daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 14th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #19241
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Well, Tilburg is not the prettiest place. A lot of boring concrete and bricks. I suppose it could go for a suburb to Eindhoven or Antwerp...
Tilburg has some VERY NICE suburbs, but regrettably I can't afford places like these yet:

http://goo.gl/maps/PUJn1
http://goo.gl/maps/aEL82
http://goo.gl/maps/b0Mly
http://goo.gl/maps/MKWKS
http://goo.gl/maps/0wAqE
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #19242
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

How much does cost for example a house on first or second link?

(not that I would want to live in a boring flatland, just curiosity)
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #19243
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
How much does cost for example a house on first or second link?

(not that I would want to live in a boring flatland, just curiosity)
The detached ones would cost from € 310.000 upwards listed price (probably less with discounts given the lousy market), they have 135m² of heated area
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #19244
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Nice surprise this morning: thieves broke the window of my car and stole my gps and the car registration document, and during the process broke the driver's chair also.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #19245
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Nice surprise this morning: thieves broke the window of my car and stole my gps and the car registration document, and during the process broke the driver's chair also.
That's sad
Years ago I was attending a wedding ceremony at a church. When we left the church, many of our cars had broken windows and presents were stolen
I wonder what they do with your car documents.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #19246
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I wonder what they do with your car documents.
Yes, this is the thing that concerns me most. I fear they might break into my home now that they know the address.
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #19247
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

That is why I never leave the car papers in the car.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #19248
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That is why I never leave the car papers in the car.
I really never gave a thought about this. I -almost- always take valuables with me. This time I left the gps in the car out of distraction, but it was not visible from the outside (it was wrapped in a little sack of a cheese brand). I guess they saw the gps power cable and the frame and they went to see if the unit was there too.

I went this morning to Carabinieri, and a couple behind me had the same thing done to the car, but they didn't steal the papers.
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #19249
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

that sucks
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #19250
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Quote:
Yes, this is the thing that concerns me most. I fear they might break into my home now that they know the address.
But they could break into any house. Maybe they could clone your identity if they have enough data on the papers. Else, they can come to your house and watch if you are on vacation and then break in. But they can also do this anywhere else.

While in Germany I always leave the Autoschein inside, to not have to get it every time I drive somewhere. The other paper that contains the paper with you can sell the car stays at home.

In Prague I took everything from the car, and left the glove department open empty. Anyway, nothing happened.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #19251
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I must say those thieves have some style. They left a chocolate candy on the passenger's seat. I guess they remembered about Valentine's day.
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #19252
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Quote:
I must say those thieves have some style. They left a chocolate candy on the passenger's seat. I guess they remembered about Valentine's day.

I didn't have such experiences, but it's certainly not nice. Besides the things they steal from the car, sometimes not being so much, it's the damage they do to the car that's bad, replacing the window, and in your case the passenger seat. Sometimes I'm thinking you can leave the car door open, so at least they don't destroy anything to get in...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #19253
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Yeah, hopefully my insurance company is gonna pay the damages (I'm not sure yet). But I lost one day at a job I'm still a probationer, forced me to rent a car for the weekend (tomorrow is Brescia's patron day and everything is closed - but I work outside Brescia so I still have to go to work), and have to rebuy a GPS, and no insurance company is going to refund those.
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #19254
italystf

Quote:

Maybe they stole the papers to check later if there was cash or something else valuable hidden in the stash. If so, they will throw your papers either in a trash can or in a post box, depending how bad criminals they are. If you have an expensive car they can assume you're rich and burglarize your house.
Quote:
Mocking level: 1000000

Anyway, the GPS unit should never be keep in plain sight inside your parked car.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old February 14th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #19255
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Maybe they stole the papers to check later if there was cash or something else valuable hidden in the stash. If so, they will throw your papers either in a trash can or in a post box, depending how bad criminals they are.
I hoped they threw away my papers in the nearby fields, but found nothing.

Quote:
If you have an expensive car they can assume you're rich and burglarize your house.
My car was the second cheapest in the whole street, only an 80s Fiat Panda was cheaper.

Quote:
Mocking level: 1000000

Anyway, the GPS unit should never be keep in plain sight inside your parked car.
It wasn't. As I said, it was in the door's inside pocket, wrapped into a jute sack with "Formaggio di Fossa" written on it. Cables, but above all the holder, were visible from the outside.
I must say, a Formaggio di Fossa would have been more expensive than my 6-years-old gps unit.
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #19256
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

Quote:
That's cold.

And also slightly funny, sorry.

Do you use your gps much?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #19257
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
That's cold.

And also slightly funny, sorry.

Do you use your gps much?
As a matter of fact not that much in recent times. But yes, I use it quite frequently. I guess I have to buy a new one.

I reported the theft to Garmin and if someone connects with Garmin website with my unit, they can block it.
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #19258
italystf

Quote:
As a matter of fact not that much in recent times. But yes, I use it quite frequently. I guess I have to buy a new one.

I reported the theft to Garmin and if someone connects with Garmin website with my unit, they can block it.
What about purchasing a smarthphone with integrated GPS, if you don't already own one? You don't need to have another device in the car and, since it's connected to the net, it doesn't need to be update (it uses Google Maps).
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #19259
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

It's an idea. But net connection isn't for free, and I'm not willing to pay for something even when I'm not using it.
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #19260
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
No, I didn't vote for Beppe Grillo's (5 stelle) list (nor did I vote for crazy commies). I voted for a blogger with whom I've had occasional contact and now is running. There is an Italian voting "district" for Europe, it elects 5 deputies and 2 senators.
The "weirdly dressed journalist" was my definition for Oscar Giannino of "Fermare il declino" liberal party, which I'm going to vote

My description of Grillo would have sounded... well, better not saying
We can just say I'd see him right in that "10 most dangerous EU politicans" list that was posted here some days ago.

Quote:
It's an idea. But net connection isn't for free, and I'm not willing to pay for something even when I'm not using it.
There are pretty good offline nav programs for Android, based on OSM maps. My favourite is this one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mF2aWdhdG9yIl0.

A smartphone without net connection would be a problem for me, but I see many people using it as a standard phone and using just WiFi at home and work.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways