daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #18981
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Mainly it means regional administrators are morons voted by other morons who don't give a damn about anything of public property. And that's it.

Believe me, my main activity is about studying and promoting PT...

Being less acid: PT, and especially rail services, works very well as long as you plan it carefully. If you stop planning, then you get just a bunch of money-eating useless vehicles which will not be used by people because they won't be found useful. Then, of course, it's less expensive closing them down... until you have to face the indirect costs of private mobility, but that comes later, so in the meantime everything seems nice.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #18982
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Was this law recently introduced by Victor Orban? I read that generated a controversy with Slovakia, that was once part of the Hungarian Kingdom and has still Hungarian minorities.
Well the controversy was about Slovakians deciding that those who obtain the foreing (Hungarian) citizenship in this manner (but it was defined in general way I think) would lose the Slovakian one, which I find quite understandable.

Btw. the Germans have similar approach to granting citizenship to those "ethnic Germans" living abroad.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #18983
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Being less acid: PT, and especially rail services, works very well as long as you plan it carefully. If you stop planning, then you get just a bunch of money-eating useless vehicles which will not be used by people because they won't be found useful. Then, of course, it's less expensive closing them down... until you have to face the indirect costs of private mobility, but that comes later, so in the meantime everything seems nice.
I agree with you on this, but hey, this applies to pretty much everything.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #18984
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Btw. the Germans have similar approach to granting citizenship to those "ethnic Germans" living abroad.
Italians too. You needn't speaking Italian, just having some Italian ancestors. In practice, half of South America could apply for Italian citizenship.
Old January 30th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #18985
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

I remember seeing pictures, during the Argentine economic crash of about 2002, of lines outside the Italian embassy in Buenos Aires.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #18986
Orionol
Mötesplatsen

Likes (Received): 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Correct, but just in case your great-grandfather was born in what was then Hungary...
Oh and I already signed up for learn-Hungarian lessons.
Old January 30th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #18987
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

These are the trains from Circumvesuviana

Europe or Central Africa? Terrible infrastructure with overgrown grass, graffiti, broken windows, litter on tracks - and we even haven't started talking of low reliability of service.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #18988
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Someone here wrote about Bosnia and Herzegovina being not covered in Google Maps. I just tried to route in BiH, and it really works. I'm guessing the road network is not the best though...

Last edited by cinxxx; January 30th, 2013 at 05:21 PM.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #18989
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Someone here wrote about Bosnia and Herzegovina being not covered in Google Maps. I just tried to route in BiH, and it really works. I'm guessing the road network is not the best though...
that must be something new.
Old January 31st, 2013, 01:32 AM   #18990
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Bosnia and Herzegovina does not have the best network of the world, but it is still quite good if we take into account very demanding terrain, which makes any motorway construction over central Bosnia incredibly expensive task.

However you can be sure, that Sarajevo has quite more than two (2) roads. Compare Google Maps coverage with Openstreetmap and see difference
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 12:35 PM   #18991
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Meanwhile in Ferrara, Italy:

Old January 31st, 2013, 01:33 PM   #18992
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Lithuania now has Google Street view!!!
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:55 PM   #18993
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

It'll keep the cyclists awake anyway.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:56 PM   #18994
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Bosnia and Herzegovina does not have the best network of the world, but it is still quite good if we take into account very demanding terrain, which makes any motorway construction over central Bosnia incredibly expensive task.

However you can be sure, that Sarajevo has quite more than two (2) roads. Compare Google Maps coverage with Openstreetmap and see difference
I ment the roads found on Google maps. At least you can route those.
But I'm sure the infrastructure is far better then many think, and not only limited to what we see on GMaps...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 04:28 PM   #18995
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Lithuania now has Google Street view!!!
And also Austria has Street Ski View .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:24 PM   #18996
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

So, the fricking TV show that two or three times a month closes streets in my neighborhood, including my block, to parking so they can park their filming equipment there premieres tonight....

http://www.nbc.com/do-no-harm/

Last time they did this was yesterday, so I guess they're working on episodes for later in the season.

At least they're not doing the film-in-Philadelphia-but-pretend-it's-New-York bit. I suppose I'll have to watch to see if there's anything recognizable....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:29 PM   #18997
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Usually is film-in-Vancouver-but-pretend-it's-New-York...
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:39 PM   #18998
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Or Canada in general. (I'm not sure how easily Vancouver passes for New York; it's more likely film-in-[oh, screw the hyphens] Vancouver and call it Seattle or LA, film in Toronto and call it New York....)

I guess it's good for the city that this sort of thing is going on - at one point last fall there were two or three things being filmed simultaneously - but the selfish part of me is a bit annoyed. I had to come back early from Thanksgiving weekend because there was a closure for filming starting at 6 p.m. Sunday, so if I wanted to park in my block it would have to be earlier than that. Not that I expect to be able to park in my own block, or mind walking a couple of blocks, but I had stuff to bring inside. So it was, arrive early enough, unload, then move the car to a legal spot at a time when everyone else is doing the same thing....

Ahem. End soapbox mode.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 31st, 2013, 06:42 PM   #18999
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

there is a little debate about unpaved roads in Italy at their thread. do you have them in your countries? i don't mean the paths, but the roads.
afaik we have one state road that is unpaved, it is D49 at one part. i drove it 2 years ago and it is very interesting. here is the most interesting part of it:
https://maps.google.hr/?ll=45.523082...185.45,,0,5.23
Old January 31st, 2013, 07:18 PM   #19000
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type
there is a little debate about unpaved roads in Italy at their thread. do you have them in your countries? i don't mean the paths, but the roads.
afaik we have one state road that is unpaved, it is D49 at one part. i drove it 2 years ago and it is very interesting. here is the most interesting part of it:
https://maps.google.hr/?ll=45.523082...185.45,,0,5.23
I know a couple of SP (provincial roads) that aren't paved but they connect nothing but some isolated country houses and farms. I don't know why they are classificated as SPs.
Dirt roads connecting towns are very rare in Western Europe.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways