefore, they decrease the quality in order to make the product cheaper to make and then make the same margin as in the rich country. Do I understand correctly? But then why are things cheaper in Germany?
Yes, that would be the normal logic. But often it works bit differently, the margin is in fact bigger in the poorer countries. It is that the same priced products have different quality, and the same quality products are in fact cheaper in the richer countries.

Why? Because market allows this and there is no regulation on this (at least on the quality, regulating price would be overkill, and not really something that we want, quality regulation is different thing - especially in marketing). BTW most of the quality regulation in the Eastern Europe was scrapped in the 90s. Substantial part of it reasoned by the EU single market. While many quality regulation persisted in the Western Europe.

The bigger the market the bigger the competition the lower the price. thats why in Germany it is cheaper.

Last edited by Surel; January 27th, 2013 at 04:06 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #18864
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Food companies like Milka should offer two different versions of every product: a "premium" product (like the Austrian chocolate) and a "budget" one (like the Bulgarian chocolate) that must appear together on supermarket shelves. Earning margins on premium products would be bigger (ex: if the cost to made them is 0,70 and 1,00 they would sell at 1,20 and 2,50).
In that way the company could cover a vast part of the market, satisfying both those who seek quality and those who seek conveniency. This could work both in Western and Eastern Europe.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #18865
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:

I didn't mean one thing was sweet and salty.
Sometimes they are both. I remember a Virginian professor visiting when I was working at the university in Italy. He brought from the US something I could never start to describe - a piece of salty toffee caramel. It was the most disgusting thing I ever ate: and I ate Columbian ants.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #18866
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Food companies like Milka should offer two different versions of every product: a "premium" product (like the Austrian chocolate) and a "budget" one (like the Bulgarian chocolate) that must appear together on supermarket shelves. Earning margins on premium products would be bigger (ex: if the cost to made them is 0,70 and 1,00 they would sell at 1,20 and 2,50).
In that way the company could cover a vast part of the market, satisfying both those who seek quality and those who seek conveniency. This could work both in Western and Eastern Europe.
They do it. And the making of such segments is much simpler. You can just change the package and sell under different brand while the content is completaly the same. Thats how it is done. Especially some retailer custom made products are made in this way. Though don't know if Milka is doing it.
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #18867
italystf

I've heard that they eat salty liquorice in Sweden and Finland while people from other countries feel it disgusting. However I don't know since I never ate it.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #18868
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Sometimes they are both. I remember a Virginian professor visiting when I was working at the university in Italy. He brought from the US something I could never start to describe - a piece of salty toffee caramel. It was the most disgusting thing I ever ate: and I ate Columbian ants.
Salty Tofee caramel? Then it should be different than the dutch drop, right? The worst tasting candy I ever ate .
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #18869
pobre diablo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Bollucks.
Oh, sit down. I live in America. I know what the food is like here. I haven't been to UK, may be the food there is even worse in comparison
pobre diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #18870
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
US mentioned => Penn's Woods freaks out again
Baseless assumption about US made in ridiculous argument among ignorant inhabitants of Third World countries about the respective qualities of said Third World countries = > Michael gets irritated. Because it's old.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #18871
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods

Baseless assumption about US made in ridiculous argument among ignorant inhabitants of Third World countries about the respective qualities of said Third World countries = > Michael gets irritated. Because it's old.
Developing countries
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #18872
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I only mentioned one piece of US food I cannot eat. I love pancakes+maple syrup!
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #18873
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:

I didn't mean one thing was sweet and salty. Sweet things are much sweeter, and everything else is much saltier. The latter is a wide-known fact.
Which is why fitness magazines, for example, always advise you to "shop the outside of the supermarket" - i.e. buy ingredients (meat, vegetables, and so on) rather than the processsed food that's in interior aisles. And processed food has "nutritional information" labels that other countries have taken as a model for their ow. And the diversity of what's available here...you can eat as well here as anywhere else if you want to.

And I've never had a problem with cardboard-tasting fruits and vegetables.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #18874
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Developing countries
Third World. :-P

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #18875
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
0.5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Salty Tofee caramel? Then it should be different than the dutch drop, right? The worst tasting candy I ever ate .
I don't like those black candies either. What's the main substance actually?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #18876
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I don't suppose you mean salt-water taffy? Invented by mistake in Atlantic City, supposedly, when a candy maker somehow got sea water into a barrel of taffy and said, hey, this isn't bad. You buy it at the beach in the summer, because it's (and you're) there, and forget about it the rest of the year.

I have a Johannesburg-born co-worker who occasionally orders things like Marmite (ugh!) and some beef-jerky-type thing from a mail-order place in North Carolina that specializes in South African products. (I know Marmite's not South African.) On the other hand, I was unaware that peanut butter was a North American oddity until Brits on another forum started talking about it: either they'd never had it or they thought it was gross.

As far as pancakes are concerned, I've never liked heavy breakfasts.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #18877
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
I don't suppose you mean salt-water taffy? Invented by mistake in Atlantic City, supposedly, when a candy maker somehow got sea water into a barrel of taffy and said, hey, this isn't bad. You buy it at the beach in the summer, because it's (and you're) there, and forget about it the rest of the year.
Don't know. Google images gives me pics of individually-wrapped candies, but I remember this... thing being more like a candy-bar, with this color and shape:
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Thorntonstoffee.jpg

Quote:
On the other hand, I was unaware that peanut butter was a North American oddity until Brits on another forum started talking about it: either they'd never had it or they thought it was gross.
I never saw or ate peanut butter until a roomate of mine during my university time, an American, brought one can from the US (he came from a NJ town near Philly, can't remember its name). At first I didn't like it, but now I do. Sometimes you can find peanut butter in Italian supermarkets (only the big ones) but it's impossibly expensive. I bought recently an economic one made by Calvè, but it's terrible. I bought peanuts and the other ingredients to make it myself.

Quote:
As far as pancakes are concerned, I've never liked heavy breakfasts.
As a matter of fact my normal breakfast is cappuccino with some biscuits (sorry, cookies), but from time to time I like to indulge myself with heavier things...
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #18878
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Peanut Butter is widely available in the Netherlands. Every supermarket sells it, usually in several price ranges and variants.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #18879
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

[Reply to Spinoza]

I've seen and eaten things like that Thornton's toffee. I wouldn't go out of my way for it. I've never heard of that brand, but it says here it's British: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorntons. Salt-water taffy is much softer and milder in flavor. I don't know if there's a difference between taffy and toffee other than one being an American word and the other British.

I used to (when I lived closer to it) do a lot of my shopping at the wonderful Reading Terminal Market (http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/) There were Amish merchants with a stand in there who, if you asked for a pound of peanut butter, would pour a bunch of peanuts, some oil, and I don't know what else into a thing to grind it. And no, it wasn't the same grinder they used for meat.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 27th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #18880
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
I apologize for the "ignorant" and the "Third World." And for the "baseless," I suppose, although my experience is very different.
self-

That's all. :-P

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
highways, motorways