daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 29th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #18941
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
Oh, it's going to be "King Willem-Alexander", not Willem IV
It sounds like King Juan Carlos of Spain or Pope John Paul II .

Anyway, I'm looking forward the new Dutch coins. I have collected euro coins since the introduction in 2002 (When I was 8), and notes since 2011. I haven't seen a commemorative €2 coin for a while now, but OTOH I've caught an Austrian €5 note with Duisenberg's signature recently.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #18942
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron2K View Post
It's called "biltong" -- and it's made of awesome!
That's the stuff!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #18943
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

North Korea is now covered in Detail in Google Maps.
Now Bosnia and Herzegovina, almost in the middle of Europe, is the only country in the world not being covered with Google Maps. Even Somalia (a "failed state") is better covered.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #18944
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
North Korea is now covered in Detail in Google Maps.
Now Bosnia and Herzegovina, almost in the middle of Europe, is the only country in the world not being covered with Google Maps. Even Somalia (a "failed state") is better covered.
The mapping function too, or only photos? Which I think were already there.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #18945
keber

Mapping function was vastly improved, you can check for yourself (North Koreans can't ...)
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #18946
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

It would be nice to have street view in NK. Off course it would show only the places that Kim want us to see.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #18947
keber

It would be nice to have streetview of whole world not just North Korea.
It would be nice to have promptly updated maps (not just once or twice a year).
It would be nice to have operating public transport instructions. I can plan public transport ride in Ljubljana, I can plan that in Bangkok, but I can't do that in Berlin.
Old January 30th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #18948
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Brilliant!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/quiz/20...-test-quiz-new

I got ten out of ten.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #18949
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

The city of Naples stopped its urban bus service because... they have no money to buy gasoline.
http://napoli.repubblica.it/cronaca/...olio-51547421/

:O :O
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #18950
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I got 8 of 10, and met the criteria percentage. Am I now forced to take the citizenship of the UK?
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #18951
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

April 30th will no longer be a holiday in Netherlands. That will be moved to April 27th, the day of birth of Willem-Alexander.
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #18952
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
The city of Naples stopped its urban bus service because... they have no money to buy gasoline.

Many Italian cities have outdated networks of urban public transportation, with an excessive number of buses aiming at providing one-seat rides, which mean buses clogging central areas.

The concept of integrated fares and transfers hasn't arrived in many places. As many provinces and cities are facing financial crisis, they cannot afford the hefty subsidies they pay for transit agencies. Fares are often too low as well.

ATM, the transit agency of Milano, had an abysmal farebox recovery ratio of 16%. It increased a bit when they jacked up fares 1 1/2 years ago, but still lackluster. They have many duplicate bus routes, God forbids people take 3 vehicles to arrive at destination.

I'm not familiar with the network design in Napoli, but it is probably affected on the same way, too many buses duplicating rail and subway routes.
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #18953
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9150

I also got 9/10... where to apply for citizenship? Oh, gosh, I forgot... British wont accept us naughty 37 mln Bulgarians and Romanians
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #18954
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
I got 8 of 10, and met the criteria percentage. Am I now forced to take the citizenship of the UK?
8 out of ten for me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
April 30th will no longer be a holiday in Netherlands. That will be moved to April 27th, the day of birth of Willem-Alexander.
Had the Queen abdicated on April 29th, you would've skipped one holiday

Quote:
Many Italian cities have outdated networks of urban public transportation, with an excessive number of buses aiming at providing one-seat rides, which mean buses clogging central areas.

The concept of integrated fares and transfers hasn't arrived in many places. As many provinces and cities are facing financial crisis, they cannot afford the hefty subsidies they pay for transit agencies. Fares are often too low as well.

ATM, the transit agency of Milano, had an abysmal farebox recovery ratio of 16%. It increased a bit when they jacked up fares 1 1/2 years ago, but still lackluster. They have many duplicate bus routes, God forbids people take 3 vehicles to arrive at destination.

I'm not familiar with the network design in Napoli, but it is probably affected on the same way, too many buses duplicating rail and subway routes.
I don't know too much about Naples, but its public transportation network is quite extended. When I was there I enjoyed riding the subway train.
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #18955
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:

doesnt surprise me, i took a regional bus in Salerno, we were 3 people on it, like kings, and it was very cheap.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #18956
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

0/10 I dont know UK at all
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #18957
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
I don't know too much about Naples, but its public transportation network is quite extended. When I was there I enjoyed riding the subway train.
The problem is not the subway, not even the Circumvesuviana (though it is crap and need new trains badly), but buses. Despite the whining about fuel costs, the total cost incurred on bus drivers (not only their wage but taxes on wages, paid leave etc. etc.) is the biggest component of the bus system, whereas in the subway one single driver can drive a vehicle transporting much more people.
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #18958
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
The problem is not the subway, not even the Circumvesuviana (though it is crap and need new trains badly), but buses. Despite the whining about fuel costs, the total cost incurred on bus drivers (not only their wage but taxes on wages, paid leave etc. etc.) is the biggest component of the bus system, whereas in the subway one single driver can drive a vehicle transporting much more people.
Yes but maintenance is much more expensive for subway than for buses.
Old January 30th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #18959
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg

doesnt surprise me, i took a regional bus in Salerno, we were 3 people on it, like kings, and it was very cheap.
PT fares are usually subsidized (i.e. costs aren't covered entirely by tickets).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #18960
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
0/10
I got 4/10. Luckily I'm not aspiring after British citizenship.

hofburg liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways