daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #1
jaybob
A Tale of Two Cities

Likes (Received): 0

MISC | Greatest Potential Rail Journies

I have a wish that once I retire I would like to travel overland by rail from the U.K to Southern India. Then a short flight to Sri Lanka and travel by rail there. Is such a journey possible? I have been trying to establish what would be the best route so any ideas from you guys out there would be greatly appreciated.

Also if you could travel on your dream rail journey what would it be?
jaybob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #2
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

You cannot reach India by train right now. It has only a connection to Pakistan, and not further.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #3
pewpewpew

You could technically get a train all the way from London to Lhasa in Tibet, cross Nepal into North India and then continue.
pewpewpew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #4
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 5

Surely you can go from Lisbon to Vladivostok?
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #5
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfabyanos View Post
Surely you can go from Lisbon to Vladivostok?
Looking at Google Maps, the longest journey you could take all by rail would be from Lisbon to Ho Chi Minh City, though a line from China to Thailand is being built and in a few yeas you can get to Singapore all by rail. You will have to travel by metro to change stations in Paris, Moscow, and Beijing, but that still counts as rail. :P
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #6
Pommy

It may be possible to get a train to India via Iran. You can definitely get to Terran and I think you can get to Kerman. I think there may also be a line from Pakistan to Zahedan Just inside Iran. I'm not sure if these two places are linked, but I thought there were plans. It would be a fantastic journey.

I would like to do Wick to Singapore when the line through Cambodia is finnished. At the moment there are only buses between Ho Chi Minh and Phnum Phen and Battambang to the Thai border.
Pommy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #7
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
It may be possible to get a train to India via Iran. You can definitely get to Terran and I think you can get to Kerman. I think there may also be a line from Pakistan to Zahedan Just inside Iran. I'm not sure if these two places are linked, but I thought there were plans.
There are plans but news about construction progress in Iran is hard to come by. As there has been no announcements, I assume that the connection is not yet complete.
Old February 20th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #8
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
Looking at Google Maps, the longest journey you could take all by rail would be from Lisbon to Ho Chi Minh City, though a line from China to Thailand is being built and in a few yeas you can get to Singapore all by rail. You will have to travel by metro to change stations in Paris, Moscow, and Beijing, but that still counts as rail. :P
You don't have to go through Paris. You can go for example via Zürich where you can change trains at the same station.

Don't know if there is a way around Moscow

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #9
jaybob
A Tale of Two Cities

I like the idea of going via Iran and Pakistan. As you say info on Iran is sketchy at best. However with the revised rail link between India and Pakistan does open up some possibilities. It would be nice if it could be done all by rail, but may have to accept some short stints on road etc.
jaybob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:05 PM   #10
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

I fancy travelling by train to Buenos Aires from Montreal . . . possibly on my one-way ticket!
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #11
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybob View Post
I like the idea of going via Iran and Pakistan. As you say info on Iran is sketchy at best. However with the revised rail link between India and Pakistan does open up some possibilities. It would be nice if it could be done all by rail, but may have to accept some short stints on road etc.
The rail link between Bam and Zahedan is likely to be completed soon. India and Iran have very good relationships and they need a rail link. In fact this link mostly depends on the relations between India and Pakistan, as trafic would go though this country. China also have huge rail projects between Iran and China and between Pakistan and China.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #12
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

From www.iran-daily.com

Quote:
Zahedan-Bam Railroad near Completion:
Bam-Zahedan railroad extends over 323 kilometers.
Europe and Asia will be linked with the completion of the Zahedan-Bam railway line, Sistan-Baluchestan governor general said.
Habibollah Dahmardeh noted that the project’s physical progress had been meager in the past ten years, Persian daily ’Iran’ wrote.
He added that the cabinet had approved 1.45 trillion rials for the project during the cabinet’s visit to this southeastern province in December 2005. The fund exceeds the total credit earmarked for the project in the past 10 years, he pointed out.
The official explained that railway lines are currently being laid on the Zahedan-Bam route. He put the length of Zahedan-Kerman route at 548 kilometers, of which Bam-Kerman route has been completed.
Dahmardeh elaborated that Bam-Zahedan railroad extends for 323 kilometers, adding that with the allocation of funds, construction operations will be accelerated.
He said that once one trillion rials is allocated, the entire route will become operational in the year to March 2009.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:38 PM   #13
Dinuś
Railfan

Likes (Received): 18

Great news! Can't wait to travel all the way from Haydarpasa to Pakistan by train (forget the ferry on Lake Van). I rode the train from Kerman to Bam already in 2005, but there was only one connection a day and the travelling speed wasn't very spectacular but I hope the true potential will be unlocked once Zahedan is linked to the rest of the Iranian railroad network.
Dinuś no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 06:05 PM   #14
Svajoklis

Pretty much all of these questions can be answered by www.seat61.com !
Svajoklis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #15
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

There have been a number of threads on this theme on this forum, including one I started myself: Ten Longest Continuous Railway Journeys on Earth
... it seemed that somewhere in Norway or Portugal was in fact further than Wick or Thurso in Scotland from, at the moment, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. There are apparently plans to link Thailand with Vietnam, which means you'll be able to catch the train to Singapore (via Beijing).

Other threads which are related:

The 5,000-km Singapore-Kunming Rail link
How far can you travel by standard gauge rail?

Singapore to Kyle of Lochalsh sounds like a pretty good trip to me ...

Last edited by Yardmaster; March 24th, 2008 at 06:32 PM.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #16
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

May I recommend the book 'the great railway bazaar' by Paul Theroux? Although it's dated (1975), it's an excellent read, and the author travels from London to Asia by rail, crossing countries like Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Japan and Rusland.
Joop20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #17
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
May I recommend the book 'the great railway bazaar' by Paul Theroux? Although it's dated (1975), it's an excellent read, and the author travels from London to Asia by rail, crossing countries like Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Japan and Rusland.
I commend it too ... read it already!
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #18
sathya_226
DIPLOMAT

Likes (Received): 44

Wait for another 2 years ! Some super speed maglev trains are comin up right here in India! U ppl will get another kinda experience once it is established!
sathya_226 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #19
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

and when it's connected from Iran to Thailand ...
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #20
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster View Post
I commend it too ... read it already!
Have you read 'the old patagonian express' as well? Is it equally good?
Joop20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote