daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 4th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #19081
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

Quote:
Super Bowl contest winner denied entry to U.S.
A Vancouver Island man who won an all-expenses-paid trip to the Super Bowl in New Orleans has been refused entry into the U.S. because of a marijuana possession conviction dating back to 1981.

Victoria resident Myles Wilkinson won the trip in a fantasy football league contest, competing against nearly four million other players for the chance to attend the National Football League championship, featuring the Baltimore Ravens and the San Francisco 49ers.

But when he got to Pearson International Airport in Toronto on Thursday, U.S. customs agents learned of a marijuana possession conviction in Vancouver in 1981 and told him he was not allowed to enter the country.

"I had two grams of cannabis. I paid a $50 fine," Wilkinson told CBC news.

Wilkinson said he was 19 when he was busted.

"I can't believe that this is happening, for something that happened 32 years ago."

[...]
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-us-entry.html
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #19082
pobre diablo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 316

They have US customs in Canadian airports?
pobre diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:38 AM   #19083
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

That's just insane. Being treated like an Al Qaeda member just for a little juvenile trasgression. not that I want to defend drug usage, but it's plain ridiculous and reflects the hypocrisy and backwardness that exist in American laws much more than in Europe.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #19084
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
That's just insane. Being treated like an Al Qaeda member just for a little juvenile trasgression. not that I want to defend drug usage, but it's plain ridiculous and reflects the hypocrisy and backwardness that exist in American laws much more than in Europe.
He should have applied to a visa if he had any criminal conviction.

Australia also keep people out on visa waiver travle if they have such troubles. Only continental Europe is lazy on that aspect, letting even things like assault or theft go forgiven for visa free travel purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre diablo View Post

They have US customs in Canadian airports?
In some airports. It's called pre-clearance, so flights from certain Canadian airports can be offered to many US destinations that don't have international facilities.

There are such facilities also in Aruba, Ireland and a couple other Caribbean islands

There is something like that in Europe: British customs facilities in Calais (ferries), Bruxelles and Paris (train Eurostar)

Penn's Woods liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 05:17 AM   #19085
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Seems it was Canada that convicted the guy for possession. So the backwardness and hypocrisy are, um, not exclusively ours here. Is it a case of ALL criminal convictions outside the U.S. disqualifying you for entry? It would be ironic if Europeans could be excluded from the U.S. because they'd been convicted there for, say, wearing an Islamic head scarf on the street or violating one of Europe's many limits on free speech. ;-) Things they'd have an absolute right to do here.

And Google keeps feeding me automated ads when I'm on SSC lately which include "Entering Canada on a DUI?" (DUI = driving under the influence) I haven't paid attention to these ads - it's not an issue for me - but I take it foreigners with DUI's on their record might have trouble entering Canada.

EDIT: In fact, the notion of the U.S. keeping people out for actions that would be protected here by the First Amendment presents an interesting Constitutional issue. Wonder if it's ever come up....

EDIT 2: An American trying to enter Canada with a conviction for possession of marijuana would have had the same problem: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...on.aspx?view=d, 2d section.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; February 4th, 2013 at 05:35 AM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #19086
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
violating one of Europe's many limits on free speech.
Which are these exactly?

BTW, coming from a person who gets all upset when somebody criticizes the US, you do generalise quite a bit - Europe isn't a single country.

Verso, Suburbanist liked this post
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 02:57 AM   #19087
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

He must be talking about Belarus.

RipleyLV liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #19088
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Which are these exactly?

BTW, coming from a person who gets all upset when somebody criticizes the US, you do generalise quite a bit - Europe isn't a single country.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/24/op...ojan.html?_r=0

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...-laws/1613057/

http://www.voanews.com/content/analy...w/1512559.html

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/22/169998...st-hate-speech

A non-American (it seems) point of view saying we have too much free speech here: http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn....fling-to-many/

And I learned last week lèse-majesté is still a crime in the Netherlands. What century is this?

I am aware Europe isn't a single country. I didn't say it was. But these phenomena do exist "in Europe" and are in fact fairly widespread.

And I do not get "all upset," or even simply upset, at legitimate, factual criticism, just at ignorant criticism and blatantly xenophobic stereotypes. (Just because I believe - unlike many European governments - in your right to express blatantly xenophobic opinions doesn't mean I have to agree with them.)

I responded calmly, politely and factually to italystf's point. If you and anyone else want to make something of it, enjoy yourselves; you'll be doing it without me. No matter how many "likes" you tally for it.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK, Lum Lumi liked this post

Last edited by Penn's Woods; February 5th, 2013 at 07:12 AM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #19089
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1821

Maybe it's a cultural thing but hate speeches aren't considered as part of free speech, at least not in Estonia. For example, organising a protest agains muslims/jews/whoever isn't what the free speech principle is supposed to protect.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #19090
italystf

Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/24/op...ojan.html?_r=0

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...-laws/1613057/

http://www.voanews.com/content/analy...w/1512559.html

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/22/169998...st-hate-speech

A non-American (it seems) point of view saying we have too much free speech here: http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn....fling-to-many/

And I learned last week lèse-majesté is still a crime in the Netherlands. What century is this?

I am aware Europe isn't a single country. I didn't say it was. But these phenomena do exist "in Europe" and are in fact fairly widespread.

And I do not get "all upset," or even simply upset, at legitimate, factual criticism, just at ignorant criticism and blatantly xenophobic stereotypes. (Just because I believe - unlike many European governments - in your right to express blatantly xenophobic opinions doesn't mean I have to agree with them.)

I responded calmly, politely and factually to italystf's point. If you and anyone else want to make something of it, enjoy yourselves; you'll be doing it without me. No matter how many "likes" you tally for it.
In Italy is forbidden to insult the flag, the constitution, to pronunce hate speech against certain ethnic groups, religions or homosexuals, to apologize fascism and nazism (but, strangely, not communism or other regimes), to display nazi-fascist symbols, to defamate or insult people, to educate other to break the law.
Lack of free speech is not democracy, but also tolerating hate speech isn't.
I think every European country, as well other democracies such the USA, Canada, Japan, Australia,... have such laws.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old February 5th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #19091
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Can I burn US dollar note in USA? How not? It is just one dollar. What century is this?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #19092
Verso
Islander

Quote:
I responded calmly, politely and factually to italystf's point.
You responded like an attention *****, as usually.

keokiracer liked this post
Old February 5th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #19093
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
In Italy is forbidden to insult the flag, the constitution, to pronunce hate speech against certain ethnic groups, religions or homosexuals, to apologize fascism and nazism (but, strangely, not communism or other regimes), to display nazi-fascist symbols, to defamate or insult people, to educate other to break the law.
Lack of free speech is not democracy, but also tolerating hate speech isn't.
I think every European country, as well other democracies such the USA, Canada, Japan, Australia,... have such laws.
Why not let the suckers that spew hate speech out in the open, so we can see who they are and what they're up to? Or do you want them to hide their grudges in their basements so that they will take us by surprise?

In my opinion free speech ends with violence. Stop this thing where we are afraid to offend other people, because one opinion might be offensive to the other one anyway. And if you cannot handle that, than you're exactly the same as any Nazi, terrorist, communist and dictator roaming this planet.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #19094
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post

Why not let the suckers that spew hate speech out in the open, so we can see who they are and what they're up to? Or do you want them to hide their grudges in their basements so that they will take us by surprise?

In my opinion free speech ends with violence. Stop this thing where we are afraid to offend other people, because one opinion might be offensive to the other one anyway. And if you cannot handle that, than you're exactly the same as any Nazi, terrorist, communist and dictator roaming this planet.
If our democracy states that everybody is equal in front of the law and has the same rights and duties regardeless his social status, race, gender, sexual preference, political or religious view this must be enforced.
If someone make a discrimination, for example refusing to hire someone because she's a woman, or he's black, muslim, atheist, etc... he commits a violation.
Same with defamation: if you say that a rival honest professionist is a thief to drive customers away from him, you should be punished since your freedom to say whatever you want ends where starts the freedom of the other to be respected.
Old February 5th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #19095
Road_UK
BANNED

That is not free speech.
Old February 5th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #19096
italystf

Quote:
That is not free speech.
The problem is: where to draw a line between free speech and defamation. Hate speech is often associated with disrespect towards the discriminated categories and here is the problem.
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #19097
Verso
Islander

Quote:
In my opinion free speech ends with violence.
Violence is an action, not speech, to begin with. My opinion is somewhere between that of you and italystf. Calling for violence shouldn't be tolerated IMO, but insulting others should, even if it's not a nice thing to do (I'm talking about real life, of course, not this forum).
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #19098
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

Violence is an action, not speech, to begin with. My opinion is somewhere between that of you and italystf. Calling for violence shouldn't be tolerated IMO, but insulting others should, even if it's not a nice thing to do (I'm talking about real life, of course, not this forum).
Depend what kind of insult. If you scream "stupid" to someone who crossed the road in front of you or spilled some drink on your clothes or to a footballer who miss a goal is normal, I don't say that you should be punished for that.
But if you regularily humiliate a collegue because you want persuade him to fire himself or you advocate that categories such ethnic minorities or LGBT are inferiors to the "majority" this is unacceptable. I don't say you should be jailed for hate speech, but maybe fined in proportion of the social harm causated by your speech.
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #19099
Verso
Islander

I disagree. If you don't like what you hear, you should just ignore it. I don't feel inferior just because someone told me so (and if I do, I should get more self-confidence or stop being strange, if I am).
Old February 5th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #19100
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I disagree. If you don't like what you hear, you should just ignore it. I don't feel inferior just because someone told me so (and if I do, I should get more self-confidence or stop being strange, if I am).
There is this Dutch celebrity who said it just right: You see and hear stuff on the tv that you don't like. Things that you disagree with, or you might even get offended. But you create a defensive shield for yourself and you move on. That's what you do in a free society.

Tell that to these *******s in the Middle East who get all upset and weary about a few cartoons in a Danish newspaper... They are offended and respond with violence and anger...

Wouldn't it be much better to either ignore ignorance, or start a debate with words rather than guns?

Tags
highways, motorways